• Do you prefer firing the M1 or the M1A

• Total voters

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    This past weekend I fired my Garand for the first time. I absolutely love it. I have Springfield M1A Loaded that I really like, but something about the Garand was special. The history is a very nice aspect, but the gun itself was a pleasure to shoot. So for those of you who own or have fired both, which do you prefer?

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Yea, its nice having the same type of gun that my grandfathers and father carried in the military, but I enjoyed the feel of the M1 better, also.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My M1 garand is the first rifle I ever owned (an that is only since April of this year.) It has new wood but otherwise the action and barell are SA matching from May of 1943 and all indications say it was a battle rifle. My M1a is a Springfield standard that I have scoped and is a thing of beauty. My character type, background, and training is that of a scientist and the M1a is in my opinion a better rifle but the Garand still makes my hair stand on end when I open the safe. Up until about a month ago the nastalgia stories were all about the Garand; you know...the old timers that share their heart stopping stories when they see or hear that you own a Garand. If I never shot it it would be worth owning for that effect alone. Then a co-workers dad started sharing stories about carying a M14 with a twighlight scope on night runs in Vietnam and my respect for the heritige of the two weapons wasn't so one sided.
    If I was FORCED to sell one off and keep one...my Garand stays.
    Good thread, I am interested to hear from others.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    They both are nice, but the Garand had more history to me. It also helps that I have a boat load of 30-06 again. :D

Less to deal with on the Garand, insert clip, bang x8, ping. No mag changes to deal with, and it's already dinged up from honest use.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I have seven Garands and one m1a. I love the Garands But I carried the M14 for three years in the army(eighteen months in Vietnam. I don't recall having a single issue with the M1a. It was in the rain the mud and at times it didn't always get proper care. It always went bang when I needed it.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I have both. I voted for the Garand simply because I have always shot better scores with it across the NMC.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Haha, well, the m1 garand was my fave rifle before I had to sell it. Both have the most perfect iron sights on any rifle I've fired. The m1 can't be used much beyond casual shooting as the gas system can't handle newer.30-06 without using an adjustable gas plug. The m1a is good to go for combat and occasional shooting, so it's a tuffy.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Ha! Currently 10 to 10, perfecto.
    icon7.gif

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    Sorry I had to swing it to the Garand. I have a '42 Springfield VAR Garand and an M1A Scout/Squad. I bought the Garand when I couldn't get the Scout a few years ago. Side by side the Garand has less fiddly stuff on it. It's more simple and I think a cleaner rifle overall. I really like my Scout, but the Garand wins in my book.

Top Bottom