• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Gotta consider the whole of the picture. Remember, the Constitution is the foundation for the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. It spell out what the Fed can and cannot do. And in the 10th Amendment reserves any unspecified rights to the people and the STATES. It was not written to limit or bind the states. They all have their own Constitutions.

The whole picture is that the 14th Amendment was ratified, and Lugar had no problem with "states' rights" when he voted for the AWB, nor did Lautenberg or any of the other anti-gunners he votes with and hangs around.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is a very interesting topic, but I am for the bill. I am also for states rights to have their own laws and regulations but when it comes to one of the fundamental rights given to use by the founding fathers I don't think its fair that I have to jump through tons of hops and pay out money to many states to be covered across the country and STILL not be able to carry in all 50 states. I hope this passes, but realistically I am not sure it will but at least I'm glad its up there.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    On another note, I'm sure this will get me on some peoples nerves, but I see the big problem with this bill is that some states, such as IN, will grant a CC license to anyone that is of age and without a specific criminal past. This is good and all, but I'm of the mind that if every state that offered a CC permit that its applicants would have to take some safety courses first to qualify for the permit would nip ALOT of blockers off this bill. I mean does ANY state issue a drivers license without the applicant first proving they can drive. A firearm is a deadly weapon in the "wrong" hands be that a BG or some untrained. If everyone at least knew HOW to use their daily carry firearm and can prove they know which end goes bang and how to secure it, what is the problem with allowing someone who can responsibly use/ carry their firearm do it in any state that allows it (stupid IL!)

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Anyone besides me think if the feds get "reciprocity control", they can and will morph it into...the feds set the groundrules and eventually... it will be the feds who decide who can pack and who cant in every state...

Johnny C

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    IF you are a Constitutional purist then you would be with Lugar on this and leave it up to the states to negotiate reciprocity agreements with the remaining states. Eventually they would work it out.

On the flip side, one can go with the 14th amendment re: equal treatment by all of the states for all of each others legislation. That would include the right of gays to marry and others that you may or may not like. Unless you are for equal treatment as far as the B o R is concerned and not for other state legislation.

Obviously, the less intrusion by the Fed. Gov't. the better. But it comes down to if you want to be a purist or not. The way the Constitution is written, basically you are either all in or all out. Just, many of our Congress Critters think that they have license to play around with it all they want to and are free to make whatever inferences they see fit. I don't see it that way.

Lugar was a better Conservative as a Mayor than as a Senator and his time should have been over at least a decade ago. My vote will go to Mourdock.

As far as the law in the OP is concerned I am still unsure where I sit. Need to ponder this one a while.

I am a Constitutionalist.

The Constitution is the founding document of the UNITED states. It was submitted for ratification on September 17th. 1787. When it was submitted, there was an outcry for a Bill of Rights by the states. The Bill of Rights was promised, and the Constitution was ratified by two thirds of the States on June 21st. 1788. All of the states eventually ratified it,

The Bill of Rights was submitted to the states on September 25th. 1789, and was ratified on December 15th. 1791, signifying that the States accepted this as apart of the constitution, and the law of the land.

Please allow me to draw your attention to the 9th. and 10th. amendments.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

All of the States that have joined the Union have in affect ratified the Constitution.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Lugar gave away Alaskan sovereign territory to Russia

Specifically, Wrangel Island and a few other smaller uninhabited islands, which sit SMACK over some of the richest oil-deposits in the Arctic. Russia reports observing HUGEMONGOUS bubbles of methane, as big as 100 meters (which is of course impossible, due to the nature of bubbles in water) escaping constantly from below the sea-floor up there, in the Arctic. Lugar pushed for the treaty, but although Russia is acting like it is LAW, congress has NOT approved it yet. We still have time. True, he is a fossil, and needs to be put where fossils belong. In a museum.

He needs to go because he's too old to be in Washington DC carrying out the will of the people. The guy is a fossil that should have retired a dozen years ago.

He's a gun grabber and a globalist...and has been for decades.

GET rid of him while you can.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Got a phone call from a Lugar campaign person. I was asked if I intended to vote for Lugar. I told the person that I would only consider voting from him if he came out in public, admitted that he was wrong in backing gun bans, and that he would uphold the second amendment 100% and if not agree to leave office immediately upon making statements contrary to the second amendment.

The Lugar campaign person just shuddered and said thank you for your time.

We really shouldn't be having this conversation if all the states agreed to abide by the constitution, which state... well I really don't have to requote the second amendment, do I??? :D

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    The whole picture is that the 14th Amendment was ratified, and Lugar had no problem with "states' rights" when he voted for the AWB, nor did Lautenberg or any of the other anti-gunners he votes with and hangs around.

You are right and our lovely Gov't picks and chooses when and on what issue it applies the 14th every day.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I usually agree with Lugar on most of his stances, but have to disagree on this one. Only thing I can think is he may fear a state with lax guidelines for Licensing to cause a problem, but the way I read the bill it is for residents of another state to have same rights we have when they are in our state. If you are a resident of IN then you would have to conform to our laws, right?

