• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    All good choices. Wish I could say I own them all. I do have a P99 (similar to the PPQ), a Glock 23, & Sig P226. All are chambered for .40 S&W so pretty easy to draw a comparison. I have shoot the M&P and XDm as well.

Walther P99 - Very accurate! Excellent styling, cool "Walther factor". Good contruction. Mine has the anti-stress trigger which I like a lot. I think the PPQ is more like a Glock. Bore axis is high so the gun tends to torque in the hand. Some complain the trigger will pinch the finger. Holsters are hard to find and mags cost twice as much.

Sig P226 - Nice single action trigger. The grip is big for me and the gun is heavy. Mine is older. The newer models with the E2 grips seem to fit me better. Heavy gun translates into low recoil. Most of these are double action for the first shoot and then single action afterwards (Unless you get a DAK model). I feel it is too big for CC but serves well as a home defense gun. Keep it clean or it will lay down on you.

Glock 19/23 - Overall a very versatile gun. Small enough to carry, big enough to shoot. They are ugly, soul less chunks of plastic. Ultra reliable and easy to teach people to shoot. People complain about the grip angle since it makes you push your wrist forward. This and the lower bore axis I find actually helps with recoil. I understand people not wanting the drink the kool-aid, but they are a tool that does the job well. The Glock is my choice for carry adn would be my first choice for a working gun.

I will let the M&P or XD guys talk about their guns in more detail. Quick opinion:

I like the M&P. Feels great in the hand. If I did not already own Glocks I would probably jump on the M&P bandwagon.

I like the slim grip and trigger of the XDm. I also like the higher capacity. But I don't care for the grip safety and blockiness of the slide.

Thanks for the info! Now I do have a quesion about safety. I know that Glocks don't have a mechanical safety, but what about the others? I live with my parents and my 20yo sister and we don't have any kids, but we do have nieces and nephews and some young cousins who come to visit fairly often, and I'd like that extra layer of protection if Heaven forbid they found my guns and somewho managed to actually get to them.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've shot or owned them all and there is enough differences in them that it might make or break you. I like SIG pistols a lot, but I don't like Double-action/single-action guns unless all my guns were that way. it is hard to become proficient with some trigger types and moving back and forth from a DA/SA gun can give you fits because of that difference in trigger pull weight. The slide-release for the SIG is at the same time in the best place and the worst. Best since it is so close to your thumb but worst because it is very easy to rest your thumb over it and the slide will then never lock back on an empty mag because you are holding the lock down.

The Springfield is a very nice gun but I felt they were too top heavy but that was just my impression. The Walther is another good gun but just never warmed to it. I've shot a lot of Glocks and other guns, and while I am still a huge Glock fan, the M&P has really won me over. I can't really find much fault in the gun; I do think some people make a bit too much of the Smith's trigger, I personally like the stock M&P trigger just fine. I use a stock M&P 45 in IDPA and also the M&P9 Pro will make a match every now and again. Great shooting and great feeling guns, very well built, and they are rugged and reliable like a Glock, but are different enough to be their own gun with a few pluses over the Glock.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Thanks for the info! Now I do have a quesion about safety. I know that Glocks don't have a mechanical safety, but what about the others? I live with my parents and my 20yo sister and we don't have any kids, but we do have nieces and nephews and some young cousins who come to visit fairly often, and I'd like that extra layer of protection if Heaven forbid they found my guns and somewho managed to actually get to them.
    Glocks DO have a mechanical safety, multiple in fact. What you're saying is they don't have a frame mounted safety. They have to have a trigger pulled in order to fire. Simple as that. If you have little ones in the house and you're not carrying the gun at the time, it should be locked in a manner that they cannot get to it. If this means unloading it and putting a cable lock through it then so be it. Myself, I use a safe, that way I can leave them in whatever condition I want.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I don't like Double-action/single-action guns unless all my guns were that
    way. it is hard to become proficient with some trigger types and moving back and
    forth from a DA/SA gun can give you fits because of that difference in trigger
    pull weight.

