Many of us have famous ancestors Who are yours?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    My grandfather was a Buchanan. Edgar "Uncle Joe" Buchanan was a distant cousin of his. Also President James Buchanan was related somehow. And there's a really cool castle on Loch Lomond that bears the Buchanan name. It eas built by Anselan O'Kyan, founder of the Buchanan clan. He was the son of one of the kings of Ulster. It's alleged that McBeth was based on him.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    William Clark - "Along with Meriwether Lewis, Clark led the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1803 to 1806 across the Louisiana Purchase to the Pacific Ocean, and claimed the Pacific Northwest for the United States."

Jimmy Doolittle - "He earned the Medal of Honor for his valor and leadership as commander of the Doolittle Raid while a lieutenant colonel."

Edmund Burke - "Since the 20th century, he has generally been viewed as the philosophical founder of modern conservatism,[6][7] as well as a representative of classical liberalism.[8]"

Claude Allegre - "born 31 March 1937, Paris) is a French politician and scientist." Most noted for his views on global warming.

Last edited:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I should probably know the exact details but I don't. Somewhere way down the line is William Wallace, Jesse James, and Shakespeare's secretary/best friend who was buried beside him. I'm also somehow related to Robert Downey, Jr. There may be more but I'm not aware for certain. My grandmother has an entire room full of genealogy records of our family dating back to medieval times. It's ridiculous. I should know way more about my heritage

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Light Horse Harry Lee and Robert E. Lee

Seems my 7 or 8 great grandfather married the granddaughter of Col. Richard Lee in 1707. Col. Richard Lee came to Jamestown in 1639. Light Horse Harry is his ggg grandson and Robert E. Lee is his gggg grandson.

beehunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    My Great Grandmother was a full blooded Cherokee Indiana, that explains my obsession with hunting, fishing and whiskey. lol...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Folgate, Homer E., Jr. HQ, 6th Armored Division, G.O. No. 238 (1945)

Known as Emmett, my uncle who became a well thought of lawyer in Rockford, IL. 200 people came to his funeral.

This is Emmett receiving his Silver Star.

uncle.jpg

How my uncle got the Silver Star.

He was in recon and was sent across the Prum River (I assume as it was the Prum River Campaign) to reconnoiter with 20 men. The Germans discovered they were on the other side of the river and they had to escape across the river with German machine guns strafing the river. My uncle was kind of a Johnny Weissmuller of his time and took his men, one by one, across the river underwater. He survived along with 7 others. He only talked about it one time to his son who told me about it.

Years ago I asked my uncle if he ever talked about his time in Germany. My mother interrupted and said he did not like to talk about it. He said he did like to talk about it and would go on to tell about other things, like how during the Battle of the Bulge they had a jeep without a windshield and they used their clipboards as windshields.

I wish I knew then what I know now so I could have had a more intelligent conversation with him but that time has passed as both my mother and my uncle have moved on.

He was also stationed after the war in a post office in Germany. He sent many firearms home and sold them to pay for college after the war. He kept an MP40 and a Lugar which his son ended up with. I ended up with a Heer Dagger and for some reason no one knows how I ended up with it, including me. I contacted his son about acquiring the MP40 and Lugar but the little bastage sold them. Something I could never have done. My cousin is a money grubbing POS.

BTW, my mother enlisted but never went overseas. She had orders to go and was scared to death because so many transport ships were torpedoed but the orders got cancelled. Mother (on the left) in NY. She was stationed at camp Grant in Illinois.

momjg.jpg

Because of my mother and my uncle is probably the reason I volunteered during the Vietnam conflict. I also never went overseas but ended up 3 stories underground at SAC Headquarters. I still have a strong sense of duty, both to family and country.

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    A bunch of Irish gangsters
    A bunch of Chicago mobsters
    Daniel Boone
    A limestone Barron
    A crazy German with a pointy helmet
    A crazy german author and time management guru

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Himbert Blanke, Knighted in 1271, Preceptor of Auvergne (France), one of the Knights Templar captured in the raid on the Templar fortress (the same one of which he was Preceptor) on Friday, October 13th, 1307.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While not a famous person in history, apparently I share a relative with Greg Garrison. Our family trees intersect at my maternal great grandmother.

My mom was listening to him one day a couple years ago and he mentioned that relative's name during his show. Its a VERY unique name, so mom emailed him to inquire and turns out we are connected. He was gracious and generous enough to send mom a copy of the genealogy report he had done detailing the family history. it was a fascinating read.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm fifth cousin once removed to the Wright Brothers, neither of which married or had any kids, so they have no direct descendants at all.

Top Bottom