M&P9 FS - is it as bad as the internet makes it seem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Something with lockup. I am still on the fence about a 9fs I have possibly having this issue. 1 out of 5 rounds tends to fly out of whack. 25 yards really noticeable. 10 yards, not so much. My pro & compact do not exhibit this behavior.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Something with lockup. I am still on the fence about a 9fs I have possibly having this issue. 1 out of 5 rounds tends to fly out of whack. 25 yards really noticeable. 10 yards, not so much. My pro & compact do not exhibit this behavior.

Call S&W, ask if your firearm shipped with the 1/10 twist barrel. If it didn't, you may be able to make an accuracy claim, or get a replacementl one wolf or somethin. or

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've had no accuracy problems. I was hitting 12" steel at 25 yards off hand with full size. Maybe those with accuracy problems are the kind or people who can shoot 1" pistol groups at 25 yards...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I was making a fist size pattern at 25 yards the other day with my Glock 26.

I know this thread is about the M&P 9FS, but I just wanted to brag a little :D

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Yep. Just changed some of their barrel twists recently. There were well documented reports of terrible accuracy out past 15y or so. M4c has some decent threads with info - looks like they have it under control? Mags are still stupid hard to find in FS

Current production S&W M&P's (Update)

I do not own any MP series, so I can't comment on anything but dry fire, and .. eh.

Yes there were some of the older ones that had accuracy issues, but I don't believe it was the entire line, but rather a few bad ones. Certainly not all were inaccurate, or they wouldn't be so popular in shooting sports. Mine was a 2009 model I think, and it was great. I will admit that I am not good enough to shoot a 2" group at 25y with any handgun though (I assume they are using some sort of supported ench rest position to do that).

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Most of the issues were resolved post 2011 (iirc). Some run 147 grain with better accuracy. The issue as I read it, involved 9FS only. 9Pro or 9c wasn't a problem.
    It also seemed 'hit & miss' (no pun intended) from one gun to another.
    Then they went and changed the twist rate/barrels this year. So perhaps there was some truth to it all? dunno.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    The S&W M&P problem thread

Accuracy tests usually omit the user. Just because you can't do it dosent mean the gun shouldn't be able to. I think that's the nature of the accuracy issues ppl were having, like 10" benched.

Edit: again, I don't have one of these and that link and credit is all the user testimonials on m4c.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I'd love to try a FS, but I'm looking for out of the box reliability - I think the parts for both glocks and m&p should have been dealt with in house, and apex, well.. it shouldn't be necessary.

I don't think ill buy any new glocks or m&p, my last 19 was a bust (BTF). One should only have to change sights. Too bad the LEM trigger is so.. challenging.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    No accuracy issues here but I have new production M&P’s. Supposedly, in recent years, they changed the twist rate of the rifling to better stabilize heavier projectiles, but I have yet to confirm this. I would surmise this is where the inaccuracy claims stemmed from: use of the older style, slower twist rate barrels with the heavier projectiles, thus, resulting in decreased accuracy (again yet to be confirmed). As for the trigger, I have all Apex triggers and internals in all of my M&P's.

And now for some M&P pron…

MP9SD_01.jpg

MP9Sights_02.jpg

MP9Sights_01.jpg

[video=youtube;X8PEGqF5BX4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8PEGqF5BX4[/video]

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    I have 3 M&P pistols, a .40c, .9L, and a new VTAC. I have had zero problems or complaints on any of them. Tune your finger to the trigger and there's nothing wrong with it, is it a Glock trigger or a 1911 trigger...no. I have Glocks and carried one prior to the VTAC for many moons, it's not better it's just different. Having seen first hand "problems with accuracy" claims, most of accuracy problems are shooter created, not all but most. Twist rate changes??? Iv heard nothing of this, but the VTAC is new 4 weeks ago and with 147 grain ammo is awesome in the shoot where I point department.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'd love to try a FS, but I'm looking for out of the box reliability - I think the parts for both glocks and m&p should have been dealt with in house, and apex, well.. it shouldn't be necessary.

Apex parts aren't necessary. It's just that those of us who cut our teeth on Glocks came to prefer a certain kind of feel. A box stock M&P will run just fine.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Apex parts are not your right but, its still a damn good improvement. If you dont like the grit i you can take some 1000 grit to the top on the trigger where it rubs the striker block and that will take some of the grit out

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I have the early models and I do noticed that the triggers were gritty, with use it becomes smooth. Mine's accurate, I'm not.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Just bought my M&P9 last night! The trigger is actually really nice. It has a very clear and pretty short reset. It's much better than the trigger on my dad's M&P9C he got a few years ago. I also like the new stock tactical sights that have a squared front edge that you can use to do one hand manipulations. Will post pics when I can.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I have the early models and I do noticed that the triggers were gritty, with use it becomes smooth. Mine's accurate, I'm not.

I have two of the older M&P's one is a full size the other is the "C". The full size is a very nice shooter the 9C I am still fighting. But you are correct the more you play with them and work them the better they get.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Apex parts aren't necessary. It's just that those of us who cut our teeth on Glocks came to prefer a certain kind of feel. A box stock M&P will run just fine.

Yes true. And they just fixed their sear to look just like the apex. Glocks and BTF, still a no-go for ol one eye here.

Top Bottom