• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I look forward to it. I created MCS because I saw both a huge disconnect between the reality of a confrontation and a lack of continuity between open hand and weapon skills. - George

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I look forward to it. I created MCS because I saw both a huge disconnect between the reality of a confrontation and a lack of continuity between open hand and weapon skills. - George

I was just browsing your website. Pretty cool. I may have to purchase some gear. I like the shirt MCS CQCG "You Can't Tap Out On The Street" T-Shirts For those that haven't been to the website- check it out.

kettlebell03

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/55579-martial_arts_anyone.html

Posted above is a link to a previous thread regarding martial arts training. I thought it was a pretty good thread. Many people posted preferences for various arts, and it is a good collection of opinions about the subject.

I think that if a person is considering taking up a study of martial arts, they really need to define what their objective is first. Define the mission first, and it will be easier to decide what will fit your needs best. Self defense training is much different than training to compete in some kind of ring or cage.

If you are purely interested in unarmed self defense, there will be few schools out there that will fit your needs. While all martial arts to a certain extent apply to self defense situations, only a few schools truly teach street tactics. Most martial arts are closer to martial sports these days.

I am leaning more and more towards the small group once a week church basement/firehouse/wherever training versus enrolling in a formal school. Mercop already hit on the benefit of this: you can train with a group of like minded people working to achieve the same objective. Plus, formal schools are expensive, the training is time consuming, and most "schools" drag out their curriculumn to keep you enrolled. Good luck in your training.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Watch some classes, talk the head instructor. Too many people talk about teaching self-defense and have never been knocked on their a$$. - George

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/55579-martial_arts_anyone.html

Posted above is a link to a previous thread regarding martial arts training. I thought it was a pretty good thread. Many people posted preferences for various arts, and it is a good collection of opinions about the subject.

I think that if a person is considering taking up a study of martial arts, they really need to define what their objective is first. Define the mission first, and it will be easier to decide what will fit your needs best. Self defense training is much different than training to compete in some kind of ring or cage.

If you are purely interested in unarmed self defense, there will be few schools out there that will fit your needs. While all martial arts to a certain extent apply to self defense situations, only a few schools truly teach street tactics. Most martial arts are closer to martial sports these days.

I am leaning more and more towards the small group once a week church basement/firehouse/wherever training versus enrolling in a formal school. Mercop already hit on the benefit of this: you can train with a group of like minded people working to achieve the same objective. Plus, formal schools are expensive, the training is time consuming, and most "schools" drag out their curriculumn to keep you enrolled. Good luck in your training.

Thanks for the thread link. I agree, it does seem like most places are geared toward sport rather than teaching for practical purposes. I have no intention on competing so I am looking for training that teaches realistic scenarios. I guess it is the same as shooting. We often times train by shooting a stationary paper target. Not very realistic.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the thread link. I agree, it does seem like most places are geared toward sport rather than teaching for practical purposes. I have no intention on competing so I am looking for training that teaches realistic scenarios. I guess it is the same as shooting. We often times train by shooting a stationary paper target. Not very realistic.

Which is why Krav Maga is, I think, becoming more popular.

Not that it's any one particular "style", but it's a "I need to do what I need to do in order to remove myself from this situation in one piece...who cares what shape the BG is in" type of deal.

At least that's my understanding.

I also need to look into some of mercop's classes. I'm a big fat guy and can't see myself physically running away from something, but at the same time, using a firearm might literally be "overkill".

Blending a form of martial art self defense and firearm self defense seems like something I should do.

-J-

PrairieCreek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    You might consider Tactical Defense Insitute in Ohio. They offer several weekend courses in physical self defense to go along with their firearms courses.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Something that combines hand to hand, with ground fighting. You never know what may happen. However I have a Black Belt in Taekwondo, and feel confident in my skills. If you find a school, talk to some instructors and students. Watch a couple of classes. This may sound chessy, but some schools only teach you how to fight. Without teaching respect, honor, and self restraint. From my experince they go hand and hand.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    What ever you train in. If the instructor can't kick your butt in what you're learning from him leave.
    You don't need full contact sparring to learn to defend yourself. Gracie Jiu Jitsu offers a great class for self defense in it's combatitives. There is a once a week light punches thrown by the instructor so that you can see that what you are learning works. But nothing that will hurt you.

