• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have been considering Krav Maga for a while and from what I have read and seen, it depends wholly on the instructor as does the quality of instruction.

That's true . . . and true for just about all other similar endeavors as well!

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just to follow up- I was at the Indy 1500 working on Friday night and saw 3 guys walking through wearing Krav Maga gear. I stopped them and asked where they train and they told me that they train at Krav Maga Indianapolis. The owners name is Jeff and they train up on 96th Street. I got their card and told them I may be in contact. You can also visit thier website:
    KRAV MAGA INDIANAPOLIS

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    How effective is Krav Maga for old farts like me ?

Maybe there is another type that would benefit the older, not in perfect shape/unable to go hand to hand for long periods of time against younger, more than likely , stronger opponents ?

Inquiring mimes need to know....I am Out, not dead yet, as far as I know ...:cool:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Just had this conversation with a guy at a gun show this weekend. He said he tried Krav and was pretty into it but hurt his hand trying to keep up with the young guys during "conditioning".

I take the same belief as most of the schools I have attended. Work on cardio and muscles on your own time, we are here to teach you skill sets you cannot learn in the gym. The last thing I want in a training is a "good workout" achieved by not ending the confrontation as fast as possible. The bad guys stay the same age and we get older. If a strapping young man walks up to me and an altercation ensues I will point and say "look, a baby wolf" and I bash his head in with a rock, not start thinking about which technique I should try. - George

Something I just wrote on this -
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/modern_combative_systems/

Last edited:

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Nobody has mentioned this: There is no superior martial art, only superior martial artists. Find a school that teaches an all aspects approach. Krav Maga is good but there are other options like a karate/judo or karate jiu jitsu combination. Any instructor worth his salt will be able to apply techniques or tactics for use with and against firearms/knives. Educate yourslef and do the hard work of finding a quality instructor. Perfect practice makes perfect!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Nobody has mentioned this: There is no superior martial art, only superior martial artists. Find a school that teaches an all aspects approach. Krav Maga is good but there are other options like a karate/judo or karate jiu jitsu combination. Any instructor worth his salt will be able to apply techniques or tactics for use with and against firearms/knives. Educate yourslef and do the hard work of finding a quality instructor. Perfect practice makes perfect!

:+1:

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    You could do it. But keep in mind if you don't use it you lose it. You may still know what to do. But muscle memory is important, your body needs to react on it's own. This is done by lots of reps. I'd suggest bringing a partner to learn with you. Someone you can drill with. It's an impressive defense form. But a LAST resort!

How effective is Krav Maga for old farts like me ?

Maybe there is another type that would benefit the older, not in perfect shape/unable to go hand to hand for long periods of time against younger, more than likely , stronger opponents ?

Inquiring mimes need to know....I am Out, not dead yet, as far as I know ...:cool:

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'll throw my :twocents: in here. First of all I am in no way an expert in any one martial art. I trained for a few years back in Chicago at a gym called Degerberg Academy of Martial Arts. They did what they called their blend system. We trained Karate, Kung Fu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Kick Boxing, Muay Thai, Kali, Escrima, as well as more obscure stuff like Capoeira, Jun Fan, Savate, Silat.

Like someone said before, there is no one superior martial art, just superior martial artists. The head instructor knew this after training in martial arts all of his life, so when he opened up his school in the 80's he decided to try to take the best parts of everything he knew, and blend it into his training program.

Certain self defense situations would best be suited by a person trained in BJJ, another situation might be handled better by a person trained in Muay Thai. Most people can't train in all of these martial arts unless they are very lucky to have a big gym that offers all of these styles. For the average Joe, just find a style that you might like and go try it out. It is far better to be proficient in one style of martial arts than in no style at all.

Just find something you like doing and keep practicing. Find a friend to go with you to the gym, train together in your spare time. whatever you do, just stick with it and practice.

While I think that one day self defense seminars may have their purpose, in a real situation where it's fight or flight, you will most likely forget everything you tried to learn in that one 8 hour seminar from 3 summers back.

There is no substitute to repetitive training, and as someone else already said, even repetitive training is no substitute to sparing someone who knocks you around when you're making mistakes.

Enough from me. Just go find something that you think will work for you and go try it out.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What type of martial arts would you recommend for training in hand to hand/close quarters self defense? More specifically, does anyone have any experience with any Indy area martial arts studios that have an emphasis on hand to hand combat? Thanks!