My Taurus 24/7 is set up the same way, and so far that's my only real complaint about it. I don't like shooting single action and then suddenly having a longer trigger pull every time I reload.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Glocks DO have a mechanical safety, multiple in fact. What you're saying is they don't have a frame mounted safety. They have to have a trigger pulled in order to fire. Simple as that. If you have little ones in the house and you're not carrying the gun at the time, it should be locked in a manner that they cannot get to it. If this means unloading it and putting a cable lock through it then so be it. Myself, I use a safe, that way I can leave them in whatever condition I want.

At the moment I do not have a safe or lock box unfortunately, but it is the first thing on my list the next time I get my paycheck. My issue with "frame mounted safety" is basically my Dad rubbing off on me. He's not really a gun owner but he's always been a safety nut and its rubbed off on me I guess.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    PPQ mags are not any more expensive than other guns, unless you feel you must buy their factory mags. I got extra mags for my PPQ for $25 each. You see, they take the same magazines as the Baby Eagle. Sothe Magnum Research mags work perfectly, and are inexpensive.
    Thanks for the info! I didn't know Baby Eagle mags would work.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    At the moment I do not have a safe or lock box unfortunately, but it is the first thing on my list the next time I get my paycheck. My issue with "frame mounted safety" is basically my Dad rubbing off on me. He's not really a gun owner but he's always been a safety nut and its rubbed off on me I guess.
    Honestly, if you're carrying appropriately, it's just one more step you can screw up during a life or death situation. Keep it simple, stupid! :D

If your gun is in its holster and not out for show and tell then why do you need a safety on a striker fire pistol? If you're drawing your gun, it's because you feel your life is in danger and you may need to use it PDQ.

Follow the 4 rules of firearm safety and you will be fine.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Great question and I am glad you are considering this. Remember that safeties are not a replacement for safe gun handling, but you know that already.

First off buy a small gun safe. I purchaed a gun vault 300 from Bradis for $30. It has a 3 digit combanation lock and a steel cable that can be used to secure it to a bed or the seat of your car. If the gun is not on your person then it should be in the safe.

Second be sure to buy a proper belt and good holster. Guns like holsters, they are safe in a holster.

Glock 19 - no manual safety. There is a safety on the trigger that is disengaged when you pull it properly.

XDm - Grip safety. I would expect this would make it hard for a small child to discharge the gun as you have to be able to grip the gun properly and pull the trigger.

M&P - Can be purchased with or without and external safety.

P99 - Mine is DA/SA. No external safety. But it takes quite a bit to pull the trigger for the first time.

PPQ - Not 100% sure. I think it is similar to the Glock

Sig P226 - DA/SA. No external safety. A small child would have a difficult time pulling the trigger.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    My Taurus 24/7 is set up the same way, and so far that's my only real complaint about it. I don't like shooting single action and then suddenly having a longer trigger pull every time I reload.

I had a CZ75 BD and would still have it to this day if it weren't for the DA/SA trigger. At the time I was really shooting Glocks almost exclusively and switching back and forth between my Glocks and those guns that didn't have a constant-weight trigger pull would see me having that 2nd shot from the DA/SA guns be very unpredictable at best. I felt that if I really wanted to be a better shooter I had to try and standardize my guns where as many important features were as similar as possible. That way, no matter what gun I picked up, it wouldnt be that radical of a change. I didn't want to spend most of my time relearning the triggers on my gun so I felt that sticking with the Glock and other similar gins like the M&P would be better for me.

Now if I were to change and go exclusively DA/SA, that would work, too! SIG, CZ'S, Beretta, H&K...lots of great choices there, too. It isn't at I won't ever own a double-single, but I won't compete or carry one unless that is the only style that I'll carry or compete with.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    HAHAHAHA!!!! Is that trademarked or can I use that the next time I'm in an arguement?

K.I.S.S. method. Keep It Simple Stupid. Yep it is up for grabs. :yesway:

For what it is worth I have a lot of DA/SA handguns. I prefer guns that have the same trigger pull everytime. Also I don't care for safeties on defensive guns.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    K.I.S.S. method. Keep It Simple Stupid. Yep it is up for grabs. :yesway:

For what it is worth I have a lot of DA/SA handguns. I prefer guns that have the same trigger pull everytime. Also I don't care for safeties on defensive guns.

