• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    How can anyone be upset that a police officer would put someone in cuffs that had a handgun on them. A LTC or not, a cop is watching out for his safety. I don't think I have ever head of a police officer throwing someone in jail that had a handgun on them AND a LTC on them. They will take your handgun, unload it, and put it in the trunk so you can retrieve it when the original stop is over. What would you do in this situation if you were a cop, adn you made a stop and saw that someone had a handgun on them. Are you just going to let them keep it and just think that they are a good person and wont possibly try and shoot me?!

No police officer is above the law, I truly believe that. But it is there job to withold the law. So no matter what your right is, you have to abide by law plain and simple. And if you think different than go through the police academy and go on the streets and deal with pieces of **** all day and we will see how you handle the situation.

Do you really think I'm just going to open my trunk for the police? I'm not. I'm not giving them a free look in my trunk. They can hand my firearm back to me when we're done. If they get clever and unload the mag, I'll just pop in another mag BEFORE they're even back to their car.

Really if armed citizens stop more crime, then why do we need police officers. (which I am not by the way).

The police DON'T prevent most crimes. They show up after the fact, investigate, and try to arrest the perpetrators. THAT is their job. They serve and protect SOCIETY by arresting those who have COMMITTED CRIMES. Please note the past-tense on that.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    When it comes to taking a firearm during a stop, I actually think that should be left to the officer's discretion, unfortunately some officers may abuse that discretion once in a while.

If an officer sees a person speeding and swerving all over the road, he pulls the car over, the driver smells like alcohol and has a handgun on his seat, I'd call for back up and I'd want to secure that weapon. If a guy simply had a tail light out or something and I noticed he was wearing a shoulder holster, but seemed stable and didn't put out the vibe of being a threat, I'd probably prefer the firearm stay safely in his holster. Transferring loading firearms from person to person isn't a safe or great idea.

Just as officers don't want to let other people hold or handle their duty weapons, most of us feel the same way. We aren't sure if the officer is familiar with our firearm, as we don't expect officers to study every model of firearm for their safety features. Accidental discharges do occur, so letting a firearm sit safely in a holster is sometimes the safest place for all parties involved.

I too, wish we could get back to the good old days, where an officer didn't have to worry about getting shot while he approached every car and citizen. Like I said before, good citizens and law enforcement should be on the same side. As for myself, I've found that not giving LEO a reason to pull me over in the first place has worked pretty well.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So by being removed from your car, and disarmed because you had a handgun on you. You were treated like a felon? So if you were the police officer, you would let a man, you have never met or no nothing about, have a loaded handgun on him and hope he doesn't shoot you on the stop because he is going to be late? You must be pretty naive to think that a LEO is not worried about his safety.

Absolutely. What right does an officer have to pull me out of my car for a speeding violation to disarm me? Simply put, he doesn't. Unless it comes back that I have outstanding warrants, or I voluntarily step out of my car, or unless he suspects alcohol use or some other committed felony, he has to get a warrant for me to get out of my car and disarm me.

His safety has NO precedent over my rights or MY safety. During a Terry Stop, my rights do not end, and I'm not required to exit my vehicle or consent to a search. By giving up my firearm to an officer when I'm not legally required to, but being forced to by the officer is a violation of my rights, privacy, and is a round-about search. It's also grounds for a formal complaint, if not a lawsuit depending on the situation.

Look, I respect LE and the job they have to do. But I'm not going to place their safety above my rights. I might go out of my way to find a safe place for both of us to pull over, but I'm not just going to hand over my firearm for the officer to fumble around with, and (like has happened before to ME) watch him drop the mag and throw ammo around, and come close to dropping the gun itself.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    When it comes to taking a firearm during a stop, I actually think that should be left to the officer's discretion, unfortunately some officers may abuse that discretion once in a while.

If an officer sees a person speeding and swerving all over the road, he pulls the car over, the driver smells like alcohol and has a handgun on his seat, I'd call for back up and I'd want to secure that weapon. If a guy simply had a tail light out or something and I noticed he was wearing a shoulder holster, but seemed stable and didn't put out the vibe of being a threat, I'd probably prefer the firearm stay safely in his holster. Transferring loading firearms from person to person isn't a safe or great idea.

