• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Roger, can you please explain how target posting and retrieval will work?

"A driveable access road with turnaround at the berm will be built to the right side of the range, allowing shooters to drive to the 300 meter mark for target placement/retrieval."

I assume the range will be cold or hot for extended timeframes, but if you could provide the lowdown I would appreciate it.

Que, we are working through the logistics of how the range will handle "hot" vs. "safe" and consulting with the NRA on best practices. In simplest terms we envision an extended "hot" cycle followed by a "safe" cycle where folks can drive down to the 300 M berm for target placement or retrieval. Some sort of hot vs. safe unmistakeable sign will have to be posted by the shooting shelter to alert a new shooter approaching the firing line that there are others down range. Again, we don't have this nailed down yet, but will and must before opening day on that range.

Today the board met at the new range with the main contractor and a fencing contractor to get agreement on where posts and fencing will be placed to avoid hunters or anyone else in the woods from unknowingly wandering onto the range. Safety is paramount in this entire project and hence the statement "It will be done when it's done". We are not trying to be smart asses, rather we want to do this right and working hard to that end. It will be a grand range when it's done, we were very impressed with the work to date and feel our membership will have a 300 M range to be proud of when we are done.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Que, we are working through the logistics of how the range will handle "hot" vs. "safe" and consulting with the NRA on best practices. In simplest terms we envision an extended "hot" cycle followed by a "safe" cycle where folks can drive down to the 300 M berm for target placement or retrieval. Some sort of hot vs. safe unmistakeable sign will have to be posted by the shooting shelter to alert a new shooter approaching the firing line that there are others down range. Again, we don't have this nailed down yet, but will and must before opening day on that range.

Today the board met at the new range with the main contractor and a fencing contractor to get agreement on where posts and fencing will be placed to avoid hunters or anyone else in the woods from unknowingly wandering onto the range. Safety is paramount in this entire project and hence the statement "It will be done when it's done". We are not trying to be smart asses, rather we want to do this right and working hard to that end. It will be a grand range when it's done, we were very impressed with the work to date and feel our membership will have a 300 M range to be proud of when we are done.
    I recently had the opportunity to go up to Hillside Shooting Sports up near Ft. Wayne. They're basically an unsupervised range similar to Martinsville, and they had a flag system on their rifle range. Red flag up, range hot, yellow flag up, range cold. With no range officers, it was up to the shooters to communicate with each other as to when they wanted to change or check targets. It wasn't very busy when we were there, but it seemed to work pretty well.

I really like Martinsville and hope to be able to join this year (I've been a few times as a guest). Already planning to camp out New Year's Eve... :)

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Burl,

Not to sound like a smart ass (and I am sure a few here will take it as such) but it will be open when it is done. And by that I am saying when we have shooting stations built, signs posted, safety protocols in place etc. We all know what could happen with one accident so want to be sure we have done everything a prudent person can do to make this a safe range. Believe me the Board wants this range open as much as anyone but not at the risk of some one's life.

Hope to see you on a range somewhere soon. Take care my friend.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Burl,

Not to sound like a smart ass (and I am sure a few here will take it as such) but it will be open when it is done. And by that I am saying when we have shooting stations built, signs posted, safety protocols in place etc. We all know what could happen with one accident so want to be sure we have done everything a prudent person can do to make this a safe range. Believe me the Board wants this range open as much as anyone but not at the risk of some one's life.

Hope to see you on a range somewhere soon. Take care my friend.

Thanks Doug. I was just looking for a half kinda ballpark guestimate of what we are hoping for. Sounds like we are looking at next year sometime, eh?

Top Bottom