• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have a 1980's NM M1A, a Fat barreled 30? year old Armalite AR10 and a early 90's fat barrel Match Robinson Armament SR25.
    All fun and accurate rifle to shoot, I would pick the SR25 every time over the others. The main reason its a Stoner design, and its about a 35 year newer design than the AR10.

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    I watched a video by Reid Henrichs who runs classes. He said he never has an AR10 run his class without issues. Now that was quite a few years ago, so maybe the platform has been improved. I went with M1A over AR10. One is a Loaded set up as a DMR with a 3-12 on a Sadlak mount and a Socom with a CQB stock and Primary Arms 1x Prism red dot on this mount. Very versatile platform.
    1722997075572.png

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I have both platforms. And I honestly couldn't choose of i had to have just one. The ar10 brings a great familiarity to it and they seem a little bit easier to shoot especially for younger ones. But m1a. Well its a classic and it's just good ol fun to shoot. Either way ya can't go wrong at all.

JayCo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2024
    Marion County
    I have an AR10 now with components to build another with a longer barrel.

The M1A is interesting to me, if you had to have just one which one would it be & why?
    From a pure looks perspective, M1A, or just the M14 platform in general. I absolutely love the way that platform looks, both with old school wood, and when it's modernized, especially the EBR.

From a functional standpoint, the AR10 is going to have so much more support. Any upgrade you could ever want is available, and available from ten different manufactures. You can easily make the AR10 yours

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What is your intended use? I could have a nice M1A for what I've put in an AR10 so price is not the issue. Only real advantage I see for the AR is the ability to swap a bbl and use many different calibers if ammo for one became scarce at a location. Could make it a 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor or .243 or 7mm-08 with a simple bbl change.

Never had an M1A or M14 but they sure are nifty. Probably higher on the cool scale than an AR10.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    In the fall of 1998, I bought a new M1A Standard from Russ Elmore (a Vietnam Vet that ran a gun shop in Greenwood, IN back in the day). I sent it back to the factory and had it upgraded to full National Match specifications. I used that rifle for the next 10 years in competition, shooting out to 1,000 yards. It was a reliable and extremely accurate platform with proper ammo and me doing my part. I've shot the AR platform but not the .30 cal flavor.

I would have no doubts relying on the M1A.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've currently got an M1A scout that I bought to replace one I owned years ago and had since sold to fund other gun projects. I've also owned a few DPMS 308's over the years. If the gun runs and shoots well I tend to like them, regardless of design.

I like the look and feel of an M1A. It's close enough to a Garand that I get my fix, but with 20rd mags it's more than capable of putting some fast paced fire on a target if needed. Putting a silencer on it is a bit of a pain, and I'm in the midst of working those bugs out for mine. I'm also looking at putting a piece of rail on the side of the forend to mount a flashlight. The only mags I trust with an M1A are made by checkmate, or USGI Ultimately though, I will probably take it to Texas this fall to go hog hunting. Personally, I prefer the scout model because of the balance of size and weight, and I especially like that solid scope mount.

I like the AR10 design because I'm used to the AR15/M16 design. It's a great ergonomic rifle capable of better accuracy than the M1A in my experience. The availability of accessories is huge/unlimited with the AR10. The magazines are plentiful with many options from magpul especially.

I attached a picture of my M1A in it's current configuration.

Attachments

• 20240803_161210.jpg
      20240803_161210.jpg
      699 KB · Views: 15

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

TFB TV did an actual comparison between a M1A and a Aero M5. Unless it's got the charismatic Steel & Wood look, it doesn't seem like the M1A performs well for the price.

I was going to post a link to this same video, but you beat me to it. Even though the Tanker didn't do as well in this video I'd still like to add one to my collection.

Top Bottom