Any good recommendations on a SA ONLY defensive handgun?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Well by that I assume you mean a gun that the trigger pull is the same everytime. From your list that would be the Glock, M&P, & XDm. All good choices.

Some people will argue about the terminology or SA vs DA as it applies to the striker fired guns. To be honest they are sort of a class onto themselves.

Edit: I think the PPQ would fit that criteria as well. I have a P99 which is slightly different.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Well by that I assume you mean a gun that the trigger pull is the same everytime. From your list that would be the Glock, M&P, & XDm. All good choices.

Some people will argue about the terminology or SA vs DA as it applies to the striker fired guns. To be honest they are sort of a class onto themselves.

Edit: I think the PPQ would fit that criteria as well. I have a P99 which is slightly different.

Yes Sir that's exactly what I mean!

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    In one of your previous posts, the PPQ received rave reviews by many people. Don't count the Walther out. Ergonomics and trigger more than make up for the price difference from others you have listed.
    IMHO, it's the finest carry/combat pistol on the market.
    Good luck in your search.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Good luck finding a PPQ 9mm. I would pick that up if you can find one. I have only seen a 9mm once. Most places have the 40.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Well for carry purposes I would take the P226 off the list right away. I'm sure someone is going to disagree with me on this, but I have owned a 226 and while it is a very nice gun, it is way to big and heavy for serious CC in my opinion.

As for the XDm, I have never fallen in love with any of the Springfield pistols, I got the FS XDm when it came out, and I had also had the regular XD, and XD subcompact. They are good guns but I don't care for grip safeties and I never shot them quite as well as other guns like my M&P's.

If you are going with the M&P for carry, get the compact or shield, not the FS. There are people who carry the FS just fine, but I think it is just a little too large for carry. I consider the Glock 19 about as big of a pistol as I would want to carry, which is why I like it. The M&P 9c is an awesome gun, it is very similar to the Glock 19 in size, weight, capacity. It was my EDC for over a year before I switched back to Glock. With the exception of the Glock 19, I believe the M&P 9c, Shield, and the Ruger SR9c are some of the best carry options out there. The 9c is so easy to carry and shoots incredibly well. I just picked up my Shield so I can't talk to how it shoots yet because I haven't got it to the range yet.

The PPQ is the pistol at the top of my handgun wish list right now, looks carryable as it's only slightly larger than my Glock 19. I had a P99 for years and loved it so I think I will like the PPQ quite a bit, as it seems to have improved on that design.

EDIT: As for the comment about jumping on the Glock bandwagon, I agree that if that would be your sole reason for getting a Glock, you shouldn't. I don't carry a Glock 19 because I'm a Glock fanboy, I carry it because I believe it to be the best option for me as a primary carry as it has the best size/weight/capacity ratio with Glock's simple but reliable design. I guess I don't understand you eliminating the 19 from your list just because you don't want to be perceived as jumping on the bandwagon. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't, but I would say make your decisions based on your own preferences not what someone on or off the internet tells you or thinks of you because of the decision you made.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I loved my P99 but didn't ever carry it. I had always carried my Steyr. But after selling the P99 and getting a PPQ my EDC gun has switched to the PPQ. Mainly due to the great Safariland ALS holster. My Steyr belt loop style holsters are slower to get on & off my belt. The Safariland is the first paddle style holster that feels secure enough on my waist to OC & not just CC.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

1911. It's single action, and it's got thumb safety. The trigger is generally better than most DAO pistols. Its all metal construction means more manageable recoil. It's more a push rather than a snap. As someone on this forum has said, shooting a 1911 is like dancing with a woman (or with a man, depending on the reader's preference). By contrast, Glocks, XDs, and M&Ps have more of a snap (to me anyway). The 1911 shoots .45 ACP, which makes bigger holes than 9mm. It's also prettier than most guns out there except for the Beretta 92 & Browning Hi-Power.

Downside? It's more expensive if you want quality, and it's heavier. Low capacity (for today anyway -- 8-10 rounds). You can almost get two XDs for the price of one good 1911, but the 1911 isn't necessarily "twice as good." The ammo is more expensive, too. You'd want to be careful in picking JHP ammo, since some 1911s have problem with non-ball ammo.

At the end, most modern guns will work for you if you do your part. It's down to your budget and your preferences.

Top Bottom