• Lugar is a BIG GOVERNMENT RINO who supports expansion of programs.
    • Lugar is believes in American Imperialism and expansion of the US via foreign aid.
    • Lugar is a long time believer in gun control and has supported it many times.
    • Lugar is strongly opposed by Tea Party groups for numerous liberal positions.
    • Lugar is only given a "conservative action score" of 50%.
    • Lugar opposed a moratorium on earmark spending.
    • He has also been the chief architect of the near confirmation of the START, unilateral disarmament treaty in the Senate.
    • Lugar was a member of the Liberal think tank the Roosevelt Institute and only stepped down after Richard Murdock challenged him in the GOP primary for the Senate this year.
    • Lugar voted for the FDA farm takeover.
    • Lugar favors amnesty for illegals.
    • The NAACP rates Lugar with a pro-liberal voting record of 47%
    • The LCV rates Lugar with a pro-liberal voting record of 53%
    • The CDF rates Lugar with a pro-liberal voting record of 80%
    • The ACLU rates Lugar with a pro-liberal voting record of 30%

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I am a Constitutionalist.

The Constitution is the founding document of the UNITED states. It was submitted for ratification on September 17th. 1787. When it was submitted, there was an outcry for a Bill of Rights by the states. The Bill of Rights was promised, and the Constitution was ratified by two thirds of the States on June 21st. 1788. All of the states eventually ratified it,

The Bill of Rights was submitted to the states on September 25th. 1789, and was ratified on December 15th. 1791, signifying that the States accepted this as apart of the constitution, and the law of the land.

Please allow me to draw your attention to the 9th. and 10th. amendments.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

All of the States that have joined the Union have in affect ratified the Constitution.

Preaching to the choir. You seem to be under impression that I am for the Fed controlling what the states can and can't do. I didn't say that anywhere. What I said in my post if you reread it is that the Constitution of the United States, as written DEFINES the structure, responsibilities and limits of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. It does not define in any way what the limits or responsibilities of the several states are. They already had their own constitutions in place long before the US CONSTITUTION.

And as you pointed out in your post re: the 9th and 10th amendments hold that other rights and powers not listed in the USC are reserved to the people and the states. Ie: the Fed has no authority to curtail or usurp them.

I never intimated anything different. If pressed Lugar will just say that his position is the Fed should stay out of it.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    I sent a message to Luger.

I had sent one to Todd Young expressing my support for HR 822 in the upcoming vote and I did get a response (from someone in his office) It was nice to actually get something back, and he pointed out that he was one of the co-sponsors of the legislation, which I did not realize.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I've personally had the opportunity to shake his hand while legally carrying. Nothing happened....

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    The comments on articles like that **** me off. How many of those misguided individuals even know what the actual statistics are, as if they would believe them once they found out. Better still, how many have been a victim of a violent crime? I guess it is time to write to Washington, again, and explain how I wouldn't have had a fractured jaw, cracked teeth, and blood spilling from my face had I been armed when I was mugged. I have seriously never told that story and had ANYONE who actually listened disagree with my right to carry.

Oh, and what is with all of the "Well they won't recognize gay marriage" crap. The GOP does not represent gun owners. We all have our own thoughts and ideas. I wish people would stop drawing an instant line from 2A to GOP.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The GOP does not represent gun owners. We all have our own thoughts and ideas. I wish people would stop drawing an instant line from 2A to GOP.

True but...

The GOP is in a transformation process. The RINO crew of the party needs to be ousted ASAP so we can return to our roots as conservatives. It started with the 2010 elections and must continue.

This is what we can do. We can defeat Lugar in the primaries first. We can't do much about the other states' Rino's, only Indiana's. We need to support Mourdock and all the other conservative candidiates to return the GOP to where it belongs.

It takes more than just voting. Support the conservative candidiates with money, door to door canvassing, envelope stuffing, etc.

I'm attending a Mourdock fundraiser tonight in Mishawaka at the VFW.

$10 spaghetti dinner or $100 sponsorship.

Become active and let's finish taking our party (and our country) back!

The time is now. The question is are we up to it?

I believe we are!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Don't waste time try to lay out a constitutional or common sense case to him. Pols just understand votes for/against them. Just let him know you are against his stance on this or any other vote. His staff reads the incoming mail and will just give him totals. They know that for each opinion they receive X number of other voters hold the same view. They will only look at the percentage score pro and con.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Don't waste time try to lay out a constitutional or common sense case to him. Pols just understand votes for/against them. Just let him know you are against his stance on this or any other vote. His staff reads the incoming mail and will just give him totals. They know that for each opinion they receive X number of other voters hold the same view. They will only look at the percentage score pro and con.

That train has left the station. You can't change him. Just send him home.

Top Bottom