• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Would the software be able to differentiate between a child and a murderous dwarf? Just saying, we could be in for a waist-high crime wave.

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    ohno.jpg

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So instead of fixing the real problem at hand - some people are sick and twisted - they want to put a band aid on an amputated limb and change the guns? Even if something this insane were possible I fail to see how it would stop the crazy people from being violent. That's a bit like mowing down the weeds in your yard in my opinion.

Rob54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Merrillville, Indiana
    WOW! This guy was really thinking and I hope that some politico doesn't latch on to this. Imagine a chip being implanted in every new gun. Not so far fetched! That gun could be tracked and identified by GPS. The government could even demand that all existing firearms have a chip installed. Sound far fetched? How many of you thought that we would stop using cash 10 years ago? That all of our deposits would be automated. Our bills paid through a computer. That we would make purchases with a debit card? Think about the possibilities! Knowing where every gun is. Yes the criminal element would still find ways to defeat the system. They would now have a way to hack into what each of us owns. BUT...don't put this scenario outside of future possibilities! Big brother would love this!

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I happen to be a software engineer, and I cannot believe this is a serious article. Current technology simply cannot do all the things that he lists. Those things that are possible (for example, a gun knowing its location) would either require bulky add-ons or introduce a level of unreliability that simply isn't acceptable. Even if it were all possible - why in the word would I want to broadcast my location? Or have my gun turned off if I'm in a "no guns" zone? And of course all of these measures are easily countered by someone with a "dumb gun." The article is full of fail, both technical and tactical.

Technology is working its way into weapons. How many red dot sights have been sold this year? Not to mention lasers and other doo-dads that no one would have expected 30 years ago. But these are lightweight and reliable systems that do not interfere with the basic operation of the weapon.

I was surprised that the article did not mention biometrics. That seems like the only tech that is possibly within reach that would make guns "safer". If your gun would fire only for you, or for others that you allow to use it, that could prevent some of the tragedies we've seen. The hardware and software for such things already exist, but integrating them into a firearm is a serious engineering challenge. It would have to be reliable, fast, and at least somewhat tamper-proof, and more importantly something that people would be willing to use. I don't see even this (relatively speaking) simpler technology happening anytime soon.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Or how about 'smarter' politicians, starting with the Mayors Against Illegal Guns?

Or we could experiment with these new guns, issue them to the Secret Service and mayoral bodyguard details first? If they work well there, then we can consider them for the general population.

:ingo:

Valor35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette
    I was surprised that the article did not mention biometrics. That seems like the only tech that is possibly within reach that would make guns "safer". If your gun would fire only for you, or for others that you allow to use it, that could prevent some of the tragedies we've seen. The hardware and software for such things already exist, but integrating them into a firearm is a serious engineering challenge. It would have to be reliable, fast, and at least somewhat tamper-proof, and more importantly something that people would be willing to use. I don't see even this (relatively speaking) simpler technology happening anytime soon.

Interesting idea (biometrics), but I agree that the technology is a long way from being even close to ready. There are also the compounding issues that would need to be resolved: letting someone else shoot your firearm, transfer of biometric data when selling a firearm, the fact that no technology is foolproof and WILL fail (system lock out on one extreme, totally 'open' on the other), and when the technology fails, is the firearm owner liable? Also, the concept of privacy rights and monitoring -- what a mess!

Ironically, my computer crashed in the middle of writing this -- doesn't exactly build my confidence regarding a technologically 'smart' firearm. One of the great advantages (imho) about firearms is that they function on simple, reliable processes that aren't techno heavy.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    This measure supported by Anonymous

Yes, lets put computers into guns, because we know security measures keep out all the unwanted intruders from our computer systems.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    So a bad guy with a gun in one hand and a child in another can kick in my front door and I can't do anything about it? No thanks.

Top Bottom