• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    I think, Kali, Silat and JKD concepts in the way to go.. Not taking anything from the others. Remember each style is normally from a different part of the world, but the body is the same every where. So just because one calls it this and you call it that, doesnt mean you both can't get the job done. learn all you can and hopfully the day you need it , it will be there.

pingme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Check out Bruce Lee's JKD, Jeet Kune Do. It's comprised of Jujitsu, Muay Thai Boxing, weapons, etc ...plus the Contemporary JKD is todays street fighting, it has all the categories from ground to standup.

www.fighting.net

hope this helps!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I agree with Ahgo. I studied Tae Kwon Do for two years. Tae Kwon Do is what they refer to as a kicking art. Add in boxing, joint locks, etc. and you have a good base for hand to hand. Of course it lacks grappling. Every martial art has its strengths and weaknesses. That's why Bruce Lee took techniques from different arts and formed his own.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Boxing/Muay Thai/derivative for striking. Wrestling/sambo/judo for clinch range. BJJ for ground. Simple. Get some fundamentals, and train them until they are completely second nature. You'll be miles ahead of most people out there. Don't make the mistake of thinking everything is a gun problem. Also, don't listen to people who tell you that you can't train these things without getting hurt. You can get a cup, mouthpiece, and work on some of these things against an opposing person without getting hurt. We do it in South Bend every week. There are no secret moves that are special. There are no punches that are special and will kill you if done with full force. That bull**** requires you to stand there and allow it to happen.

Think of sports/martial arts that are designed to work against someone who is going full force against you trying to do the same thing to you that you are trying to do to them. Judo, wrestling, boxing, BJJ, etc and pick a couple off the list. As soon as you hear "we can't practice this technique on people because it's too dangerous...run, don't walk away."

If we pick a very simple case of finding an effective punch...

Example of more secretive, less used "more effective" punch - At ~4:00 he says that they can't train it because the partner would get hurt.

Or

Example of traditional boxer teaching traditional punch

You be the judge. I'm a little bigger than the partner in the first video, but even Mercop doing a 60% panic push couldn't push me back a full 10 feet unless I was sleeping (and for those who don't know, he's a huge guy!). Why not learn something that people have been doing with good results for hundreds or thousands of years. Science is behind it, real results are behind it, it's tested against real opponents every day around the world, and you can actually train it to a reasonable amount of effort (~60%?) to prove to yourself that you could really do it.

Apply this to other techniques and you see where I'm going.

In fact, I'm off to our local training group tonight. We're doing standing clinch work (a la shivworks/fundamental wrestling), and maybe some basic takedowns tonight (a la wrestling) off of mock assaults. Fun Fun!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom