• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I went with the G19 & 26 but if I had to choose something else I would go with the m&p9c. I love the ergos and point of aim. Probably would put the apex in it. I did like the XDm, how it shoots but dont like the grip safety

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    My CC pistol is the Sig P938... I love this thing! It shoots slightly to the left for me, but that can be fixed, great night sights, true SAO trigger (heavy, but breaks very very cleanly), very small and thin, yet very comfortable in the hand. would be perfect for CC since you said you prefer that.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Any good recommendations on a SA ONLY defensive handgun?

Carefull though, thats a whole other addition in and of itself.

Of your 9mm choices I will through my hat in the ring for a Sig.

The compact version of the P226 is not the P228 anymore as the P228 is no longer in mass production. I think they still make them for use by the US military but Idk. Now the P229 is the compact line of Sigs, or P239 if you want a Single stack.

You can find a good deal on used Sigs usually police trade-ins for about 4-500 bucks.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I've owned both, here is a review I did on the PPQ (pardon the 'ums' and 'uhs')

I liked it quite a bit, and will always be a sucker for Walthers. That said, I now daily carry an M&P9c. I had one or two hiccups later on with the PPQ that irked me, things like the slide quit locking back on the final round (no limpwrist).

The M&P (in my opinion) encompassed the reassuring reliability of any Glock I've owned, with the shooting comfort of the PPQ/P99. It's been the piece I've carried the longest, and will continue to recommend until I find something better in that price range.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    They will, but unless a lot has changed, you won't find most of the guns on your list in that store, for rent OR for sale. However, If you want to meet me, I could let you shoot a G19, a Sig2022 and a Sig228. :D

Check your facts itp has 53 rental guns including a m&p and a xdm but not sure on the Sig or the walther. And with the exception of the 226 or 228 all are in stock

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've shot the m&p9 & xdm9. both were identical in performance for me. I own the m&p because it was more comfortable grip. I did add an apex trigger on the m&p. Have about 600-700 flawless rounds through it.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Glock, M&P, XDm are all good choices. Polymer saves on weight for every day carry, and they offer a wide variety of barrel and grip lengths. I would handle and shoot all 3 if possible and pick the one that is most comfortable.

Interesting side note: I read a small part of the book on the Glock and Gaston Glock actually did research and found that the police and military had more accidents with pistols with frame mounted safetys. That was why he ultimatley decided to remove it from the gun and add the trigger safety. No forgetting if the safety was on or off in a high stress situation.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Check your facts itp has 53 rental guns including a m&p and a xdm but not sure on the Sig or the walther. And with the exception of the 226 or 228 all are in stock

A) your post doesn't even make sense. B) I also said, unless things have changed. C) my point was also that even if they had them in rentals they more than likely don't have the gun in stock. RARELY have they ever had more than a few Glocks in stock. I don't think I have ever seen an XDm there and rarely an M&P.

I stand by my statements.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    +1 to this. The fact that M&P has S&W before it is one of the reasons it made my shortlist.

I had a recent incident with my M&P and it earned my loyalty to the brand. I was shooting IDPA and thought I had a failure to fire; I had recently ran across a batch of bad primers and thought that is why the gun didn't go 'bang'. So I tap-rack what I thought was a bad round and then continue on with the course of fire. It turned out it was a squib, barely making it to the end of the muzzle. I pulled the trigger again and shot the squib out of the barrel, big cloud of smoke and it was locked up tighter than a drum. But, the gun held together despite that type of incident; most guns that you do that to are ripped apart but the Smith held together. Worst I had was a small blister on the palm of my hand and a bit of hurt pride.

I sheepishly called Smith and they told me to send it in. 3 weeks later the same frame shows back up to my door with a new slide, barrel and guide rod and it looks as good as new. Not too sure of many places that would do that and not too sure if my Glocks would have held together due to the different type of rifling. At any rate, both God and Smith were smiling on me and because of the build quality and their willingness to stand by their product, no matter what happened, I'm now an even bigger fan of the M&P.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    A) your post doesn't even make sense. B) I also said, unless things have changed. C) my point was also that even if they had them in rentals they more than likely don't have the gun in stock. RARELY have they ever had more than a few Glocks in stock. I don't think I have ever seen an XDm there and rarely an M&P.

I stand by my statements.
    last week they had the xdm in 9, 40, and 45, several m&ps, Plenty of sigs but no 226 or 228, the walther ppq in 9 and 40, and about 10-15 glocks.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Glock 19/23 - Overall a very versatile gun. Small enough to carry, big enough to shoot. They are ugly, soul less chunks of plastic. Ultra reliable and easy to teach people to shoot. People complain about the grip angle since it makes you push your wrist forward. This and the lower bore axis I find actually helps with recoil. I understand people not wanting the drink the kool-aid, but they are a tool that does the job well. The Glock is my choice for carry and would be my first choice for a working gun.

I will let the M&P or XD guys talk about their guns in more detail. Quick opinion:

I like the M&P. Feels great in the hand. If I did not already own Glocks I would probably jump on the M&P bandwagon.

I agree with this. Don't count out the Glock 19 or 26 just because all your friends have them.

I have shot and carried Glocks for many years. My first was a Glock 21 (which I just sold off a bit back after 20 years to obtain a Glock 23), I also have a 30, 27, and a 23.

I have purchased other guns, but for the most part, turned them over and have always kept and carried the Glocks.

Glocks are very good guns and a good platform to choose, as you can share holsters/mags between the various compacts/subcompacts/full size models/calibers.

I carry either the 27 or the 23 daily. These are comparable to the Glock 26 and 19 that you would be looking at for 9mm.

Glocks are also very simple, requiring only a punch to detail strip the gun. Magazines, parts and armorers are everywhere for them.

You can also pick up conversion kits to shoot 22LR out of them.

I did recently pick up an S&W M&P9C to see what all the fuss was about as Palmetto State Armory had them very cheap recently.

Being an avid Glock shooter, after a few trips to the range, I had to have a RAM kit installed to be able to have some tactile/audible trigger reset on the M&P. The M&P seems like a fine gun, but I'm just not quite ready to switch to carrying it at this point (that could change at some future point), but I also would have no issues recommending one to a new shooter.

...but I don't like Double-action/single-action guns unless all my guns were that way. it is hard to become proficient with some trigger types and moving back and forth from a DA/SA gun can give you fits because of that difference in trigger pull weight.

I agree. Pick a platform and stick with it. Things are much easier when muscle memory is trained to one platform. I don't have to think about if I am carrying my Glock 23 or 27. They both work the same way. And as mentioned, I carry Glock 23 mags as reloads for my Glock 27, and I can carry them in the same holster, so everything is as much the same as I can get it between carrying guns of 2 different sizes.

If you are going with the M&P for carry, get the compact or shield, not the FS. There are people who carry the FS just fine, but I think it is just a little too large for carry. I consider the Glock 19 about as big of a pistol as I would want to carry, which is why I like it. The M&P 9c is an awesome gun, it is very similar to the Glock 19 in size, weight, capacity.

EDIT: As for the comment about jumping on the Glock bandwagon, I agree that if that would be your sole reason for getting a Glock, you shouldn't. I don't carry a Glock 19 because I'm a Glock fanboy, I carry it because I believe it to be the best option for me as a primary carry as it has the best size/weight/capacity ratio with Glock's simple but reliable design. I guess I don't understand you eliminating the 19 from your list just because you don't want to be perceived as jumping on the bandwagon. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't, but I would say make your decisions based on your own preferences not what someone on or off the internet tells you or thinks of you because of the decision you made.

I concur with these statements as well.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I sold a Glock to get a S&W M&P9c.

I could shoot the heck outta it. But had lots of problems with jamming, FTF and FTE, and the sights kept drifting.

I sold it, and continue to carry and rely on my flawless Glock 19 and Glock 26.

I'd let you shoot both of them if you want.

The M&P left a sour taste in my mouth, but I'd like to try it again. But you still can't beat a Glock 19.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I agree. Pick a platform and stick with it. Things are much easier when muscle memory is trained to one platform. I don't have to think about if I am carrying my Glock 23 or 27. They both work the same way. And as mentioned, I carry Glock 23 mags as reloads for my Glock 27, and I can carry them in the same holster, so everything is as much the same as I can get it between carrying guns of 2 different sizes.

I think this may be as much of Glock's legacy as the high-capacity polymer 9mm is. All the synergy inside one particular brand of gun. From the smallest 9mm compact to the largest full-size .45 and everything in between, your guns are nearly identical. My Raven Phantom for my G21 will easily fit all of my other Glocks and the same is with the Glock Sport/Combat holster (which is a fantastic holster BTW. not to thread-jack, but if you are looking for a great holster and own a Glock, you need to get a S/C holster...and then a Raven Phantom :D ) and the same is with my holsters for the M&Ps...I don't have to change anything but the mag pouches when I move from a different caliber or size M&P either.

It is hard to do but sometimes you have to think about being a shooter first and then a collector. I plan to have Beretta's and HKs and some SIGS in the safe one of these days but I don't quite have the coin to buy my regular stuff and safe queens at the same time! :( With Glock, the M&P and the XDm you can get all manner of popular and available calibers in several different sizes and you aren't relearning much if anything at all when you move from your carry 9mm to your big fun .45. I think that is where the Glock, Smith and Springfield have it over the SIG and Walther. :twocents:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I can definitely see myself getting another M&P 9c some time down the road, it is just a great gun.

As for the Shield, I have only put 70 rounds through my new Shield 9mm so far but I'm blown away by how easy and accurately it shoots for such a small pistol.

If I do get another 9c, I'm going to wait for S&W to make it come stock with the same trigger as the Shield, because it is a good trigger.

Top Bottom