• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    As we know there is an ongoing campaign against pocket carry. Kirk has a never-ending supply of news stories about dropped and/or left behind guns and many ND's. On the other side are several of us that aren't buying it even in the face of the evidence. (pleading guilty here)

Now I am seeing a thread on what pants a guy should get to pocket carry that won't reveal his gun. That thread has several suggestions on cargo pockets, and this gives me the hee-bee gee-bees!. I have stated many times here that I could be hit by a car and my gun can't fly out. I know this not because I was hit by a car but rather because I fell out of the back of a pick-up truck. I rolled several yards, lost a shoe, but my gun was snug in my front pocket.

It dawns on me that had I been in cargo pants, my gun probably would have flown down the street! cargo pockets are big floppy bags with flip-tops. Not only could a gun easily fall out but any six-year-old-girl could simply pick it right out! (shameless, thinly veiled dig at open carry)

I have to wonder what kind of pants are letting all of these guns flop out all over town? The pants pictured in the other thread that shows the butt of the gun hanging out is no better than cargo pockets. Those pockets naturally dump out behind you as you sit down. Maybe it's not that pocket-carry is dangerous so much as nice pants or slacks are dangerous.

Just an observation while reading posts......

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Just saying, common sense goes a long way in NOT doing something asinine.

I've pocket carried for the better part of 6 years and never dropped my pistol.

How? A. holster. B. gun only in that pocket. C. Don't reach into it until I need to shoot someone.

Simple eh?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Just saying, common sense goes a long way in NOT doing something asinine.

I've pocket carried for the better part of 6 years and never dropped my pistol.

How? A. holster. B. gun only in that pocket. C. Don't reach into it until I need to shoot someone.

Simple eh?
    You forgot something PRasko: Well-planned and well-thought out.

'Funny' how things 'work better' when one THINKS first, THEN acts, eh? :thumbsup:

...To be forewarned is forearmed.

Four-armed? :scratch:

4-arms-270x300.jpg

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Carried my Glock-27 in front cargo pants pocket in a Kydex pocket holster all weekend on a Louisville trip, no issues what so ever.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Carried my Glock-27 in front cargo pants pocket in a Kydex pocket holster all weekend on a Louisville trip, no issues what so ever.

Maybe you should start a "Where did you Pocket Carry today" thread. You could be like the OC 'ers and show that people carry that way all the time and there seldom is a problem.

thecoltsman2006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    I pocket carry every day for 3 years. I have never had a problem. I do wear cargo shorts but use the top pocket.20140622_103135(1).jpgDress pants kind of reveal the gun.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I pocket carry with a DeSantis holster. The holster fits perfect in a cargo pocket but the gun banging into my knee with every step makes me nervous.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Because of this thread I pocket carried to Meijer's today. How anyone could choose this as a primary carry method is beyond me. Here bad guy hold on while I try to finagle this piece out of my pocket, please don't shoot, slash, stab, or pin my arm in the meantime. To me packet carry is so limiting and so dependent on having the correct pants it is just not an option. I realize for that some people it may be the only realistic choice, but for someone who can carry any way they want I don't know why you would choose to carry such a small gun in such a compromising position. To each their own though.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Because of this thread I pocket carried to Meijer's today. How anyone could choose this as a primary carry method is beyond me. Here bad guy hold on while I try to finagle this piece out of my pocket, please don't shoot, slash, stab, or pin my arm in the meantime. To me packet carry is so limiting and so dependent on having the correct pants it is just not an option. I realize for that some people it may be the only realistic choice, but for someone who can carry any way they want I don't know why you would choose to carry such a small gun in such a compromising position. To each their own though.

I agree with this thought process completely. I feel the same way about IWB carrying. I think too much time would be lost if I needed my gun in a hurry. This is why I prefer to OWB carry. I don't always OC, I mostly (poorly) CC my gun but always on my waistband. I just like it better this way. That way if I need it there is little resistance to get it.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Yes, carrying in a pocket does slow down your draw, but like with every other way of carrying, if you practice at it, you can draw pretty quickly when you need it.

The surprise factor is generally why I do it.

