• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    So this is the first year that I am taking the plunge and doing meat processing by myself. I want a manual grinder for cost efficiency and I wont be processing more than 1-3 deer a year. So I have narrowed it to a couple of grinders. I know I want all metal and not a plastic auger. Let me know if any of you have any experience or reviews on these

Amazon.com: Kitchener #10 Meat Grinder with Sausage Stuffer: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: LEM Products #10 Stainless Steel Clamp-on Hand Grinder: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Sportsman Manual Meat Grinder with Pulley: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Norpro Heavy-Duty Meat Grinder: Kitchen & Dining

Everyone told me LEM was really good, but reviews also said their parts rusted as well. So with that in mind, why pay extra if the parts are of same quality metal? Thanks in advance

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    We have been using one very similar to your third choice for around 20 years (well my dad has, me only about 10) we have ours hooked up to and old electric motor out of a furnace using a reduction block and two pulleys. It works great for us.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Thats actually the one I was leaning towards. Just for the fact that later down the road I could hook it up If I wanted to. Have you ever tried stuff sausage with a hand crank model before?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We are not as far along as you in processing. I wish I had something more to add but I'm just here to acknowledge and give rep for your efforts.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    not trying to be a negative nancy but one thing you will find out about all the manual meat grinders is that they are a bunch of work, Sinew is not your friend and after a few deer the Cabellas grinder will look much better, but the $400 will still be ugly, I don't know your age but buying one while your young is a great idea, in 10 years you won't remember what it costs

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I am with X10 in this issue. We have used a hand-crank grinder for making Ground Meat, and bulk sausage (not stuffed) for several years. Now that we are in the 'Over 70' group, the hand grinder is just too much work. We got a LEM #12 two years ago and love it. It grinds as fast as we can prep the deer or pork we feed it. It will do several types of grinding...fine to chili-coarse and is as easy to use for stuffing sausage as anything we have seen in use. Cost was $275 with free shipping. and worth it so far.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a collection of hand-grinders. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 of them.

Don't ask.

You'll quickly find they are entirely too much work for a deer-sized animal. Sinew, as stated before, will hamper your progress at every turn.
    Go electric and don't look back.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    We stuff with ours, but we have the motor hooked up with a foot pedal control for stuffing to turn it on and off while you hold the casing with your hands.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    We looked at the smaller grinders (less expensive), but held out for the 1.25 hp version. Definitely stronger and much faster with bigger volume per hour. The real test for us will be this winter. We will bring home a Bison., Butchered and cut/wrapped...but we will have the scraps and 'other meat' all cut into large stew cubes, and then grind it as needed during the year. If we can do a bunch of Burger once a month, the machine will earn it's Varsity Letter in my House.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    not trying to be a negative nancy but one thing you will find out about all the manual meat grinders is that they are a bunch of work, Sinew is not your friend and after a few deer the Cabellas grinder will look much better, but the $400 will still be ugly, I don't know your age but buying one while your young is a great idea, in 10 years you won't remember what it costs

I am with X10 in this issue. We have used a hand-crank grinder for making Ground Meat, and bulk sausage (not stuffed) for several years. Now that we are in the 'Over 70' group, the hand grinder is just too much work. We got a LEM #12 two years ago and love it. It grinds as fast as we can prep the deer or pork we feed it. It will do several types of grinding...fine to chili-coarse and is as easy to use for stuffing sausage as anything we have seen in use. Cost was $275 with free shipping. and worth it so far.

And what are you going to do when the lights go out? :dunno:

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I had also looked at that unit. Do you have any experience with it, or just based off the fact of the steel gears. I would much rather have metal than plastic

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I had also looked at that unit. Do you have any experience with it, or just based off the fact of the steel gears. I would much rather have metal than plastic

Based on steel gears and word of mouth from some hunting forums I am on. Haven't spent the money on one yet but when I do I plan on buying this one. Sorry I can't help anymore than that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I inherited a couple of grinders that are likely 50+ years old. Should I dig these out to examine or just plan on buying a new manual grinder?
    For now, I fall in with the crowd who chooses to do this without depending on power.

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    For those who are thinking of firing up the grinder several times a year, you might think on this, there is about 3/4 lb of scrap meat when you fire up the larger grinders. It can be used but its better if you plan for 1 big grind, Plus there's more cleanup sometimes than 10 minutes of grinding,

----------

And for the guy who is worried about the lights going out. Really!, stop watching bunker shows on discovery channel and live a little

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    And for the guy who is worried about the lights going out. Really!, stop watching bunker shows on discovery channel and live a little

My grandparents did it without electricity, seems like an accomplishment to do it that way too. Convenience doesn't alway equate living. That's how we roll.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Well I do not care if its manual or electric. I am usually a big follower of buy once buy right. However, I can not spend over 200$ right now on a grinder. If a cheaper electric is as good as a hand grinder, I would rather go that way.

Top Bottom