Just as officers don't want to let other people hold or handle their duty weapons, most of us feel the same way. We aren't sure if the officer is familiar with our firearm, as we don't expect officers to study every model of firearm for their safety features. Accidental discharges do occur, so letting a firearm sit safely in a holster is sometimes the safest place for all parties involved.

I too, wish we could get back to the good old days, where an officer didn't have to worry about getting shot while he approached every car and citizen. Like I said before, good citizens and law enforcement should be on the same side. As for myself, I've found that not giving LEO a reason to pull me over in the first place has worked pretty well.

:+1: except the last sentence. I can't help having a small lead foot, and I have a problem with having to wear my seat belt anywhere but the highway and interstates.... :dunno: But that's all besides the point.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    :+1: except the last sentence. I can't help having a small lead foot, and I have a problem with having to wear my seat belt anywhere but the highway and interstates.... :dunno: But that's all besides the point.

I can see that too. I don't have a lead foot, but I have the feeling that your lead foot VS my non-lead foot have equally caused no deaths or property damages. The seatbelt law is complete bull**** and should be repealed, but that's our job. I have a lot of respect for officers that enforce our Constitution over local new-age feel good laws that contradict the supreme law of the land, our Constitution. I just saw an officer on INGO last week who said he actually doesn't pull people over solely for not wearing a seat belt.

I don't think law enforcers should have to pick and choose what laws to enforce, it's their job to enforce all laws, and it is currently against to law to drive without a seat belt, but like I said, I have a lot of respect for those who recognize when the government has overstepped its mandate, and look at those laws with contempt. Not wearing a seat belt won't hurt anyone, other than yourself, possibly.

Speeding is a different story. With speeding it all depends on where you are, who is around, and how fast you actually were going. 2AM, no one around, 10 miles over the speed limit? I'd let it slide. 3:10PM, kids walking home from school, 10 miles over the limit? Probably should stop and at least give a warning to slow down for the kids.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    for the kids.

:lmfao: You said "for the kids".... :D

No, i see your point and you're right (about the speeding). It's not like I floor it through a school zone, or drive like a wild race car driver. But if I want to do 90mph on the interstate when there's no traffic around... :dunno: And if you drive around 465, please let me know when you see people actually driving less than 10mph over the speed limit. (When a LEO is present doesn't count...)

Now in town, in a residential neighborhood, sure. I understand speed limits. Some Country roads with lots of hills and turns, sure. But not highways and interstates, and 5-10mph over really isn't much different in most places. just depends on traffic and road conditions.

Regardless, the point is, for a simple infraction no one has the right to disarm me.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    I just read the article. That cop was an idiot, and needs to hand over his badge once he can move his arm again. No uniform, no marked car, just swinging his badge around and following other motorists in a road rage fashion is just plain stupid. This cop should have got on his cell phone and requested a marked car to make the stop if it was that important. As an LEO, I can't stress enough how dumb this cop was.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So by being removed from your car, and disarmed because you had a handgun on you. You were treated like a felon? So if you were the police officer, you would let a man, you have never met or no nothing about, have a loaded handgun on him and hope he doesn't shoot you on the stop because he is going to be late? You must be pretty naive to think that a LEO is not worried about his safety.

Yes, I would. And have.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Ok, so let us retire all cops and let criminals run free. When they break into your house and kill/rape your family. Don't go crying when no one was there to help or follow leads to catch the criminals. Or perhaps you would like total anarchy? I would like you to do a cops job mrjarrell, because you would be one that would get scared and shoot someone. But then again your safety is insignificant isn't it?

Cops will almost certainly not prevent my wife being raped. About all they can do is show up afterwards, take a report, and hope fervently they catch the bad guy. Which they may or may not be able to do.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    So if you were the police officer, you would let a man, you have never met or no nothing about, have a loaded handgun on him and hope he doesn't shoot you on the stop because he is going to be late? You must be pretty naive to think that a LEO is not worried about his safety.

Do you think maybe the person on the other side of the transaction may feel the exact same way?

I have learned here after all, that cops are just like the rest of us and no more or less likely to be dangerous criminals.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gotta love internet technology and these keyword-driven advertisements, dontcha?

picture3ta.png

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom