• ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    H
    Gaetz has had an ethics investigation that McCarthy wouldn't kill.
    Gaetz had no plan but revenge and self-promotion.
    Gaetz was the biggest roadblock to conservative budget measures.
    Gaetz leveraged Democrats to push his personal agenda.
    The idea that this is about debt or principal with Gaetz is insane.

He should be expelled from the GOP.https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12593125/The-allegations-Matt-Gaetz-denied-Sex-17-year-old-girl-ecstasy-sugar-daddy-websites-trips-young-women-Bahamas-misusing-campaign-funds.html
    Here’s your link fixed

IF this is true as written then I may stand corrected and can change my tune, but which came first, the chicken or the egg? Is the ethics committee investigating at the request of McCarthy or those for him? Seems to be what Gaetz is trying to claim.

Could almost every congressman be investigated for something like this?

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    The concept of compromise is not a panacea as some are saying here, and using the Constitution as an absolute justification is just not accurate. The Constitution was indeed full of compromises between people devoted to create a more perfect union. Our Founding Fathers however did not compromise with King George to get what they want. They threw tea in the harbor and fought a bloody asymmetrical conflict.

Now I am not saying that the other side is making plans to round us up (even though some have literally said that is their intentions, just not on Capitol Hill), I am saying that these are not people focused on what is good for the American people. It's more like a bureaucratic complex making these several thousand page omnibus bills filled with six ways from Sunday to launder money, while most of the legi-critters in congress get fat and happy as the political spectrum continues to polarize. Hell, a two party system wasn't originally intended, but quickly devolved to it after Washington.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The concept of compromise is not a panacea as some are saying here, and using the Constitution as an absolute justification is just not accurate. The Constitution was indeed full of compromises between people devoted to create a more perfect union. Our Founding Fathers however did not compromise with King George to get what they want. They threw tea in the harbor and fought a bloody asymmetrical conflict.

Now I am not saying that the other side is making plans to round us up (even though some have literally said that is their intentions, just not on Capitol Hill), I am saying that these are not people focused on what is good for the American people. It's more like a bureaucratic complex making these several thousand page omnibus bills filled with six ways from Sunday to launder money, while most of the legi-critters in congress get fat and happy as the political spectrum continues to polarize. Hell, a two party system wasn't originally intended, but quickly devolved to it after Washington.
    Compromising to bring about good is one thing. However, Compromising to give up rights, and to skirt, or water down the constitution is another. The later should never be Compromised.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    H

Here’s your link fixed

IF this is true as written then I may stand corrected and can change my tune, but which came first, the chicken or the egg? Is the ethics committee investigating at the request of McCarthy or those for him? Seems to be what Gaetz is trying to claim.

This once again demonstrates how when the leftist politicians are called out for potential ethics violations their supporters either do not care or do not believe the allegations. An allegation, true or not, against a conservative does at least some damage and can be lethal.

Another example of the lefts use of conservatives morals and standards to win…

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    H

Here’s your link fixed

Ethics committee investigation started before McCarthy became Speaker and no, I don't think almost every member of Congress is passing photos of the minors they banged.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So... someone help me out here.

I keep hearing the question asked, "What could McCarthy have realistically done?"

Isn't one of the very specific things that he promised to do in the list of conditions that Gaetz et al. made when they voted for him, to start making individual bills to vote on individual portions of the budget, rather than keep brining up omnibus bills with every politician's pet spending crammed into one fat package, that the Republicans would then feel obligated to pass because they feel like the Democrats have a gun to their head in the form of the Republicans always being blamed by the media for an eventual so-call "shutdown"?

As speaker of the house, wasn't that something 100% in his power to do?

And wouldn't this be a very mart political move, too? Even if it wasn't feasible to literally vote on every individual item, separating out the really contentious bits of spending into separate bills, and getting and early start on it, even if it didn't change the outcome right away, would be a huge step in the right direction. We would get to see which Republicans really can put there money where there mouth is, and whether or not they would really vote to cut any spending when their precious excuse of "I had to vote for that spending to avoid a government shutdown" is taken away.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue, but it seems like a very simple concept, and a very simple promise to keep.

I'm not going to start throwing around terms like "traitor", "RINO", and "Xtreme! MAGA Republican™" but I'm just sayin', I don't know that I would've done differently in Gaetz's shoes. Yes, Gaetz is in a minority in the House of Representatives, so he has to recognize that compromise is inevitable. But, IMHO, he showed willingness to compromise when he voted for McCarthy. But he didn't just do the lefty version of compromise where he folded to the other side and got nothing back. No, he got my favorite "real compromise™" and got the other side to give something back to him as well, in the form of a promise. One of the key components of that promise was a change to the way budgets are handled, so that he could at least be allowed to vote on individual items piecemeal, rather than the all-or-nothing budget game that is a crucial part of how the swamp keeps their smoke and mirrors going so that politicians can claim to be conservative, but keep right on voting for crazy huge spending. That was a major step in the right direction, and something simple, and 100% within the power of the Speaker of the House.

So what's he supposed to do when that promise is just flat out reneged for no reason? Just accept being lied to, and fade away into utter irrelevance, with every one of his colleagues knowing that they can now lie to him, cheat, reneg on their promises, and Gaetz is the man who may make fiery speeches against it, but in the end will always be a good little doormat, and roll over and accept the wishes of the uniparty anyways?

I don't know about you, but I couldn't do that, no even for the "good of the party." Not even for the sake of my precious "real compromise™".
    You pretty much covered what McCarthy could have done. He didn’t have to go make deals with Democrats for yet another can kicking omnibus bill. If the output of the house had been several individual spending bills he would still be speaker. But he had to fondle him some establishment.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Nehls says he will now back Jordan as the nominee after having a phone conversation with Trump in which Trump told him Jordan was the right man for the job.

He said he told Trump "Boss you are the leader of the party, and if you believe it's the right thing to do I will support that."

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    When it's said that eight R's voted with the D's to oust the Speaker, it's technically wrong. In fact, the D's voted with eight R's to oust the Speaker. Sometimes semantics matter. Kinda like "don't say gay" bill says no such thing. Moving a book from one location to another in a library isn't "book banning". Control the language, control the conversation. McCarthy agreed to be subject to removal from Speaker position if he didn't keep his committments. He didn't keep his committments.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When it's said that eight R's voted with the D's to oust the Speaker, it's technically wrong. In fact, the D's voted with eight R's to oust the Speaker. Sometimes semantics matter. Kinda like "don't say gay" bill says no such thing. Moving a book from one location to another in a library isn't "book banning". Control the language, control the conversation. McCarthy agreed to be subject to removal from Speaker position if he didn't keep his committments. He didn't keep his committments.

'Bout time someone said this correctly!

:rockwoot:

Top Bottom