• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Looks like the Indiana Constitution explicitly grants continuing residency to Lugar (and to all servicemen and women as well) on the basis of the section quoted above. As someone already posted, there are plenty of reasons to vote him out, we don't need to create one, especially under what appear to be false pretenses.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If residency is the question... Then no, it's not another matter entirely. (in my opinion)

-J-
    Sorry, I guess you are correct. I just couldn't wrap my head around putting serving military members and crooked politicians in the same boat. I guess they both are, supposedly, in service of the nation/state.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If you're going to make an issue of his residency, show how his NOT living here for more than 30 years makes him totally out of touch with the residents of Indiana and the issues affecting us. Not legal arguments that aren't going to go anywhere.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I care about the fact that he is out of touch. I care that he doesn't live here. I still want to know why he is using a IN DL with an address that he hasn't had since 1977. Anyone else did that and we would be charged with a crime. If he is a DC resident, why does he need an IN DL?

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    I'm sorry, there is a difference between being OUT OF STATE on state business, and NOT HAVING A VALID ADDRESS IN THE STATE.

Basically, it comes down to this. He may be "on Indiana business" -- but he's clearly not a legal resident of Indiana. THAT is the problem.

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    He did not break any laws. Get over that and move on to real issues. does Murdock have any good reasons to vote for him? I am still listening for him to make his case.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Lugar falsified his voter registration and driver license renewals. That's a separate issue from legal state of residence. in addition, Lugar is not merely absent from the state, he sold his home and moved away showing an intention to move his domicile. I think he's skating on legally thin ice.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    you guys just don't seem to understand what a devoted public servant we have in Little Dick Lugar. We should be honored to have someone with the integrity and honor of Arlen Specter working for us.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Lugar falsified his voter registration and driver license renewals. That's a separate issue from legal state of residence. in addition, Lugar is not merely absent from the state, he sold his home and moved away showing an intention to move his domicile. I think he's skating on legally thin ice.

Agreed. This is where the law and practicality collide.

The guy was voted to be Senator for 6 years. It's a full time, job that really doesn't pay terribly well, and definitely not 2 houses well. So, you sell your old house and buy a new one. What then? Are you precluded from running for re-election? No, but yes at the same time.

So, in order to please the people, we should require that senators and representatives own 2 homes?

It seems to me that the most amenable solution is to only convene congress for about 90 days max. If you can't get the work done in 90 days...oh well.

As Mitch said, you'd be surprised by the amount of government you won't miss.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

Absolutely agree up until you get to the thin ice part. You have to have someone with the political courage to confront him to create the thin ice. Who is that person?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Agreed. This is where the law and practicality collide.

The guy was voted to be Senator for 6 years. It's a full time, job that really doesn't pay terribly well, and definitely not 2 houses well. So, you sell your old house and buy a new one. What then? Are you precluded from running for re-election? No, but yes at the same time.

So, in order to please the people, we should require that senators and representatives own 2 homes?

It seems to me that the most amenable solution is to only convene congress for about 90 days max. If you can't get the work done in 90 days...oh well.

As Mitch said, you'd be surprised by the amount of government you won't miss.

Having Congress in session less would definitely be favorable to liberty, but that doesn't address Dick's excuses. All of the House members make the same $174,000 per year as Dick, not a king's ransom but nothing to sneeze at. All of them maintain Indiana residences and most are much less wealthy than Dickie boy. They spend longer in DC during the session than the Senate which usually has a shorter schedule. Most of them are not as addicted to Dick's DC lifestyle though. They are willing to have small apartments and some even sleep in their offices. Dick is claiming as his voting address a house he sold before I started high school, without the knowledge or permission of the current owners. At least Charlie White spent some time at the address he was claiming. I hope Mourdock's supporters push this. Tricky Dick has been pulling the wool over everyone's eyes in this state for too damn long.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Having Congress in session less would definitely be favorable to liberty, but that doesn't address Dick's excuses. All of the House members make the same $174,000 per year as Dick, not a king's ransom but nothing to sneeze at. All of them maintain Indiana residences and most are much less wealthy than Dickie boy. They spend longer in DC during the session than the Senate which usually has a shorter schedule. Most of them are not as addicted to Dick's DC lifestyle though. They are willing to have small apartments and some even sleep in their offices. Dick is claiming as his voting address a house he sold before I started high school, without the knowledge or permission of the current owners. At least Charlie White spent some time at the address he was claiming. I hope Mourdock's supporters push this. Tricky Dick has been pulling the wool over everyone's eyes in this state for too damn long.

Charlie White may be what brings Dickie boy home.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Dick is claiming as his voting address a house he sold before I started high school, without the knowledge or permission of the current owners.

Yeah, let's Charlie-White him!

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin

Yes, that is EXACTLY the point. Thank you.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Just saw this on channel 8 that the attorney general Greg Zoeller has determined that Dick Lugar's residency is "legally sound." I for one am not surprised. I guess it is time to vote this jerk out and see where he lives then. Anyone wnat to bet it is DC?

Top Bottom