• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    As some of you know, I'm looking for a good 9mm as my carry piece, and I've narrowed it down to several potential firearms. The Glock 19 was my first choice but I've taken it off my list. Not to insult Glock or fans of Glock, but I don't want to "jump on the bandwagon" and go out and buy a Glock because all my buddies have one and everyone says good things about it.

That being said, the main guns I'm looking at are the S&W M&P, Walther PPQ, Springfield XDm, and either the Sig SP2022 or the Sig P226. Do any of you INGOers have an opinion on any one of these firearms?

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    The PPQ is a sweet shooter. That said, I traded mine yesterday. Mags are extremely expensive!
    I have shot the XDm's and they are ok. I don't care for the trigger on an M&P.
    Sig 226 is freakin sweet! Try one and you will love it!

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    While I think not buying the G19 because it's "jumping on the bandwagon" is the worst logic I have ever heard, of your remaining choices I would recommend the Sig SP2022 to everyone I have ever met.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    About how much do those run usually?
    About $400 new.

Sig does make a smaller 226, which is the 228/229 and they are also great guns. IMO one of the best CC guns of all time is the Sig p239. Which is like a 228/9/6, but it's single stack. It can be had for around $700.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I love the XDM's. I have shot M&P's and Glocks and the XDM simply feels better to me. Guns are a personal preference so I would definitely manhandle and if possible shot some different ones before you buy.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Personally I prefer CC over OC, but I don't want to get into that. Do they make a compact version of the 226?

Indeed. It's called the P228, and I think it's one of the sweetest shooting 9mm pistols ever made.

The SIG SP2022 is a different class of gun to the P226/P228, but those who have them generally regard them very highly. They also seem to be obtainable at a substantial discount to similar weapons.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I don't necessarily want to buy anything from ITP, but my understanding is that they'll allow you to "rent" one of their guns.
    They will, but unless a lot has changed, you won't find most of the guns on your list in that store, for rent OR for sale. However, If you want to meet me, I could let you shoot a G19, a Sig2022 and a Sig228. :D

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Like others have said, you can read reviews and watch youtube videos on the various guns all day but for personal protection in a handgun you have to get a hands on feel of each one. For the money a second hand glock would fit your bill perfectly, but then again you might want a manual safety or you might not like the grip angle or the trigger pull, or in some cases the name brand of a gun. So try before you buy is the best advice I can think of for a gun used for protection.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The PPQ is a sweet shooter. That said, I traded mine yesterday. Mags are extremely expensive!
    I have shot the XDm's and they are ok. I don't care for the trigger on an M&P.
    Sig 226 is freakin sweet! Try one and you will love it!

PPQ mags are not any more expensive than other guns, unless you feel you must buy their factory mags. I got extra mags for my PPQ for $25 each. You see, they take the same magazines as the Baby Eagle. Sothe Magnum Research mags work perfectly, and are inexpensive.

I've shot my M&P and PPQ side by side a few times (over 1,000 rounds between them), and they are my ultimate favorite pistols now. These are the two pistols I ALWAYS take to the range. They are both extremely accurate in my hands, with neither having an advantage over the other on this most important characteristic. They both have excellent low recoil, and are light. They both function flawlessly. M&P is cheaper and hold 17 vs 15 rounds though, so advantage M&P on that point. One advantage with the PPQ is that it is clearly a more engineered gun, whereas the M&P design is very basic, but you pay over a hundred more for the PPQ, so it is kind of a draw there too, plus basic is sometimes an advantage. Sights seem to be difficult to replace on the PPQ, and not on the M&P. Oh, and the PPQ has "combat sights", meaning there is more space between rear sights, which I don't like as much as regular ones, but they certainly haven't hurt my accuracy. Trigger on PPQ is a clear advantage, but I think M&P's trigger is more than acceptable (otherwise I wouldn't be as accurate with the M&P). Both have beautiful melonite/tenifer finishes, which is top notch. My opinion is that it is best to have both, but I'd get the M&P first, because it is less expensive. The PPQ is really a sexy and exotic gun, whereas the M&P is more practical.

I've never shot a 226, but I know one costs the price of the M&P and PPQ combined, so I don't plan on getting one, because they do not outperform these other guns in any category that I'm aware of.

I would suggest you add the CZ-75B/Shadow to your short list. I've heard many good things about them, and they are about as much as a PPQ I think. Recoil is supposed to be amazing, since the slide fits inside the frame. Very cool design, and original. CZ will be my next pistol purchase for sure.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I've never shot a 226, but I know one costs the price of the M&P and PPQ combined, so I don't plan on getting one, because they do not outperform these other guns in any category that I'm aware of.
    :scratch:

Maybe if you buy the M&P and PPQ used and the 226 from Don's NIB.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    All good choices. Wish I could say I own them all. I do have a P99 (similar to the PPQ), a Glock 23, & Sig P226. All are chambered for .40 S&W so pretty easy to draw a comparison. I have shoot the M&P and XDm as well.

Walther P99 - Very accurate! Excellent styling, cool "Walther factor". Good contruction. Mine has the anti-stress trigger which I like a lot. I think the PPQ is more like a Glock. Bore axis is high so the gun tends to torque in the hand. Some complain the trigger will pinch the finger. Holsters are hard to find and mags cost twice as much.

Sig P226 - Nice single action trigger. The grip is big for me and the gun is heavy. Mine is older. The newer models with the E2 grips seem to fit me better. Heavy gun translates into low recoil. Most of these are double action for the first shoot and then single action afterwards (Unless you get a DAK model). I feel it is too big for CC but serves well as a home defense gun. Keep it clean or it will lay down on you.

Glock 19/23 - Overall a very versatile gun. Small enough to carry, big enough to shoot. They are ugly, soul less chunks of plastic. Ultra reliable and easy to teach people to shoot. People complain about the grip angle since it makes you push your wrist forward. This and the lower bore axis I find actually helps with recoil. I understand people not wanting the drink the kool-aid, but they are a tool that does the job well. The Glock is my choice for carry adn would be my first choice for a working gun.

I will let the M&P or XD guys talk about their guns in more detail. Quick opinion:

I like the M&P. Feels great in the hand. If I did not already own Glocks I would probably jump on the M&P bandwagon.

I like the slim grip and trigger of the XDm. I also like the higher capacity. But I don't care for the grip safety and blockiness of the slide.

Top Bottom