• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G582

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Greenwood
    About 2 or 3 weeks ago a lot of the downed wood had been cleared but I didn't drive back to see anything else. Still looked like there was plenty of work to do.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    It has been a couple of weeks since my last visit, and I saw no activity what so ever. Most likely the lack of progress is for the same reason that it was not done during the dry conditions last year.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was there 2 weeks ago and as others said, still a lot of work to be done. The story I heard was that the farmer that is doing the clearing/grading, etc. has been busy with his farm work.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks, guys. I am planning a trip out there and just wanted to better plan what to bring.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    If the regular guys are too busy, then common sense would suggest to bring in some one else. With this economy in the toilet, surely there is someone out there who needs the work.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm not sure what's hindering progress, but I've never attended a meeting there. I'm sure information is provided to those who attend the meetings, but I don't know anyone who goes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If the regular guys are too busy, then common sense would suggest to bring in some one else. With this economy in the toilet, surely there is someone out there who needs the work.
    I'm not a member either, but I got the impression that maybe the person that was doing the work was a member and was doing it gratis, or at least at a discounted rate. That may be why they've not found someone else to do it. :dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I haven't been for a while. Is it all heavy equipment work or could a handful of members get anything done by hand in a few afternoon/evenings? They normally do "work days" on the weekends which is bad timing for me.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm not a member either, but I got the impression that maybe the person that was doing the work was a member and was doing it gratis, or at least at a discounted rate. That may be why they've not found someone else to do it. :dunno:

That may be the case and if so, beggars can't be choosers.

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    As a member of the Board of Directors for the Martinsville Sportsmans Conservation club...I wanted to give an update on our 300 Meter Range project which resumes speed weekend of Aug. 17th, 2013. The following was just posted on our website.
    =========================================================================

300 Meter Range work Aug. 17, 2013

After an initial rough grading done in March of this year, our range contractor will again be moving heavy equipment into the area to finish the range grading/drainage work beginning the weekend of Aug. 17th, 2013. Contractor is the same person who did all our current range and road improvements in 2005-2006 and we've been very pleased with his work.

STAY OUT OF THE RANGE AREA UNTIL IT IS OFFICIALLY OPENED

- OPENING WILL HAPPEN ONLY AFTER ALL WORK IS COMPLETED. ANYONE REPORTED AS "TESTING" THE RANGE BEFORE IT IS OFFICIALLY OPENED WILL LOSE THEIR MEMBERSHIP. WE WILL POST AN OFFICIAL OPENING ON THIS WEBSITE AND AT THE CLUB ITSELF.

• A 25 foot tall earthen berm/impact area will be built beginning at the 300 meter mark.
    • An elevated, covered shooting house will have 6-8 stations/benches.
    • Additional parking will be built as an extension of the existing parking area by the rear two pistol ranges.
    • A driveable access road with turnaround at the berm will be built to the right side of the range, allowing shooters to drive to the 300 meter mark for target placement/retrieval.
    • Entire range will be encircled with fencing and posted with "RIFLE RANGE...STAY OUT" notices to keep unsuspecting hikers or hunters in the adjacent woods from unknowingly wandering onto the range.
    • Range will be planted with suitable ground cover.
    • An obvious range "HOT" vs. "SAFE" system at the shooting house will be put into place to guard against live fire while others are down range.

===============================================================================================

We know it has been a long time coming, but it should be coming on fast now.

cheers,
    Roger

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    IndianaRog, thanks for the update. It sounds like the leadership is providing us another outstanding shooting option.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It will be interesting to see how the numbers increase. The last time I was there, I had to keep a guy from sneaking in behind me, but I saw him later. I suspect there will be more members, guests and trespassers going out there.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Here is an Aug 24, 2013 update for the Martinsville Sportsman's Club 300 M range construction project. A couple of photos taken today are posted on our club website. Click the link below and scroll down a bit:

http://www.sportsmansconservationclub.org/

A solid week of work has transformed the place!

Roger

Looking great Roger! Thanks.
    Any forecast on the completion timing?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Roger, can you please explain how target posting and retrieval will work?

"A driveable access road with turnaround at the berm will be built to the right side of the range, allowing shooters to drive to the 300 meter mark for target placement/retrieval."

I assume the range will be cold or hot for extended timeframes, but if you could provide the lowdown I would appreciate it.

Top Bottom