Mayors Against Illegal Guns at Purdue University! Please Help!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I got video. I'm uploading to Youtube now. My flash card became full. :( I lost the last 5-10 minutes of it.
    I'm surprised I didn't get shouted down when I started on the using a fist with no training to kill someone.

It was great to finally meet everyone. Mr Freeman is right. We have to neutralize Purdue Police. Then the staffs "OMG I'll get shot for a bad grade" can be handled properly.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I got video. I'm uploading to Youtube now. My flash card became full. :( I lost the last 5-10 minutes of it.
    I'm surprised I didn't get shouted down when I started on the using a fist with no training to kill someone.

It was great to finally meet everyone. Mr Freeman is right. We have to neutralize Purdue Police. Then the staffs "OMG I'll get shot for a bad grade" can be handled properly.
    Link ASAP!

ttrimcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Lafayette
    Really wish I would've seen this before now... Would have gotten the whole shop I work with over there. Every single person in there knows how to shoot and at least 4 are carrying at all times!

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    The campus cops are the center squares on the chess board. Everyone kept pivoting to the Chief. Heck, even the antis that were screaming at me said "ask the cops!"

We need a thread on how to deal with them.
    Yea the chief of Purdue police is a huge advocate for anti gun on campus. He is very instrumental in gun Control on campus. I have quite a few friends on the force and they are not huge fans of the chief.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yea the chief of Purdue police is a huge advocate for anti gun on campus. He is very instrumental in gun Control on campus. I have quite a few friends on the force and they are not huge fans of the chief.

This should surprise no one. It is critical when we discuss campus police politics that we separate the line officer from the brass.

As with almost every department, morale and common sense improve beyond the shadow of the flagpole.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    This should surprise no one. It is critical when we discuss campus police politics that we separate the line officer from the brass.

As with almost every department, morale and common sense improve beyond the shadow of the flagpole.

I know of at least two officers that patrol, that are more than happy to enter a vehicle on a traffic stop, and temporarily confiscate a legally licensed handgun. "It's procedure". Chief Cox makes "procedure", but most of his officers are more than willing to follow them.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I know of at least two officers that patrol, that are more than happy to enter a vehicle on a traffic stop, and temporarily confiscate a legally licensed handgun. "It's procedure". Chief Cox makes "procedure", but most of his officers are more than willing to follow them.
    If you choose to inform,follow it by saying something alongthe lines of "...and I do not censent to searches and seizures of myself or my property."If they insist,let them know that it is against your will and tell them that it's safer for everyone if it remains in the holster/glovebox/console rather than being handled.

If it goes past that,go over their head once the interaction is over.If the brass is no help,who is their boss?Talk to them.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    If you choose to inform,follow it by saying something alongthe lines of "...and I do not censent to searches and seizures of myself or my property."If they insist,let them know that it is against your will and tell them that it's safer for everyone if it remains in the holster/glovebox/console rather than being handled.

If it goes past that,go over their head once the interaction is over.If the brass is no help,who is their boss?Talk to them.

Here's the entire story, if you want to check it out. I would also add, one of the officers was the shift supervisor, and Chief Cox does not reply to emails.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e/320578-does-ltch-=-pc-entering-vehicle.html

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    FOX 59 story on the Purdue thing never mentionef what was discussed, just the guy hosting it and the the " "Everytown" is the biggest challenger to the NRA" :rolleyes:

The "Loaded Wepon" story tomorrow looks intresting and so far, pretty fair.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    This! And no mention of any dessent (Kirk). No mention of Bloomberg and his support. Just universal background checks to keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them. Fox allowed just the same tired arguements and the fact that there will be protest at the convention in Indy.

Garander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Lafayette/Huntington
    Ok time for the follow up report, the crowd size was about 30-40 people and seemed to be split evenly among anti-gun and pro-gun. The panel of course leaned to the anti side but was surprisingly not completely anti-gun. The main thing that Bloomberg's new group Everytown For Gun Safety was pushing were Universal background checks and the panel members seemed somewhat knowledgeable.

The Chief of Police of Purdue seemed to be in our corner and after talking to him afterwards I can say that he seems very reasonable and had some common sense, a very rare thing around a college campus. He seemed not against people carrying on campus, as I took it, but 2nd most favorite quote of the night came from him, "I don't want some rich frat kid that doesn't know anything, to bring his daddy's Glock to campus and leave it sit around in a frat house during a weekend party." Thats the best that I could remember it, and I agree with him on that point, the stupidity I see sometimes is unbelievable. He did however seem to like trained people who knew what they were doing carrying on campus, the problem is how to allow those people without letting someone like the frat kid mentioned, or at least that is how I took it.

The person who spoke the most on the panel was Bloombergs boy Mr. Goddard obviously, who put up a poor performance and seemed to not have studied Indiana much, maybe just the wiki page before he walked in, he did have an interesting story and did a good job delivering it, he did have some good points about how kids need to know what to do and should be educated on how to react to a school shooting. Also that alert systems need to be in place to alert students, something Purdue already has and seemed to work well, I got my January shooting alert pretty fast. Thats about all I have to say about Mr. Goddard, I was expecting a tougher fight.

On to our next panelist was the Russian exchange student, don't know her name its not important she was just some extra anti-gun fodder throw on the stage. She made no contribution to the arguments. She was however responsible for my favorite quote when she was talking about gun violence, "We just don't have these problems in Russia." Yes folks that one took the cake and really made my day.

The girl with the red hair, name not important, I had a hard time telling weather in not she was pro-gun or anti-gun. She was definitely pro-background checks, she said she had her friend shot in front of her, but also she grew up in a gun home and knew how to use guns. Not really important don't think she really spoke much after and no real questions were directed to her.

The professor on the panel was anti-gun of course and taught a class on violence, psych professor so obviously liberal. Put out the usual background check stuff, did make and excellent and agreeable point that one reason these things are happening is because so many people are disconnected and don't interact with each other personally but instead use social media. That was a good couch talk, thanks professor.

Well the pro-gun advocates put up the best argument, obviously, and were interrupted by some shouting anti-gun people, nothing new. A pro-gun student did go up and make a joke a had the whole room laughing. A nice break after Kirk had been shouted at and the tense questions. Other than that it wasn't too eventful, talking to the liberals was like banging your head against the wall. Same old same old. Watch the video that should be posted soon as my memory could have left out some things. The Chief talked more about the police side of what they do during a shooting and that sort of thing and the alert system. He expressed more of his personal views afterwards. Some of Kirks questions didn't make a lot of sense to me but then again he did get cut off so im sure it was leading somewhere. They did cut the meeting short, guess they felt they were out of their league. Well thats the best I could do from memory. Any questions feel free to ask. Ignore typos i'm tired, arguing with this Iranian woman after it finished wore me out, she eventually asked "Well if everyone has guns drawn how can you tells whos bad and good, you just shoot and later sort it out right?" I just said yes thats exactly what we do and walked away. That was after banging my head against the wall for 15min trying to get her to see the light I was done trying.

What you should take away from this is that we are right, they are rude, and pizza is better when its free.

Thanks to everyone that showed up a supported us, keep up the good work, and for those who couldn't make it be prepared to fight the next time in your town or community when they return.

Top Bottom