• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Some folks have problems afterwards some do not. That will be revealed in time. I did not have gallstones, but do have gallbaldder issues. Have had issues for about 20 years. Still have my gallbladder. I did a cleanse similar to that posted above. As long as I don't go completely off the wagon I do fine.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I have 1 fairly large stone, sometimes is causes major pain at night. The kind of pain that I would rather be taken out to pasture. It took awhile before the Dr. finally found the stone. but that has been about 1.5 years ago and I still haven't had my gallbladder removed. The reason I haven't had it done yet is that I've only had 1 or 2 attacks since finding the stone. So I've opted not to have surgery yet. Also the attacks don't happen after eating fatty foods like they do in most people. I know that I'm just putting off the inevitable but I'm scared to have it done until it is absolutely necessary.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have 1 fairly large stone, sometimes is causes major pain at night. The kind of pain that I would rather be taken out to pasture. It took awhile before the Dr. finally found the stone. but that has been about 1.5 years ago and I still haven't had my gallbladder removed. The reason I haven't had it done yet is that I've only had 1 or 2 attacks since finding the stone. So I've opted not to have surgery yet. Also the attacks don't happen after eating fatty foods like they do in most people. I know that I'm just putting off the inevitable but I'm scared to have it done until it is absolutely necessary.

I had some pretty good sized stones and that cleanse/flush thing I posted softened them up and I passed them. Unlike Kidney stones, gall stones aren't minerals (actual stones). Anything to avoid going under the knife was fair game in my mind.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    7th Stepper,
    If you've got GERDS, are on meds and still have heartburn ask your doctor about a prescription for Reglan. I have it too and it took years to get it under control. Anti acid meds alone wouldn't do the trick. I take Reglan, (generic, and it's cheap!) and life is all good. No heartburn, ever, anymore. You have to take it 3 or more times a day, but it's worth it. You can basically eat whatever you want, when you want.

Thanks mrjarrell, I was on Reglan for a couple of years, but unfortunately I was put on another med for a different condition (medically speaking... I'm what's referred to as a "train wreck") and the two conflict with each other. So I can't take the Reglan any longer. It did work, and the med I'm on now is a slightly stronger version of the OTC origional, but it's the only one our ins co will cover. I'm just usually very careful what I eat in the evenings (ie: no wasabi peas after 9pm) and if heartburn does wake me up in the middle of the night, a good dose of Alka-Seltzer will fix it right up. I take that, wait a few minutes for things to calm down, and go right back to bed. Fortunately I'm one of those people who can fall back asleep regardless of what else is going on, so it may take about 20 minutes out of my sleep, but other than that it's not a bother.

The problem at the moment is a lower GI one, that they'er testing me on, and once the battery of test results comes back, they'll know if they're going to do surgery or not. I swore for YEARS that I'd NEVER have a Colonoscopy done, but got forced into it by this danged issue. Now I've had one, and regardless of what else is going on, I'm NEVER having another one!!!! That's an "outtie", not an "innie", and it's going to remain that way from here on out! They can cut me open before I ever allow that test to be run again. Not only do I remember the entire procedure, the meds they gave didn't work, and the Dr had no clue what the word... "OWWWW" meant! I'd like to give him one, and return the favor!

7th Stepper

dingodog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Monticello
    I had mine removed in 2001. Everyone is a bit different when it comes to diet. I can eat what I want as long as I don't get too crazy on the the fried/greasy foods. Also, I had chronic heartburn for years. After the gall bladder came out the heartburn was gone.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My sister did not have insurance so she did not have hers operated on but instead, controlled it by controlling her fat intake. When she first started, she ate around a 5% to 10% fat diet, which is nearly impossible if you try it. She now only has an attack if she overdoes it which she tries to avoid but did it once a couple of years ago during Thanksgiving. She still has her gall bladder. I think her diet now allows 25 to 30% fat.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Was at Westview bright and early (7am) this morning. Surgery took place at 9am, gall bladder is gone.:yesway: Everything went well other than a couple of the incisions are kind of sore. Really can't complain.

Doctor said the gall bladder was scarred from inflammation over the years and was actually adhering to the small intestine and stomach. I've taken the rest of the week off so I'll have 4-4.5 days to recuperate. After that I'll be on light duty for a week at work. Thank God thing's are kind of slow there right now.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Been there and done that about 1 year ago. My diet is no affected but as a previous poster said, if you eat super greasy foods then the "end" result will be softer. The first two months are the worst but then you slowly get better in this regard.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    try a cleanse what do you have to loose...

Well I suppose the doctor could try and wash it in a sink or something.:D

It was removed yesterday and from what the doctor said it HAD to come out. He said it had been inflamed for so many years and had quite a bit of scar tissue. He said the scar tissue had started to adhere to the small intestine and stomach. Guess that's not a good thing.:dunno:

Feeling better today, and I've been able to get by with only taking Aleve. Pain med's like vicodin and I don't get along very well.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I feel your pain ... sort of. My wife had this procedure exactly two weeks ago today. The biggest issue was the air "bubbles" moving around her tissues before being dissipated/absorbed. Hope your recovery is uneventful. My wife also had a slight touch of the flu the day after surgery ... really sucked.

Plus side, she feels 100% now but still following orders and taking it easy with the lifting. She's also feeling really optimistic about her dietary future. She wanted to get it over with and find out what the result would be ... she ate two slices of cheese, sausage, pepperoni, and onion pizza the other day as a test (wouldn't recommend this). Not a single problem. She's still going to take the opportunity to eat healthier though.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    I feel your pain ... sort of. My wife had this procedure exactly two weeks ago today. The biggest issue was the air "bubbles" moving around her tissues before being dissipated/absorbed. Hope your recovery is uneventful. My wife also had a slight touch of the flu the day after surgery ... really sucked.

Plus side, she feels 100% now but still following orders and taking it easy with the lifting. She's also feeling really optimistic about her dietary future. She wanted to get it over with and find out what the result would be ... she ate two slices of cheese, sausage, pepperoni, and onion pizza the other day as a test (wouldn't recommend this). Not a single problem. She's still going to take the opportunity to eat healthier though.

My surgery was at 9am yesterday morning. I was home at 4pm and was able to eat some food, yogurt, breakfast bars, etc... I had no problems with the carbon dioxide gas, no pain from it. They said to walk around to dissipate any remaining gas, so I walked around the house quite a bit yesterday evening. One incision has been especially sore, but Aleve has been enough for me.

I LOVE pizza, but will take it slow on that food. I'm hoping I will be one of the lucky one's who don't have to make major changes to their diet, time will tell.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I had that surgery some months ago. Not a big deal, but it left the stomach muscles sore.
    I think there was some miscommunication though, because I wasn't even 5 minutes out from under the anesthia, and they brought me a big lunch....roast pork!! I scarfed it down and it tasted great, but it proceeded to return via the same path it entered.Guess I should have questioned it, huh?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    I had that surgery some months ago. Not a big deal, but it left the stomach muscles sore.
    I think there was some miscommunication though, because I wasn't even 5 minutes out from under the anesthia, and they brought me a big lunch....roast pork!! I scarfed it down and it tasted great, but it proceeded to return via the same path it entered.Guess I should have questioned it, huh?

Wow mix up somewhere. They gave me Gatorade since my mouth was pasted together seeing how I hadn't drank anything since midnight the night before.

I hope your pain medications hadn't worn off yet. Using those stomach muscles to bring that food back up would have been VERY painful.

Top Bottom