Someone asks me for my wallet, they're gonna be surprised as all hell when I clear my pocket. :):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Yes I am slow to draw my gun, But on the other hand I don't have to explain myself several times a day. I don't have to endure the contempt of soccer moms. I don't have to be on active alert for 5 year old girls. I don't have to worry that I am prominently displaying a highly sought after object worth several hundred dollars. No need to ambush me and relieve me of a damn nice pistol if you don't know it's there. On days that I choose to pack a raggedy beater-heater or perhaps a mouse-gun, I won't need to be ashamed in front of an OC guy with the latest race-gun who is laughing at me.

There is more to life than being the fastest draw in town. Back when I WAS the fastest draw in town, I would have just given you a Shaolin whipping anyway, instead of shooting you! Remember when everybody was Kung-Fu fighting? It was a little bit frighting........

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just because a particular handgun "fits" (i.e. can be jammed into, or rattles around in) a particular pocket doesn't mean it's a good pocket carry setup. Many do pocket carry in a "less than optimal" fashion.

Pocket carry is all about the handgun, holster, and pants working together. The pocket opening has to be such that you can draw with a firing grip. Too small, and you have a monkey trap that may get you killed. The pocket has to be designed such that your pants don't dump the contents when you sit down. The bottom profile of the pocket should match the profile of your pocket holster so the handgun is in the proper orientation, etc.

I think there's a superficial apparent "simplicity" to pocket carry that lulls people into thinking it's a no-brainer. Ergo, far too many think they can just throw something casually in ANY pair of pants and roll with it. While one can do this, such an approach often results in a setup that's far from optimal.

To be good setup, pocket carry has to be thought through just like any other carry method.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Just because a particular handgun "fits" (i.e. can be jammed into, or rattles around in) a particular pocket doesn't mean it's a good pocket carry setup. Many do pocket carry in a "less than optimal" fashion.

Pocket carry is all about the handgun, holster, and pants working together. The pocket opening has to be such that you can draw with a firing grip. Too small, and you have a monkey trap that may get you killed. The pocket has to be designed such that your pants don't dump the contents when you sit down. The bottom profile of the pocket should match the profile of your pocket holster so the handgun is in the proper orientation, etc.

I think there's a superficial apparent "simplicity" to pocket carry that lulls people into thinking it's a no-brainer. Ergo, far too many think they can just throw something casually in ANY pair of pants and roll with it. While one can do this, such an approach often results in a setup that's far from optimal.

To be good setup, pocket carry has to be thought through just like any other carry method.

You are correct on all points. I make each holster to fit both the gun and the pants to be carried in. I have a whole bag of holsters to choose from depending on what I am wearing or what gun I decide to carry.

A guy might say that not everybody can make their own holsters but that just ain't true. A stitching awl can be had at harbor freight for six bucks with a lifetime supply of string included. Nice leather can be bought real cheap as remnants from several sources or even recycled from boots, couches, car seats, just to name several sources. It's not hard. It adds a whole dimension to your firearm hobby and you can have a different holster for any circumstance or occasion. I have made LOTS of holsters and have less invested than the price of just one commercial leather holster

Please don't even THINK of carrying your gun in your pocket without a holster! You wouldn't consider hanging your gun from your belt like a keychain would you? Use a holster at all times! I won't even put my gun into a drawer without a holster. If it's not in the safe, or in it's foam lined box, it needs to have a holster available!

Even a cheap generic fits-all Uncle Mikes pocket holster is horrible, but it is better than nothing at all!

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    To me, and I am thinking Kirk would agree (weigh in here Kirk anytime) the major problem is pocket carry without a holster.
    Your gun is rolling around in your pocket with change, ink pens, and whatever else with the trigger exposed.
    Even if your pocket is dedicated solely to your gun, most of the discharges are because a finger goes where is doesn't belong while retrieving the gun.
    That is the issue that causes most of the pocket carry misfires and accidental discharges.
    I pocket carry often (usually on Sunday when I have to tuck in my shirt for church) and ALWAYS use a pocket holster.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Pocket carry is just like any other style of carry. You have to do some planning. Putting it down cargo pants at knee level probably isn't a good spot, but it's better then nothing.

