• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    I finally found one and I can't wait to shoot this thing! I will get some pics up later.:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:
    picture.php

Last edited:

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I was shooting an 1895 Guide Gun 45.70 at a friend's house. He set up some nice size rocks and told me to have a go at them. Oh my goodness I couldn't believe how that bullet just turned those boulders to powder. Fun stuff.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I bought an H&R Trapdoor Officer's Model when I was 19 years old. I weighed about 140lbs in those days and shooting it was QUITE an experience.

Now that I'm a lot older and tip the scales at about 210 it's astonishing how much lighter the recoil has gotten on that rifle.

:D

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    ha ha ha ha ha would imagine that after shooting 45/70 early on most everything else is alot more manageable,,

In my teen years a friend purchased a 8mm Mauser carbine and 5 Bandalers of ammo, .. We looked at all that ammo as a personnel challenge to get rid of it all.. No hearing protection, no safety glasses just a gun, lots of ammo and a muddy creek bank to shoot at.. Needless to say the shoulder and ears hurt for some time afterwards.. And after that no matter what I shoot it never hurt as much..

Do you still have that H&R.. ???? My friend sold his 8mm a few years later and I so wish I had purchased it for the memory value alone..

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    ha ha ha ha ha would imagine that after shooting 45/70 early on most everything else is alot more manageable,,

In my teen years a friend purchased a 8mm Mauser carbine and 5 Bandalers of ammo, .. We looked at all that ammo as a personnel challenge to get rid of it all.. No hearing protection, no safety glasses just a gun, lots of ammo and a muddy creek bank to shoot at.. Needless to say the shoulder and ears hurt for some time afterwards.. And after that no matter what I shoot it never hurt as much..

Do you still have that H&R.. ???? My friend sold his 8mm a few years later and I so wish I had purchased it for the memory value alone..

Sure do...it's my Cowboy Action long range buffalo gun.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a Marlin 1985LTD-III 45/70 Gov't with Octagon Barrel and Marbles Peep Sites. Mine is #25 of (I don't know).

This is a very sweet shooting rifle and is a keeper that will go to my youngest Nephew when I have past to the next life. Just don't tell him. I do not want to go for another 25 years or so.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a Marlin 1985LTD-III 45/70 Gov't with Octagon Barrel and Marbles Peep Sites. Mine is #25 of (I don't know).

Davidsons made that LTD_III it is the straight grip 18.5 inch version correct. Swwet i like the little barrels.

As far as the numbers go I believe there were 1001 of them made each year. Yours was born in 1991 according to my Blue book but I have it as 1999. Since the limited I and II were made in 1997 and 1998 I think I am correct.

I do remember all the stainless 1895's were 501 produced. Normally for a company to get a special order made it takes at least 500 guns.

I have a limited 1894SS one of the 351 produced.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a contender pistol in 45-70...talk about feeling like a man!

That comes when stuff a 405gr hardcast over 45gr of H4198.

That's one of the first things I shot in my 1895 when I got it, ordered the components and dies before I even had the rifle.

It'll certainly wake you up in a lighter gun, but it seems a bit less painful than some of the warmer 12 gauge slugs.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Had the Marlin 45-70 years ago. Thought it'd be fun. Loaded up some heavy loads but could not hit
    with it (flinching? ) . So of course it needed a scope....three scope scars later I decided it wasn't so much fun and sold it...wish I had it now, now that I'm not so dumb....

Top Bottom