• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In the case of Kelly Thomas, I would have to disagree. The video is out there that shows the entire incident. How any jury let those animals walk is beyond absurd.

The fact that a jury decided it means the system worked...regardless of the outcome. I think that is what he was meaning and I agree. Same with Grand Juries. Citizens decided if charges should be filed.

Yep, exactly.

Our system is set up (or at least, those parts of it) to NOT have a predetermined outcome. It is up to jurors - regular people like you - who made those decisions. We can disagree. We can protest. We can fail to comprehend. But, the system did what it is supposed to do. It allowed regular citizens to decide if a crime was committed. Not the police. Not the judge. Not a monarch. Regular people.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The fact that a jury decided it means the system worked...regardless of the outcome. I think that is what he was meaning and I agree. Same with Grand Juries. Citizens decided if charges should be filed.

Yep, exactly.

Our system is set up (or at least, those parts of it) to NOT have a predetermined outcome. It is up to jurors - regular people like you - who made those decisions. We can disagree. We can protest. We can fail to comprehend. But, the system did what it is supposed to do. It allowed regular citizens to decide if a crime was committed. Not the police. Not the judge. Not a monarch. Regular people.

The system produced a result, that's it. It "works" every time in that regard. We have no idea how the jury was instructed or manipulated. There is a lot of room for corruption.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The system produced a result, that's it. It "works" every time in that regard. We have no idea how the jury was instructed or manipulated. There is a lot of room for corruption.

In the Kelly Thomas case, we do know how they were instructed. It was a public, adversarial trial.

In the Ferguson case, we have more transparency than I've ever seen in a GJ proceeding. It passed the "smell test" from what I read.

In NYC, things are f'd up and I'm skeptical whether the system was properly used. Or ever is.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    People judge the system as working or not based on the outcomes they expect. I had a co-worker arrested earlier this year of some BS charges. It went to a jury and he was found guilty. I still think it was all BS and the guilty finding was a surprise to us but justice was served regardless if I agree with the outcome or not. Just because the outcome was not what we expected does not make the process improper. I conceited that the jury MUST know more about my friend's case than I do and based their decision on that. I'm sure the other juries have more information that we have to base their decisions on. It would be a fallacy to believe we have all the facts in the interwebz.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    People judge the system as working or not based on the outcomes they expect. I had a co-worker arrested earlier this year of some BS charges. It went to a jury and he was found guilty. I still think it was all BS and the guilty finding was a surprise to us but justice was served regardless if I agree with the outcome or not. Just because the outcome was not what we expected does not make the process improper. I conceited that the jury MUST know more about my friend's case than I do and based their decision on that. I'm sure the other juries have more information that we have to base their decisions on. It would be a fallacy to believe we have all the facts in the interwebz.

There are a lot of admirable qualities to our [STRIKE]justice[/STRIKE] legal system, but I cannot agree that every result it produces is "justice served."

Sometimes killers go free, and sometimes innocent people get life in prison. We all know that. I'm not saying we should tear down the system. But injustices can easily creep past a jury.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wants-More-Government.png

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    All of this was caused by the NY and NYC government. There would be no black market for singles if taxes weren't almost $7.00 per pack.

IDK. They sold "loosies" in the hood back in the late 80's....right next to the bulletproof in the corner stores. Back them the stores would get busted for single sales.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    Lawyer talk: "When I was young and inexperienced, I lost some cases I should have won. Later on, when I was older and wiser, I won some cases I should have lost. So, in the end, justice was done."

Our system of "justice" is not perfect but I think it is about as good as it can be when dealing with us imperfect people. There are many cases that do not seem to come out right, but I think we do have to respect the process and try to fix the things we find that are broken. Not riot, just have reasoned discussion and try to correct things that can be fixed.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    CNN asks Eric Garner?s daughter if her dad was killed because he was black, you?ll LOVE how she responded |

Lemon interviewed the man’s daughter, Erica, and asked her if racism contributed to the death.
    “This is not a black and white issue,” she said. “This is a national crisis.”
    Even when pressed further for clarification, Erica Garner replied, “I really doubt it. It was about the officer’s pride. It was about my father being 6’4″ and 350 pounds and he wants to be the top cop that brings a big man down.”

Top Bottom