• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I don't like grip safeties for the reasons OneBadV8 mentioned. A good course in close-quarters gunfighting will quickly show their weakness. Therefore I'm not a fan of XDs.

So go M&P. (or Glock)

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Think self-defense, bad guy is on top of you and you're only option is to push the gun into him. You'll have to hold the slide in battery. And with an XD, you won't be able to pull the trigger.

Yes you could if you stuck it to his chest and pulled the trigger (as you say), if not, you'd be SOL for sure.

:D

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    for what its worth, i have an m&p 40 vtac and love it. That being said, i shot my brothers xdm 40. I did think it was a bit smoother with less kick. We ran about 200 rounds through each and the xdm felt better to me. I'm a big guy that works out and i like the xdm better over the course of the day. In fact, i'm getting ready to purchase the xdm 5inch 9mm specifically for target shooting. Hope that helps

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Think self-defense, bad guy is on top of you and you're only option is to push the gun into him. You'll have to hold the slide in battery. And with an XD, you won't be able to pull the trigger.

The way the guide rod on the XD is set up, it will function as a standoff device and will not allow the slide to be pushed out of battery in that situation. Further, the XD is a single-action pistol with a short, light trigger. Taping the grip safety and stuffing it in your trousers is how people wind up with racing stripes.

Anyhow, all that being said, I'd climb over a pile of XD's to get to an M&P.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The way the guide rod on the XD is set up, it will function as a standoff device and will not allow the slide to be pushed out of battery in that situation.

Even on a soft squishy human? I gotta test this. . . . . anyone wanna loan me an XD?

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was worried about the grip safety of the XD but I have to say being a traditional "glock guy" I have had no problem adapting. I think the trigger is terrific, love the way it feels in my hand, love the extras it comes with, and love the 19 capacity of my XDm 9mm. I'm about the get some night sights but haven't decided what I'll get yet. :twocents:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'll use a knife in that situation and keep training with my gun for more practical and likely scenarios.

I suppose I could come up with a scenario where the BG grabs my gun at an odd angle and attempts to fire on me, but can't because he's not depressing the safety, thus saving my life. :cool:

taken any force on force training?

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'm looking at a full size 40. I've handled the MP and XD. Both feel good. The XD feels a bit better but the only thing im not sure I like is having to engage the grip safety to work the slide. Anybody have any suggestions?

It says your location is Northern Indiana if it's not too far come on down to Kodiak we have Xd's, XDM's, M&P's and Glocks and you can try them all for one price and decide for yourself.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    It says your location is Northern Indiana if it's not too far come on down to Kodiak we have Xd's, XDM's, M&P's and Glocks and you can try them all for one price and decide for yourself.

I would recommend this ^^^^.
    I am having 'issues' with accuracy on my 2 M&P's (9 & 45) at 25yds. (They shoot great up to 15 yards)
    Today I borrowed a friends XDM to compare. NO ISSUES on accuracy with the xdm.
    What I do not like, is the mag release button seems really tight/difficult to push. Aside from that, It shoots better than my M&P's.
    I do however, really like the feel, operation, serrations, etc on the M&P's... but the reality for me is, if they're not accurate, then I'm going to have to find another pistol.:dunno:

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    xd(m) beats M&P
    :rockwoot:
    I'm short for a guy and have an xd(m). My friend is tall and has an M&P. We both shoot my xd(m) better. Two very different body types, one result.

As an aside, it cracks me up how some folks can conjure up the most unlikely scenario and then beat it to death.:popcorn:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    WSKdtFQ.png

Yeah. This was my first thread. I bought the XDm 5.25 in 9mm.

I'm not sure why I stated in the first post that I wanted a 40. Noob mistake.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

This is exactly what I did. Rented all three and picked the XDm.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I would recommend this ^^^^.
    I am having 'issues' with accuracy on my 2 M&P's (9 & 45) at 25yds. (They shoot great up to 15 yards)
    Today I borrowed a friends XDM to compare. NO ISSUES on accuracy with the xdm.
    What I do not like, is the mag release button seems really tight/difficult to push. Aside from that, It shoots better than my M&P's.
    I do however, really like the feel, operation, serrations, etc on the M&P's... but the reality for me is, if they're not accurate, then I'm going to have to find another pistol.:dunno:

Robby if you would please I have a question for you concerning your M&P accuracy issues. I am a new owner of a used but in excellent condition 4.25" M&P Pro 9mm and did you ever determine the cause of your two M&P's accuracy issues and also have you found any evidence that would lead you to believe it is a common problem. If you are having accuracy issues with M&Ps in to different calibers I would think this could indicate your accuracy problem may not be a isolated incident. I mean what are the odds you could buy a gun in two different calibers and both have accuracy issues? One would have to think they are quite high unless its more widely spread.

I ask because its going to be some time before I achieve the level of ability before I can honestly evaluate my M&P's accuracy or (I certainly hope not) lack there of at 25 yards. Right now I'm having to work to keep my groups at 3" or less at 15 yards, haven't even tried 25. Speaking of which what size groups were you getting at both 15 and 25 yards with both your M&Ps, if you don't mind sharing. Thanks,
    Arthur.

Top Bottom