Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Texas (#14) is now ahead of Indiana (#16) on the freedom ranking.

Sorry I'm just getting back to this thread. Been busy.

I'm not sure about the freedom rankings but my observation is that so many people on INGO and IRL speak of Texas like it's the last hope for freedom. A #14 ranking on whatever the freedom ranking is doesn't impress me for the last hope of freedom.

My company is based in Texas. I go down there frequently. There are worst places to be but there are better too.

I'm not surprised by Indiana's ranking. Where does WY rank on that list?

at the end of the day, I'm glad Magpul moved. I'm sure they made the best financial choice for their company which is all a business should do IMO.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    And in other news, John Morse is apparently still under the illusion that he is a member of the Colorado State senate.

https://www.facebook.com/johnmorseSD11

"Government official"? Did the DPRK offer him a job as consul to the DPRC?

flag-31.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sorry I'm just getting back to this thread. Been busy.

I'm not sure about the freedom rankings but my observation is that so many people on INGO and IRL speak of Texas like it's the last hope for freedom. A #14 ranking on whatever the freedom ranking is doesn't impress me for the last hope of freedom.

My company is based in Texas. I go down there frequently. There are worst places to be but there are better too.

I'm not surprised by Indiana's ranking. Where does WY rank on that list?

at the end of the day, I'm glad Magpul moved. I'm sure they made the best financial choice for their company which is all a business should do IMO.

I'm with you. I used to have to travel often for work and I always dreaded the trip to Dallas.

Freedom in the 50 States 2013 | Overall Freedom | Mercatus Center

Texas:
    "Texas prides itself on being a freedom-loving state, and at 14th in rank its citizens have something to be proud of. However, its policies are sometimes not as consistent with individual liberty as the rhetoric of its officials and citizens would suggest. Like many southern states, Texas performs better on economic freedom than personal freedom. Yet despite its reputation as a low-regulation state, it is only average for regulatory policy—while it is above average for fiscal policy."

"Texas’s personal freedom rank is mediocre. The state’s asset forfeiture and gaming laws are about average. Alcohol is less regulated than in most other states, and beer, wine, and liquor taxes are low. Gun control is better than average, though the state falls short on open-carry laws."

Wyoming ranks 36th. They suck in economic freedom, but they excel in regulatory freedom. Personal freedom, eh, not so much, except WY is very gun friendly. I think the location, regulatory freedom, and WY's gun friendly laws make them a pretty natural choice for Magpul's manufacturing operations.

stchas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Terrible Haute
    I didn't read through every page so I apologize if someone previously mentioned but Haley Strategic has also decided to leave Colorado and will be moving operations to Arizona. Compared to what Magpul put into the economy it's a drop in the bucket but how many other small firearms related business may have decided/been forced to leave the state without the hub bub of Magpul. It's sad that outside resources were allowed to prevail over facts.

Top Bottom