Depends do you view yourself as the weapon or are the weapons in your hands?!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It is far better to be proficient in one style of martial arts than in no style at all.

i agree with most everything you said except this line. i think its better to be versed in diffrent styles than proficient in one. say you are great at mauy thai, and somone tackles you from behind. all your training is out the window.

if you are versed in everything and specialize in mauy thai then you will atleast have been there before.

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i agree with most everything you said except this line. i think its better to be versed in diffrent styles than proficient in one. say you are great at mauy thai, and somone tackles you from behind. all your training is out the window.

if you are versed in everything and specialize in mauy thai then you will atleast have been there before.

I agree with you, maybe I wasn't too terribly clear. In my own opinion, I think it is best to train in many different martial arts so you are well rounded. That's why I found a gym that did a blend of a dozen different styles. If you are lucky enough to find a trainer who covers many different styles, I would go train with that person. However, most towns and cities don't have these types of big gyms, so if you have to choose just one, I don't personally think it's going to matter which style you choose to train in, one style will not prepare you for everything. Just choose a style you will enjoy, and stick with it and train.

Brian@ITC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Richmond, IN
    If you are purely interested in unarmed self defense, there will be few schools out there that will fit your needs. While all martial arts to a certain extent apply to self defense situations, only a few schools truly teach street tactics. Most martial arts are closer to martial sports these days. – kettlebell03

I couldn’t agree with that statement more…

A good self defense system will encompass everything that you need to know as far as defending yourself upright, on the ground, with blades, AND with guns. As George (Mercop) stated, there is a huge gap between firearms training and empty hand skills. And, like George, this is exactly why ITC was formed 5 years ago. At ITC we teach that your unarmed skills are more important than your gun skills as your unarmed skills are your first and last resort.

I’ve been training for 24+ years in unarmed and armed combatives and I have come to the conclusion that 80% of what I learned does not apply to a real fight. Most things were taught to me as a learning tool to understand certain things. It was through my personal training time outside of the dojo that I began to learn what works, what doesn’t, and most importantly why it doesn’t work.

What I’m about to say applies to both the firearms and martial arts communities. If you don’t train and find out what works and what doesn’t in a realistic setting, then quite honestly you are a kool-aid drinker. If you are betting your life on any type of training, you owe it to yourself to figure out IF it works and WHY it works and under what conditions. I don’t care who it is teaching something, if it is ITC or anyone else, you must train on it extensively to understand it, be able to do it, and have confidence in it to use it in a real life threatening encounter. Figure out the risks verses reward and is it truly effective and why do you think so? What I’m saying is that you shouldn’t follow people blindly in anything that you are doing especially when it comes down to protecting yourself.

Contrary to popular belief just because you put in a mouthpiece to train doesn’t mean the training is realistic or practical either. Don’t get hung up on the “sparring” side of things. People say that you need to know how to take a blow. Well, quite honestly, if someone is doing their job at hitting you, you shouldn’t be able to take it. With that in mind, if you are hitting them and you aren’t knocking them back at least a couple of feet with your punch and they are able to immediately get back in the fight, I’d say that you aren’t punching hard enough or the system you are training in lacks follow through when striking.

A simple rule that we tell people is that if it looks flashy, it probably isn’t going to work in the real deal.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I agree with you, maybe I wasn't too terribly clear. In my own opinion, I think it is best to train in many different martial arts so you are well rounded. That's why I found a gym that did a blend of a dozen different styles. If you are lucky enough to find a trainer who covers many different styles, I would go train with that person. However, most towns and cities don't have these types of big gyms, so if you have to choose just one, I don't personally think it's going to matter which style you choose to train in, one style will not prepare you for everything. Just choose a style you will enjoy, and stick with it and train.

i see what you are saying. i mis read. i will say that with the popularity of mma there are alot more "blended styles" schools popping up. most will require alot of cardio witch is very improtant in my mind but alot dont want to do it. the school i go to quit doing cardio about 1.5 years ago. it was school for a local fighting team (team hoedown) but we all talked and decided that if you are serious you can do cardio on your own. if not you will lose and wish you had. we save training time for instruction that way

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Ajgo, what does this mean? I co-own a martial arts school in Northern Indiana and am currently ranked in Tae Kwon Do What does ranked mean? You ever meet Grand Master Cho?

Top Bottom