• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    dying industrial strength

strangled to death by taxes, excessive regulations, unions, frivolous litigation, cheap foreign guns. Sad.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I cannot understand how firearm manufacturers can remain in criminal friendly states. Look how many are around Chicago, and how many are in Connecticut and other New England states.

Dear Marlin, Give Mitch Daniels a call. I am sure firearm loving Indiana would be more than happy to pay your way here!

jnicol6600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Yea this is bad. Thier rifles were hard enough to find the way it is. I guess the money I was saving for a 1895stbl will have to find somewhere else to go.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Marlin is RELOCATING but NOT closing

Marlin is RELOCATING but is NOT closing! :patriot:

Marlin Being Relocated
    The Outdoor Wire

After 140 years, the Marlin plant located in North Haven, Connecticut will be closed by the middle of next year. According to Remington Arms sources, the facility is being decommissioned and the manufacturing relocated to Remington's Ilion, New York facilities, the Marlin lines are not moving offshore.

For the North Haven community, it's an economic hit, impacting not just the 265 Marlin plant workers, but the cottage industries that have sprung up over time to service the Marlin workforce. When Marlin was acquired by Remington in 2008, there were 345 employees in North Haven and another 225 workers at the Marlin facility in Gardner, Massachusetts. Today, only 265 remain, and they've been notified they're not going to be working beyond mid-2011.

For the industry, the news is yet another sign that business as usual is coming to an end. As corporations acquire smaller brands, corporate efficiencies, and economies of scale trump history and community standing. After all, if the brands didn't fit inside a corporate portfolio and meet criteria that include efficiencies, the buy wouldn't make much sense to begin with.

When larger companies acquire smaller ones, consolidation is inevitable.

The process is no different nor more surprising from Remington concerning its family of companies than Smith & Wesson integrating the Thompson/Center operations into its Springfield, Massachusetts headquarters. Stock analysts I've spoken with have made it abundantly clear they'd like S&W stock better if T/C's facilities went away altogether. Fortunately, the analysts don't run companies, they observe them.

If smaller companies were operating efficiently and/or profitably, they would most likely not be candidates for takeover. It is their inherent inefficiencies which make them candidates for acquisition, despite any historical standing. Ultimately, companies exist to make money for owners, whether they be private or public. If a new owner thinks they can change profit-and-loss statements with consolidation, consolidation is inevitable.

For the company founded by John M. Marlin in 1870, it's a change in the kind of ownership lineage that has remained tied to New Haven and Connecticut communities. After acquiring Marlin from its original owner, the Kenna family owned and operated the company for nearly eighty-five years. Remington is the first corporate owner.

At this writing, it seems Marlin, Harrington and Richardson, New England Firearms and L.C. Smith- all Marlin brands -are destined for absorption into Remington's existing manufacturing facilities in Ilion, New York. Such a move would maximize use of that facilities and consolidate manufacturing operations. Consolidation is another efficiency necessary to compete with imported products.

Although it's purely speculation on my part, a consolidation move makes perfect sense if you're demonstrating lean operating abilities as part of some sort of market capitalization move. Bankers and investors are quite fond of consolidated operations, especially if the company happens to represent numerous iconic brands.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Long term shouldn't hurt you but short term I have to think you're right & there will be shortages. I hope there aren't QC problems when they start to come out of the new facility.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    If you all like your damn Marlins so much, it might befit you to remember that they WERE made by skilled union craftsmen. Who said having a skilled and organized workforce made them uncompetitive? How in the name of Hades did unions get dragged into this mess, anyway? Remington decides to consolidate ops, ok. But why do you have to go picking on the poor working man who MAKES this quality product?

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    If you all like your damn Marlins so much, it might befit you to remember that they WERE made by skilled union craftsmen. Who said having a skilled and organized workforce made them uncompetitive? How in the name of Hades did unions get dragged into this mess, anyway? Remington decides to consolidate ops, ok. But why do you have to go picking on the poor working man who MAKES this quality product?

+1

Top Bottom