• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brg1966

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Muncie
    I'm really wanting a M1 Garand. I would like to have a nice one that I could take to the range or farm and shoot. I'm not wanting a museum piece or collector/safe queen. That being said, my questions:
    1) What would be a fair price for one as I mentioned above?
    2) What should I be aware of in terms barrel wear ETC or known issues?
    3) Is one manufacturer preferred or better than another?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Go to CMP Sales read everything you can and order with confidence from them. They will have a grade to match your budget.
    Check out the forums over there also, you can learn anything you want about the M1.
    They will be your cheapest place (unless you find a hell of a deal ) for a Garand.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^^^^^^ I got mine from CMP. I bought one of the Greek Army returns. Field grade I think but the barrel is pretty good still. I bought a stock and refinished it since the one that came back from Greece looked like it ran into a family of beavers.

I then stripped all the metal down and had it parkerized. Now I am thinking of replacing the barrel just to have a new one, adding some NM sights and actually shooting it next year.

They are so much fun to shoot!

Old_grunt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Bloomington
    +1 for CMP
    They have surplus Greek mfg'd ammo (HXP '77), all accessories and match grade ammo, from Atomic, as well. Currently, they're going through the warehouses, checking rifles as quickly as possible and, as of the last newsletter I got, there's a 120-180 day wait for SA rifles. Service grade rifles are $650. Includes S&H + what seems to be a Plano gun case, free. Rifle comes direct to you so you have to be home and sign for it. Order a cleaning kit as well.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    See my thread about a trip i made to CMP a few weeks ago.. Good times, not that far away....AND, you get your rifle with no 6 month waiting time, PLUS you pick it out yourself. Since you live in Muncie, you are even closer. Look at the CMP website like has been suggested. They have well used M1D's and M1C's for $1200. I picked out a redone Harrington and Richardson M1 for $950. All new wood and barrel and reparkerized receiver. Beautiful weapon. I added it to my collection, I have 2 other garands as well. Again, read the CMP website.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    +1 to what has been said about the CMP. If I were you, I'd take a trip to the CMP North Store (after making sure you have all the requirements met) and you will have a whole lot of great rifles to choose from.

racersden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Evansville
    Hello

I would check the CMP forums first. The guys there give updates on North and South store inventories. Both stores have very limited hours due to lack of inventory to put out. They have about 10,000 orders pending from last update. If you put order in for Springfield service grade it may be 30-90 days to see it.

Shooter grade M1's are out there. A friend just picked up a very nice H&R for $600.00.

Gunbroker is also a good source. I just picked up a International Harvester M1 last week from Gunbroker.

Good luck

Glen

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    +1 CMP.

These are battle rifles, meant for war. The are absolutely perfect as a utility rifle for around the farm.

As mentioned above, get some Greek ammo. It's made for the Garand. Avoid commercial ammo.

Good shooting!

'ol poke.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Go to CMP Sales read everything you can and order with confidence from them. They will have a grade to match your budget.
    Check out the forums over there also, you can learn anything you want about the M1.
    They will be your cheapest place (unless you find a hell of a deal ) for a Garand.

^^^^^^^^^^ What Red said. I have been to the North store CMP twice and it is WELL worth the trip and time going. You will be hard pressed to find a better place to get a Garand. The staff there are nothing short of walking M1 Garand information computers. Go, Go, Go...NOW!!:yesway:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    +1 CMP! I got my Springfield M1 Garand back in July after driving up there to Port Clinton, OH. and spent the night and then went to the CMP the next morning. There were 5 left in the field grade for $525. I picked the best of 5 paying particular attention to the barrel and overall cosmetics of the rifle. Mine is a great shooter from 1945. Has a 1949 Winchester Barrel and a IHC trigger housing.
    GO DO IT ALREADY! Just like the rest of the gentleman here are telling you! It is worth the drive and I will be making the trip again when they start getting some more IHC's in.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    here's hoping, my son build me a navy 308 garand for my birthday, what a rifle. Just makes ya want more

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    +1 CMP.

These are battle rifles, meant for war. The are absolutely perfect as a utility rifle for around the farm.

As mentioned above, get some Greek ammo. It's made for the Garand. Avoid commercial ammo.

Good shooting!

'ol poke.

Why avoid commercial ammo?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Why avoid commercial ammo?
    If you have access to a reloading book you will find all kinds of loading data for the 30-06 AND you will loading data for M1 Garand 30-06 listed seperately in its own section (treated as a different round entirely) in the loading book.

Tons of surplus M1 Garand currently at CMP though. 200rds in a ammo box for $98 is what I paid in July.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    So, Im just now learning about CMP.. Do they only get stuff in sometimes? Like If I wanted to take a trip down there sometime, is there a chance I will come back empty handed? Thanks guys, Im reading the site too, just figured Id ask here too.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Unless you have an adjustable gas plug to bleed off the excess pressure you will eventually bend the op rod.
    Surplus or hand loads with the correct burn rate of powder is all that should be used.

If you have access to a reloading book you will find all kinds of loading data for the 30-06 AND you will loading data for M1 Garand 30-06 listed seperately in its own section (treated as a different round entirely) in the loading book.

Tons of surplus M1 Garand currently at CMP though. 200rds in a ammo box for $98 is what I paid in July.

I didn't know that, thanks!

The garands you buy thru CMP, are they original? Or are they refinished? I never understood that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I didn't know that, thanks!

The garands you buy thru CMP, are they original? Or are they refinished? I never understood that.

They are "mixmasters" for the most part. Over the years, when the rifles would come back into the armories, they were stripped down and all the worn parts were discarded. Then replacement parts were taken out of a bin and a working rifle was put back into service. Since several manufacturers made the rifles, you may have parts from several manufacturers and years on the same rifle.

This is an example of how well Mil-Spec works. Each manufacturer had to make parts according to military specification therefore assuring interchangeability of components from mfr. to mfr.

This is also why a rifle with all of the parts from one manufacturer and one year is worth so much money.

Oh, and they are not what I call "refinished". More like rebuilt as opposed to restored.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Good.. I like the history. They're history was rough, and the rifles carry those scars. Its says more about them. IMO

Top Bottom