• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Nickel is magnetic also. It doesn't mean they are steel cases coated in nickel.
    I myself haven't used anything other than brass cases in my handguns. I did try aluminum 1 time over 10years ago(45acp) and that didn't work out. Nothing but ejection issues. I do however use steel cases in my ar15s with zero issues and will continue.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well yeah as far as I know Russian stuff is just steel case. Maybe they are coating it with brass now. I think there is a ban on Russian ammo right now anyway. Seems like Silver Bear might have been zinc plated steel.

I have seen some silver and brass colored coated steel cases around. I think there was a guy on this forum that tried reloading steel case for a while. Seems like high risk and low reward to me.
    There is Tula Russian brand or was Russian called Sargent Major that is Zinc coated steel.
    I think they still make it and ship it out of Russia and it's packed in a different country then shipped here. Like Russian oil.
    I haven't shot any of this but would like to get a box of it to try out.
    1718089489121.png
    1718089509381.png

Greffy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2019
    Los Angeles County
    I found some brass plated steel cases that were the CBC (Brazil) brand, I believe that CBC owns Sellier & Bellot (Czech) now. Both make/have made plated steel case ammo among many others as mentioned.

BackFromDC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    What happens when you reload an Aluminum case? I did one by accident, was told by my gray beard reloader mentor that it's not good. We fired it. It went bang. :dunno:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What happens when you reload an Aluminum case? I did one by accident, was told by my gray beard reloader mentor that it's not good. We fired it. It went bang. :dunno:
    I've reloaded 4x on Blazer aluminum. On the 4th time I had maybe 2 out of 100 split on me. It was am experiment to see if they could indeed be loaded if necessary.
    I think one thing it has a very short life. You keep them under three reloads or under you will probably be okay. Nothing hot just normal pressure as well.
    Also not all aluminum are boxer primed. Some are berdan.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    Cheap forien ammo sometimes use a brass alloy that contains a high percentage of steel. Some will be so hard they will not resize.

Top Bottom