• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm looking at a full size 40. I've handled the MP and XD. Both feel good. The XD feels a bit better but the only thing im not sure I like is having to engage the grip safety to work the slide. Anybody have any suggestions?

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have shot both of them and my personal preference is the XDM. I do not even notice the grip safety when I am shooting. If you grip the pistol properly it will never be an issue.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    My preference is the XDm, and I actually like the grip safety. Both have available drop-in trigger kits to clean them up. My suggestion is buy whichever one feels better to your hand.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    I have shot both, i prefer the M&P. A really close friend of mine has shot both and prefers the XD. shoot both, whatever you like best, buy that one.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I'm looking at a full size 40. I've handled the MP and XD. Both feel good. The XD feels a bit better but the only thing im not sure I like is having to engage the grip safety to work the slide. Anybody have any suggestions?

Go with what feels better. Comfort in hand goes a long way to a happy relationship. Personally I didn't like the trigger on the M&P or xd(m), but that can always be changed. I went with the xd(m). I'm not even consciously aware of needing to engage the grip safety to rack the slide. It's a non-issue.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You should shoot both of them first before deciding.

I don't like grip safeties, and if I had an XD I'd have to tape it down or put a slip on Hogue grip to hold it down. If you were ever in a defensive situation where you had to hold the slide forward to keep it in battery with one hand the XD wouldn't work, because you can't engage the grip safety. That might not be an issue for you though.

Shollz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I am having the same dilemma. Trying to decide between the XDM 525 and the MP9 Pro. I really wish I could shoot both.

Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    bought both and the M&P shoots and feels better to me. so much so it became my carry piece. no complaints about either one

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You should shoot both of them first before deciding.

I don't like grip safeties, and if I had an XD I'd have to tape it down or put a slip on Hogue grip to hold it down. If you were ever in a defensive situation where you had to hold the slide forward to keep it in battery with one hand the XD wouldn't work, because you can't engage the grip safety. That might not be an issue for you though.

What? :dunno:

How exactly do you fire a gun? Me, one hand is wrapped around the grips, with my index finger on the trigger. It's almost impossible to fire properly without depressing the safety. How would you squeeze the trigger without your palm behind the grips? Would the recoil blow the gun out of you hand?

And what's it matter where your other hand is? And I'm struggling to understand how you would need to hold the slide in battery?

One more thing, Did Springfield change something on the XDm that requires operation of the safety to unlock the slide? My XD requires the safety to be depressed to pull the trigger only. The slide is not connected to the safety.

EDIT: I read both manuals and they state the grip safety must be depressed to operate the slide. Well, I stand corrected. But, thinking about it, my XD45 has a really stiff spring and I don't think I could safely operate the slide without a firm grip on the grip.

To the OP: Buy what feels good and don't worry about the safeties.

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    What? :dunno:

How exactly do you fire a gun? Me, one hand is wrapped around the grips, with my index finger on the trigger. It's almost impossible to fire properly without depressing the safety. How would you squeeze the trigger without your palm behind the grips? Would the recoil blow the gun out of you hand?

And what's it matter where your other hand is? And I'm struggling to understand how you would need to hold the slide in battery?

One more thing, Did Springfield change something on the XDm that requires operation of the safety to unlock the slide? My XD requires the safety to be depressed to pull the trigger only. The slide is not connected to the safety.

EDIT: I read both manuals and they state the grip safety must be depressed to operate the slide. Well, I stand corrected. But, thinking about it, my XD45 has a really stiff spring and I don't think I could safely operate the slide without a firm grip on the grip.

To the OP: Buy what feels good and don't worry about the safeties.

Think self-defense, bad guy is on top of you and you're only option is to push the gun into him. You'll have to hold the slide in battery. And with an XD, you won't be able to pull the trigger.

It's a very very unlikely scenario. But if I ever happen to find myself in that scenario, I'd like to have gear that will function when I need it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Think self-defense, bad guy is on top of you and you're only option is to push the gun into him. You'll have to hold the slide in battery. And with an XD, you won't be able to pull the trigger.

It's a very very unlikely scenario. But if I ever happen to find myself in that scenario, I'd like to have gear that will function when I need it.

I'll use a knife in that situation and keep training with my gun for more practical and likely scenarios.

I suppose I could come up with a scenario where the BG grabs my gun at an odd angle and attempts to fire on me, but can't because he's not depressing the safety, thus saving my life. :cool:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'll use a knife in that situation and keep training with my gun for more practical and likely scenarios.

I suppose I could come up with a scenario where the BG grabs my gun at an odd angle and attempts to fire on me, but can't because he's not depressing the safety, thus saving my life. :cool:

What if you already had the gun in your hands? Are you just going to drop it and go for a knife allowing him to grab it? I said it was a very rare situation. I just think a grip safety or any safety for that matter is dumb. Practice safe gun handling and you'll never have a problem.

Anyway, not to de-rail the thread. OP, get whatever fits your criteria and is comfortable to shoot :yesway:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    My EDC is an XD45, my wife loves her XDm40. I am looking to pick up an M&P 9 in the future. Both good guns, have to pick which one fits better to you. if you still can't decide then flip a coin or buy both!

Top Bottom