• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    And if the shoe were on the other foot and the dead were Americans..? Would there be such a public outcry by the liberal news media? I think not. They should take a survey and see how many Americans really care that a dead enemy was urinated on.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Now, I'm not the one turning it into a religious debate. I am only answering your posts. Why you feel the need to throw insults at me I have no idea, I suppose I could chalk it up to religious fanaticism.

"Religious fanaticism?" You're the one arguing that supposed mistreatment 1000 years justifies 21st century beheadings.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'd like to know who the a-hole was that released this video.
    I have nothing to say on the actions of the Marines except, God Bless them boys.
    War is hell.
    Its not like the Taliban wouldn't cut a head off a living marine and play soccer with it. I say we ought to **** on all of 'em. After they're dead, B4 they're dead. Doesn't matter. And make sure to run it through a tube full of bacon grease first.
    No sympathy for that particular group of dead in my book.:twocents:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    AND

It's a tenet of religion. Not tenents or tenants.
    tenet [ˈtɛnɪt ˈtiːnɪt]
    na belief, opinion, or dogma[from Latin, literally: he (it) holds, from tenēre to hold]

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
    Noun1.tenet - a religious doctrine that is proclaimed as true without proofdogma
    article of faith, credendum - (Christianity) any of the sections into which a creed or other statement of doctrine is divided

church doctrine, religious doctrine, creed, gospel - the written body of teachings of a religious group that are generally accepted by that group
    Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2011 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
    tenetnoun principle, rule, doctrine, creed, view, teaching, opinion, belief, conviction, canon, thesis, maxim, dogma, precept, article of faith Non-violence is the central tenet of their faith.
    Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I think I am going to start my own Religion....

We will be Drinking and Dancing at the Church of Hank Williams...
    You're gonna start a religeous war. Jack is very average at best and I'll be damned IF I'm gonna dance at your church. Unless I worship overtime at the alter of Jack.
    Heck, I'm liable to **** on everything at that point and ain't killed no "non americans" in decades.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You're gonna start a religeous war. Jack is very average at best and I'll be damned IF I'm gonna dance at your church. Unless I worship overtime at the alter of Jack.
    Heck, I'm liable to **** on everything at that point and ain't killed no "non americans" in decades.
    Sooo...

You don't think it sounds like a good time or you do think it sounds like a good time?! :dunno::popcorn:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Sooo...

You don't think it sounds like a good time or you do think it sounds like a good time?! :dunno::popcorn:
    I hope there's more than just a bunch of Marines worshiping. Everytime me and a bunch of my old Marine buddies get together and drink, start talking religeon, politics, and sports, everyone usually ends up with black eyes, busted lips, ears half bit off, and the occasional broken bone. Danged fools don't fight fair. Just fight to win. "wink"

cookie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Henry co.
    Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.), a former Army lieutenant colonel, sends THE WEEKLY STANDARD an email commenting on the Marines' video, and has given us permission to publish it.

“I have sat back and assessed the incident with the video of our Marines urinating on Taliban corpses. I do not recall any self-righteous indignation when our Delta snipers Shugart and Gordon had their bodies dragged through Mogadishu. Neither do I recall media outrage and condemnation of our Blackwater security contractors being killed, their bodies burned, and hung from a bridge in Fallujah.

“All these over-emotional pundits and armchair quarterbacks need to chill. Does anyone remember the two Soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division who were beheaded and gutted in Iraq?

“The Marines were wrong. Give them a maximum punishment under field grade level Article 15 (non-judicial punishment), place a General Officer level letter of reprimand in their personnel file, and have them in full dress uniform stand before their Battalion, each personally apologize to God, Country, and Corps videotaped and conclude by singing the full US Marine Corps Hymn without a teleprompter.

“As for everyone else, unless you have been shot at by the Taliban, shut your mouth, war is hell.”

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Yes I agree it is just a convenient excuse but I believe religion is the primary justification being used because it is so effective in getting people riled up... 2nd only to nationalism

Don't forget sports!

People have killed for their favorite sporting team before. I guess that's probably a form of Nationalism.

Actually, both instances can be better described by the term "tribalism". "Nationalism" only become a dirty word when actions engendered under its auspices bring shame to the ideals espoused by the national morality. "Tribalism" is much more closely held - a much small group. Wars and atrocities committed in the name of religion are always started/committed by a small group of individuals; it was certainly true of the religious persecutions of various "Christians" throughout the centuries. I won't go into specifics because of the INGO prohibition.

When you get down to it, reprisals against an enemy for the death of one's own comrades are a different sort of "tribalism" on an even smaller scale, putting the emotional response of "punishing" the bad guys ahead of the morals and responsibilities of the whole organization.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    "Religious fanaticism?" You're the one arguing that supposed mistreatment 1000 years justifies 21st century beheadings.

I do not recall saying this was my stance. Please point it out where I said "mistreatment of 1000 years justifies 21st century beheading." In fact I don't THINK there has been 1000 years of "mistreatment" that hasn't gone both ways. It's got to stop sometime and we don't need to be "egging" it on with our involvement. OPTION 1 of what I listed earlier is, IMO, how things should have been treated from the very first opportunity we had to get involved however many years ago (we shouldn't have).

Edit: Though I can understand the anger involved if one is taught about all the "wrongs" done to "them" over many generations, IMO a person is only "justified" to avenge the wrongs done to him in his lifetime (I use the masculine "him" generically). To do anything more results in long running "blood feuds" that go on for so long that no one really know what the heck actually started it to begin with.

Last edited:

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    It's a tenet of religion. Not tenents or tenants.
    tenet [ˈtɛnɪt ˈtiːnɪt]
    na belief, opinion, or dogma[from Latin, literally: he (it) holds, from tenēre to hold]

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
    Noun1.tenet - a religious doctrine that is proclaimed as true without proofdogma
    article of faith, credendum - (Christianity) any of the sections into which a creed or other statement of doctrine is divided

church doctrine, religious doctrine, creed, gospel - the written body of teachings of a religious group that are generally accepted by that group
    Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2011 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
    tenetnoun principle, rule, doctrine, creed, view, teaching, opinion, belief, conviction, canon, thesis, maxim, dogma, precept, article of faith Non-violence is the central tenet of their faith.
    Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002

I apologize for my original misspelling. In my defense semperfi did it first with his spelling of "tenents" and based on some of the arguments here since he did it first I can do whatever I want.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Actually, both instances can be better described by the term "tribalism". "Nationalism" only become a dirty word when actions engendered under its auspices bring shame to the ideals espoused by the national morality. "Tribalism" is much more closely held - a much small group. Wars and atrocities committed in the name of religion are always started/committed by a small group of individuals; it was certainly true of the religious persecutions of various "Christians" throughout the centuries. I won't go into specifics because of the INGO prohibition.

When you get down to it, reprisals against an enemy for the death of one's own comrades are a different sort of "tribalism" on an even smaller scale, putting the emotional response of "punishing" the bad guys ahead of the morals and responsibilities of the whole organization.

I think I see what you are saying and I think I agree with it lol.

Top Bottom