• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i went to the cmp this past summer. the guy working there asked me what i was looking for, i told him i wanted a shooter. he went directly to the service grade and with his bore gauge started checking them in front of me telling me the the readings, and from there i got to make my choice on the rifle that called out to me from that group of good ones. he was very helpful. showed me how to tear it down as he went over the rifle one last time before sending it to its new home. All i really knew when i went was that i wanted a garand that would shoot well, and he made me feel more than welcome, as if he were proud of the service he was providing. My next rifle purchase from the cmp will be at the store as well. you definately need to go.
    on the other hand, i have not heard of anyone that has been disappointed with a service grade rifle ordered from there without going. they say the big brown truck of happiness showed up and everything was good from there. I prefer to go myself, it is almost kind of a pilgrimage of sorts.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Can someone explain to me exactly what you need to do to qualify?

I am a Navy Vet... would my DD214 help me? or is there something else I need to do to qualify?

Lucky,

Click the two following CMP links and they should explain what you need: :)

Sales Form Index

Sales FAQs

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

nmcqueen469

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Whitley County
    i went to the cmp this past summer. the guy working there asked me what i was looking for, i told him i wanted a shooter. he went directly to the service grade and with his bore gauge started checking them in front of me telling me the the readings, and from there i got to make my choice on the rifle that called out to me from that group of good ones. he was very helpful. showed me how to tear it down as he went over the rifle one last time before sending it to its new home. All i really knew when i went was that i wanted a garand that would shoot well, and he made me feel more than welcome, as if he were proud of the service he was providing. My next rifle purchase from the cmp will be at the store as well. you definately need to go.
    on the other hand, i have not heard of anyone that has been disappointed with a service grade rifle ordered from there without going. they say the big brown truck of happiness showed up and everything was good from there. I prefer to go myself, it is almost kind of a pilgrimage of sorts.

That's pretty awesome, can't beat that kind of service!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

I am a Navy Vet... would my DD214 help me? or is there something else I need to do to qualify?

I brought mine but didn't need it.....Birth Certificate, DL, my IN handgun permit/ liciense (which ever u prefer to call it) an my card that showed I belonged to the GCA...... you have to belong to a gun club of some sorts to qualify....however I later found out you can sign up an pay cash at the store for a membership...think GCA is 28.00 an another one is only 14.00...I think my service discharge papers weren't needed since I showed them my permit/license.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Lucky, you will be glad you went with CMP. These M1 Garands will one day, soon I would imagine, be dried up through them. Then you will have to deal with the unknowns at gunshows and local shops...... welded receivers, bad headspaced barrels/bolts, disguised import marks, bad op rods , etc ..... and the high $$.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

Lucky,
    I have been to the North store four times. I encourage anyone who has not been to go. If you like Garands and shooting it is a spiritual experience. LOL! With regard to buying a rifle, ammo, or receiver. If you happen to be a member of the military Reserves or National Guard or are a LEO. Just show them your ID card and it will negate you from having to join a club or organization before you buy something. I am in the Air Force Reserves and have done it multiple times. The CMP considers the above mentioned organizations as fullfilling the requirement for shooting in a " sanctioned match". The people there are VERY helpful and friendly and knowledgeable. Hope this info helps? Have fun.:D

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville

Exactly the same experience that I had. When I told them I was getting one for my dad they helped me pick a few to choose from. I bought two of them. I had them shipped to me to avoid the sales tax. The shipping was much cheaper at the time. I'm kicking myself for not getting one of the 1000 yard targets they had. They were like 5' tall and very cool. I want one for the garage. Good Luck.

FordBronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Hartsville
    Make sure you meet the Eligibility Requirements before you drive up... you do not want to be up there, at the counter to pay and not be able to finish the deal.

Check the website for info: Eligibility Requirements

Joining GCA (Garand Collectors Association) will meet the club requirement.

FordBronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Hartsville
    ... Oh, and if you see something you want - purchase it! It will not be there the next time you go and it will be too late!

Had my hands on about 6 "Field Grade" Garands with "new" spec barrels on my first trip and did not bring them home - should have. Still kicking myself for that one!

g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    I have an H&R post war and a Winchester war baby,NPM Carbine war baby and now you all have me Jonesing to take a day off and go Garand hunting. Garands are like ARs you really can't have to many. That day trip has been in my head for at least the last ten years. It just got bumped up a couple notches.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    School me... I want a Garand so bad I can taste it. What is this CMP store you talk about...

Also, the last Appleseed I attended one of the guys was telling me something about me being a vet gives me access to a place to buy Garands on the cheap. I wish I would have paid more attention....

Any info would be great.

Google CMP.org

FordBronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Hartsville
    Here is a modern Springfield that I let go of a couple of years back... Still have several others though.

picture.php

Here is a 1944 Springfield, with a decent 9-44 barrel!

picture.php

... and the with a marked stock too!

picture.php

Now if I can find a M1A to replace that first Garand I let go...

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make the trip in February. My youngest son just spent a week in the hospital after a series of seizures, and some sizable bills are on the way. I'm still hoping to get up there, but it just won't be until I get caught up financially. I'm hoping there won't be some dumb executive order restricting Garands before I get one.

I hope you guys are still able to get together and get up there. I could probably still go, but it would kill me not to be able to buy one, so I'll probably pass until later.

Most importantly, my boy is doing well and has a good prognosis.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I got a couple of M1s at the CMP South Store in May of 2011. A Service Grade H&R and a Field Grade Winchester(WIN-13).
    CMPRifles20110415-03.jpg

I went last May intending to only buy only ammo and bayonets; but, a pretty nice Eddystone Model of 1917 followed me home.
    M1917M1903-20120514-08EddyBayonet.jpg

Here are those threads:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/146004-cmp_south_store.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...econd_annual_trip_to_the_cmp_store_south.html

I plan to go again the first week in May. I hope the selection is good!

Picking your own rifle out at the CMP is a real thrill!!

Top Bottom