• jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Immigration the core issue is...

Immigration is not an easy subject now-a-day in the USA. However while some think it has only now become a "hot" issue the immigration has been a "hot" issue since the birth of our nation. We live in a paradox in this country in regards to immigration. For every one of us have ancestors that immigrated to this country. Even the Native Americans "immigrated" to this land before there was a country here. As we all know the country was founded by immigrants. They are our biggest strength and weakness. Some have come by free will in search of a better place to live (early European pioneers and then the massive European migration of the early 19th century who were welcomed by Lady Liberty), others came by force (African and Caribbean slaves via the slave trade routes), some became citizens when the US expanded (native Hawaiians and northern Mexican territories (California, New Mexico, Nevada) and some petitioned to come into the Union (Texas).

Throughout each of these periods the issue of immigrants has been a hotly contested subject. European migration was divided by religious issues (Catholic vs Protestant) and neither group trusted the other. Each group blamed the other for coming to this country to "steal" the other's work and land. While the movie Gangs of New York may be a fiction work of art the underlining theme of immigration was not. That movie showed exactly what the issues of the time were. Each side looked (primarily white) and talked (primarily English) the same but had a difference in religion which caused the immigration issue of the day. Does this issue still exist today? Yes...

Yet without this wave of immigrants we would not have a lot of the things we have today; Automobiles by Ford, Airplanes by the Wright Brothers, etc..

Those that were brought here by force faced new immigration issues. Instead of religion however it was now a matter of color and education. Now instead of a catholic trying to steal our jobs a black uneducated man was. Just like the catholic before him we must keep him (the black man) in check. After all, the only thing he is good for is labor work out in the sun and trying to seduce our women. As the generations have passed and the uneducated became educated so too did the fear. Note that I say educated! You put a white woman in a room with an uneducated black man (dressed like a hoodlum) and that women will be nervous. You place that same black man in a doctor's/lawyer's suit and the women has a different view. Does this issue still exist today? Yes...

Yet without this wave of immigrants we would not have a lot of the things we have today; The light buld, refrigerated train cars making it possible to sell meat anywhere in the nation, etc..

Now how about those people from the South of us? They are brown not black like the others who came before them and worse they speak some other language (Spanish) and refuse to give it up. They are here to take out jobs I tell you! Hum.. does this not sound familiar to us? Have we not been through this before? Yes as a nation but NO as individuals (I doubt anyone reading this was around when the first wave of Irish immigrants came to the US or even when the slaves were brought into the country).

So what makes this next wave any different? Nothing you say? Incorrect. LAWS.
    You see when the European immigrants came they followed the LAW (at that time) of the USA. It was basically you arrive at New York with whatever you have and apply for citizenship. Simple right? That is all there was to it back then.

The blacks well they had a more difficult time since the LAWS were not in their favor for the most part. However, they fought and legally got the LAWS changed. Again the LAWs of the land were followed. They used the LEGAL SYSTEM and changed the politican landscape to change the LAWS.

Yet our friends from the SOUTH don't want to follow the LAWS. My parents did when they came from Mexico back in the 60s (for my dad) and 70s (for my mom). My grandmother saw that a better way of life could be had in America than in the Mexico and forced my grandfather and their only son (my father) to come to America to work in the steel mills. It took her 2 years to have all the paperwork done and for them to become US Citizens. And she only has a 3 grade education but she learned what it took to become a US citizen. Eventually my mom after marrying my dad also became a US Citizen. So how come some Mexicans and other Southern American people can and do follow the LAWS and yet we have others that do not?

I don't have a problem with immigrants, while I wsd born here my parents and grandparnets were immigrants. I say let them all come if they think they can make a better life for themselves here. However notice I said immigrants not ILLEGAL immigrants. I'm not hiding behind the LAW on this issue but here is why I don't like ILLEGAL immigrants.

Most immigrants are very grateful of being able to get a chance at making a better life for themselves in America. They come from nations where the freedoms we have are not even dreams their people have. They come to this country to better themselves and to ensure their children and their children's children have a bright future. In essence they are here for the long term (generations upon generations) and most are very loyal and patriot to their new country that welcomed them.

ILLEGAL immigrants are not thinking about America in terms of what they can contribute to America. They see the USA as a land of opportunity to earn a better wage then where they are and eventually go home. Take the migrant farm workers for example. S/He comes ILLEGAL to the USA to work seasonally in the fields and eventually goes back home when the season is up. How does this better America?
    Skip the fact that they broke the law by how they came. The fact of the matter is they don't plan on staying yet expect that while they are here to use our resources (food, water, education systems, healthcare systems, court systems) and while they may pay into these system (via an incorrect SSN) they are really "leachers".

Is this all their fault? No. The US Government really needs a comprehensive seasonal workers program for these type of people. A program that would allow these type of workers to pay into a system that would help benefit them while they are here and show them the benefit of actually staying and contributing to our great nation.

It's not what can this country do for me? It is what can I do for this country. Yet many ILLEGAL immigrants only look to see what they can get from us? Give to the country and in return she will protect you.

That I think is the core of the current immigrant issue. Immigrants that follow the LAWS of the US do so because they want to come to the USA and make a better life for themselves. They want that chance to succeed be it in owning a small taco stand on Main street, owning a chain of dry cleaning services, working for a major company or having a farm in the Dakotas free of worry that the Government Police will raid you in the middle of the night. All of themm just want a chance to be able to succeed and enjoy freedom.

ILLEGAL immigrants don't have this mindset. They look at our country as a land of opportunity for themselves. Why should the greengo have so much while I suffer over here? I want do have just as much as the greengo.

Do you see the difference? It's not about getting a chance to help improve yourself and by the same time improving the country as it is about ensuring I have the same stuff others have. It is THAT mentality that I hate and it is THAT menalty that I have seen, first hand, when I have interacted with ILLEGAL immigrants .

---
    On the Zapatistast movement. I will ne find you some "real" articles in SPANISH on this issue and not what the "english world" says about it. TJ I'm not sure if you read/understand Spanish based on your post I think you may. If so do you ever want the news in Spanish? They give a lot of more details in regards to this matter than what the Enlglish ones do.

The Meican Army did not beat them (by force). The farmers got what they wanted and thus no longer needed force. The Mexican government seeing it was going to take too much time, effort, and man-power agreed to sit down and talk to the farmers and give them what was rightfully theirs. Yes there are still many issues in that area but the revolt by the farmers caused the Mexican government to take heed and use diplomacy to settle the issues.

Top Bottom