Whatever you chose, you must practice, practice, practice on an ongoing basis.
    It's best to keep the same gun, in the same place.

I've pocket carried an LCP with CT for 3 years now. I practice regularly, dry fire at home, and live at the range. I'm fairly confident I can draw just as fast as someone carrying concealed IWB.

My favorite saying goes with any style carry. "Don't buy the gun, take it home and throw it in the drawer and call it good". You will fail when the time comes you may need to use it. It's obvious around here too many still do just that.

deltaecho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I agree with this thought process completely. I feel the same way about IWB carrying. I think too much time would be lost if I needed my gun in a hurry. This is why I prefer to OWB carry. I don't always OC, I mostly (poorly) CC my gun but always on my waistband. I just like it better this way. That way if I need it there is little resistance to get it.

Practicing your (IWB) draw on a regular, frequent basis will solve this. The difference with IWB and PC is that with IWB, your gun will always be in the same place, in the same orientation, at the same distance. They're nearly apples and oranges.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    There are some situations pocket carry can be faster than more traditional methods. If you are caught by surprise or in a wrestling match, yes, it's slower. However, if you are concerned about a situation developing, you can appear casual but actually have your hand on your gun ready to draw.

example: I was at a gas station the other day and some dude was approaching me, saying he wanted to ask me something, shifting from side to side, looking around... it was weird. He made me nervous. It was like he wanted to get close but was trying to decide what to do, and he wasn't specific about what he wanted, just that he wanted to ask me something. I felt like I was being sized up. I had my off-hand on the pump and my strong hand with a full grip on the 642 in my front pocket, and he was non the wiser... I looked like any other schmuck pumping gas. turned out he wanted to try to sell something (was with some organization that had a tent set up at the other side of the station) and I sent him on his way. It's hard to get that hand-on-gun level of readiness to act w/ other carry modes w.o being threatening ....

everything in life has tradeoffs.

-rvb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    There are some situations pocket carry can be faster than more traditional methods. If you are caught by surprise or in a wrestling match, yes, it's slower. However, if you are concerned about a situation developing, you can appear casual but actually have your hand on your gun ready to draw.

example: I was at a gas station the other day and some dude was approaching me, saying he wanted to ask me something, shifting from side to side, looking around... it was weird. He made me nervous. It was like he wanted to get close but was trying to decide what to do, and he wasn't specific about what he wanted, just that he wanted to ask me something. I felt like I was being sized up. I had my off-hand on the pump and my strong hand with a full grip on the 642 in my front pocket, and he was non the wiser... I looked like any other schmuck pumping gas. turned out he wanted to try to sell something (was with some organization that had a tent set up at the other side of the station) and I sent him on his way. It's hard to get that hand-on-gun level of readiness to act w/ other carry modes w.o being threatening ....

everything in life has tradeoffs.

-rvb

My husband has done this several times. I love that he can casually put his hand in his pocket whenever something suspicious or threatening happens. Hasnt been very often, but if he ever needs to draw, his hand is already right on it. Its the only thing in his pocket, same side everyday in a kidex holster. I wish pocket carry was a good option for women, but pocket size is pretty tiny compared to most mens pants. I have more consealable options, but nothing as casual as putting my hand in my pocket

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I often pocket carry a Sig P238 in a holster and to be honest, I think that's about the quickest draw there is. I do carry in cargo pants sometimes, but no matter what type of pants, it's in the top right pocket. I don't carry in pants with small or shallow pockets but find medium sized pockets work well. Pants like kakhis or dockers work well too. With pocket carry, I can walk with my left hand hand in my left pocket, which is comfortable for me, and if anything catches my attention up ahead, I casually switch to right hand in the right pocket. I keep my hand open and simply covering the whole pistol but if something were to come up, I could close my grip on the pistol and draw much quicker than I would be able to draw from concealment.

Where pocket carry can go wrong is when it's done without a holster and tossed into a pocket with other stuff. Also, playing with the thing in your pocket will sure improve your chances of an ND. It's not my favorite way to carry but when I cannot carry OWB or even IWB, it's a viable option for me.

Top Bottom