• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Not that I respect the antigun crowd or anything, but the most disgusting thing about the entire event is the reveal of the type of people in the comments section. Many seem to hate gun owners so much they are actually cheering that the man is dead. Of course this is followed by the "NRA caused this" and "you are safer without a gun in the home" mantra. A disgusting cross section of society can be found in the comments section. Sad someone died over a safety violation. Rule 1, never point a gun at something you don't want to destroy.

You just can't review these enough. Education and Training|NRA Gun Safety Rules

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not that I respect the antigun crowd or anything, but the most disgusting thing about the entire event is the reveal of the type of people in the comments section. Many seem to hate gun owners so much they are actually cheering that the man is dead. Of course this is followed by the "NRA caused this" and "you are safer without a gun in the home" mantra. A disgusting cross section of society can be found in the comments section. Sad someone died over a safety violation. Rule 1, never point a gun at something you don't want to destroy.

You just can't review these enough. Education and Training|NRA Gun Safety Rules

The people you refer to have to hate something. Anything. They are sheeple. They are easily led by the nose and fall at the feet of those such as Piers Morgan.....oh, wait, he has been fired. Apparently the majority have ruled and took a stand. The angry mob of gun haters are loud, visceral, unruly and just foul in thought and action.

Again.....there are 4 rules. They will prevent things such as this mans death.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Actually, Officer Felton mis-stated Rule No. 1. It isn't "treat every gun as if it's loaded," but "All guns are ALWAYS loaded."

This is not an insignificant difference.

Really? I'm missing it. What is the difference? Both tell you to be careful about believing the gun is empty and therefore not dangerous.

I'd like to know because I often switch between the two. I prefer the first one because it doesn't jar people. It just makes sense. The second one often causes people to doubt the rule because it is an obvious falsehood and then has to be explained. Maybe that's what you are referring to?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't either, but this source is a little different... I wonder why they spent so much time in the garage. And what do you think they were taking out in bags? :Police: Gun goes off during sale, killing owner | FortWayne.com - Fort Wayne IN
    I don't want to spread rumors, so I'm not going to give out a lot of details or make speculations. But, (1) yes, they do (did) spend a lot of time in the garage. (2) it's a rather large extended family that lives in that home. (3) I don't believe anyone is a member of INGO. (4) I don't know what was being moved around late at night but indeed it appeared as if bags were being removed several hours after the incident.

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    ..I prefer the first one because it doesn't jar people....
    That's exactly why I prefer the second. If you're jarred by the fact that the gun is loaded, don't take the gun. Before handing a gun to a noob, I explain that every gun is always loaded, don't let it point at anything you aren't shooting, and don't put your finger on the trigger until maybe later. Then I show them how to drop the mag and check the chamber. I hand it to them with the slide locked and say, "It's loaded." If they're taken aback, I remind them that every gun is always loaded and that they now know how to check that for themselves. It's a safety enhancer and it tells them that they already know more about guns than they did a minute ago.

When you say "treat every gun as if it's loaded," what people hear is "this gun isn't loaded but, you know, safety first."

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    When you say "treat every gun as if it's loaded," what people hear is "this gun isn't loaded but, you know, safety first."

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree then. I have a hard time holding obvious falsehoods as rules. Although I greatly respect Jeff Cooper's rules, I have no problem with altering that one.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    That's exactly why I prefer the second. If you're jarred by the fact that the gun is loaded, don't take the gun. Before handing a gun to a noob, I explain that every gun is always loaded, don't let it point at anything you aren't shooting, and don't put your finger on the trigger until maybe later. Then I show them how to drop the mag and check the chamber. I hand it to them with the slide locked and say, "It's loaded." If they're taken aback, I remind them that every gun is always loaded and that they now know how to check that for themselves. It's a safety enhancer and it tells them that they already know more about guns than they did a minute ago.

Not every gun is loaded. You just hand someone a gun that is obviously not loaded and tell them it is loaded.????? I never liked the wording of rule one either and have always taught my kids to treat all guns as if they are loaded even if you know they are not.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Actually, Officer Felton mis-stated Rule No. 1. It isn't "treat every gun as if it's loaded," but "All guns are ALWAYS loaded."

This is not an insignificant difference.

This is the silly argument that takes us off our mark. It's semantics that hardly matter. Sadly, it turns otherwise very smart folks into those who cloud the argument for safe gun handling. This, in a thread started reporting a man killed himself because he didn't follow the four rules.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    All guns are always loaded.

Treat all guns as if they were always loaded.

tumblr_inline_mfonledP9F1qi21hi.png

PoTAYto / PoTAHto.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This happened just a mile or so from my house. I still haven't heard who exactly the victim was, whether it was the home owner or someone else. I've been present when a negligent discharge happened, so I know first hand how quickly and unexpectedly these things can happen. It would be nice to know the details of what led to this tragic situation. Pretty unsettling either way.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I see you are new to INGO. Haven't you heard? The Four Rules are outdated. It's OK to point at gun at yourself because the Four Rules are old and busted.

Horrific incident, thought and prayers for the family.

For the rest of us, the Four Rules will save your life and those around you. Let's listen again to the man that painted the signs:

Clint Smith on Gun Safety - YouTube
    Show us Kirk, where anyone here has EVER said that!?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

tumblr_inline_mfonledP9F1qi21hi.png

PoTAYto / PoTAHto.

I've got one of those grate thingies that you run the potato over and it slices them super thin. Put a little butter in the bottom of the pan, add a little salt and pepper, maybe some onion. Put a lid on it on very low and leave it the hell alone for about 20-25 minutes. Flip em over, remove lid, increase heat a bit and in about 10-15 minutes you have AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

PoTAYto / PoTAHto.

Do we really have to go there again? It seems like there's three or four INGO hotbutton topics: "OC/CC", "FTF BoS", "AD/ND", and "Rule #1".

I suppose you also put "carmel" sauce on your ice cream! ;)

Top Bottom