I've boxed, kick boxed, and been on the mats in the biggest grappling comps in the country. Learn a little of everything, take what works for you and throw the rest out. BJJ can save you from a very powerful man, but having long range weapons helps.
    I have thousands of hours of sparring under my belt. I have been offered many fights in bar fight situations, I laugh and walk away. I can be beat, and have been. But you grow to realize that it's not worth it to wreak a poor weak drunk guy in a bar to build a name

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What ever you train in. If the instructor can't kick your butt in what you're learning from him leave.

So . . . what about fighters who have some of the best trainers and coaches in the world, but those same people aren't good fighters themselves? Should their fighters leave them?

Should Ali in his prime have left Angelo Dundee?

I'm just askin'.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So . . . what about fighters who have some of the best trainers and coaches in the world, but those same people aren't good fighters themselves? Should their fighters leave them?

I'm just askin'.

i think once you are in the top 20 or so in the world that no longer applies

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I am a physical education major. I recently was hired on as a karate instructor at a newer company. We only teach children, but my boss is looking into class for us to take. I have never had any martial arts training, but she is a 3rd degree blackbelt. So if anyone has kids and wants them to learn martial arts from a fellow INGOer let me know. And as far as the a great place to learn, I will probably pm you with the classes she signs us up for.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Does Krav cover the use of a firearm?- George

I have no idea.

I'd imagine that REAL Krav Maga might very well do so. It is, after all, an Israeli art that's taught to their armed forces.

Their military folks are, most often, armed.

But I think that something that'd combine Krav Maga AND the retention/use of firearms would be the bee's knees.

-J-

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I have a very good friend that has joint citizenship in the US and Israel. Let me just say that is in procurement field and works with some interesting agencies in Israel. I asked him about Krav Maga, he said "you mean the **** we export to the states". His words and not mine. He said that the Krav they do there bears little resemblance to what we see here in the US. His words not mine.

What I have seen of Krav has led me to believe that it is crush and kill and lacks a measured response. That and the fact that as far as I know they do not teach use of firearms in conjunction with the open hand skills means it has the same lack of continuity for shooters as most other systems.- George

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    10-4 on that, George. Thank you.

I'd almost be willing to bet that a lot of "Karate" dojos here in the States bear little resemblance to the art that's practiced/taught in that art's homeland, too.

As far as "crush and kill" and lacking a measured response... Sometimes that's needed. Sometimes. It's marketed as more of a fight for your life system anyhow...

In all honesty, though, I really don't know what I'm talking about. It shows, doesn't it? HAH! :D

I have a very good friend that has joint citizenship in the US and Israel. Let me just say that is in procurement field and works with some interesting agencies in Israel. I asked him about Krav Maga, he said "you mean the **** we export to the states". His words and not mine. He said that the Krav they do there bears little resemblance to what we see here in the US. His words not mine.

What I have seen of Krav has led me to believe that it is crush and kill and lacks a measured response. That and the fact that as far as I know they do not teach use of firearms in conjunction with the open hand skills means it has the same lack of continuity for shooters as most other systems.- George

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Does Krav cover the use of a firearm?- George

I have been considering Krav Maga for a while and from what I have read and seen, it depends wholly on the instructor as does the quality of instruction.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    The best fighters in the world have many coaches. MMA fighters will get tapped by the grappling instructors, the snot kicked out of them by the striking coaches, out wrestled by wrestling coaches. I just feel that in order to teach you must be the best at what you're teaching. Or atleast better than the student being taught.

Now if you're looking at it from a boxing stand point. Dundee didn't teach ALi how to box. While learning how to box I assure you that his boxing coaches could out box him. When you get into these top rated trainers, dundee, roach, buddy migirt, or mma's Phil Jaskson, these guys are good at pointing out where a fighter's holes are. Good at fight strategy. Conditioning.

It's just my way of thinking, if I am going to train in a certain fight style I would like to be shown up in that style by the instructor.

I'm just askin'.

Top Bottom