• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    I picked up some Lithium Bearing grease and it is smooth as all get out. I did notice that it picked up more gunk than when I was just using Rem oil. Is this normal or should I use a different lube? I used it on the slide as well as all of the internals.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've used lithium grease on my pistols and it seemed to work just fine, although some grades aren't all that good at low temps. They can get pretty viscous. I'd use it again if I was out of my current stuff. Greases do seem to attract more stuff than oils.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Ive used rem oil, hoppies oil, even used anti-seize and lubriplate (gm OEM grease, very similar to GAA) and have used Mil-Spec GAA ( Grease, Automotive, Artillery). My Favorite lube for my auto pistols to date is Tetra gun grease. I use it on the internals, and very sparingly on the rails. As far as picking up more junk, I suppose, but especially on the rails, oil vs. grease is a no brainer, as the oil leave much to be desired.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Meh. To each their own, but I've always gone by what a gun smith friend told me:
    "Grease is for load bearing, oil is for fast moving...that's why we grease our wheel bearings but put oil in our engines".
    I prefer synthetic stuff rated from super sub-zero to way fricken heat hot. But that's my two cents and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have had the same little tub (maybe an ounce) of RIG grease for at least 10 years. It was labeled "for stainless steel". I use it for any pistol slides, even AR-15 bcg. VERY tiny amount, like just enough from a toothpick tip to show a narrow shiny line in bright light. That little amount does not seem to pick up much debris. Many people use lots more than me, but I never have any trouble, and I hate to clean firearms, so I try to avoid causing extra mess. There are moly or graphite greases that I am sure will be fine, but I do not like anything that leaves black marks on my fingers when I rack a slide. I also will use lubriplate the same minimal way, just depends which grease is handy. The M-1 and the M-14 get a lot more generous amount of grease in the oprod/bolt sliding surfaces.

I do not think you can go wrong with any modern lube made for metal. Firearms are not like the bearings on a turbocharger that have to spin red hot metal at 70,000 rpms.

Last edited:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I picked up some Lithium Bearing grease and it is smooth as all get out. I did notice that it picked up more gunk than when I was just using Rem oil. Is this normal or should I use a different lube? I used it on the slide as well as all of the internals.

I prefer a small amount of a lube over grease. Always functions wells and doesn't gunk up as much. just my opinion.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Grease works well on some pistols but on some it can collect gunk and cause problems. I like Mil-Comm TW25B for pistols. Lithium grease IMHO is a bit to heavy.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I like gun grease such as Tetra. Trick is not to glob it on. Put some on the high friction areas, let it sit and then gently rub it in/off. Then oil as usual. I have even been known to rub a little on a patch and pull it through the bore.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I use Mil-Comm TW25B on the slide rails (sparingly), and Mil-Comm MC-3000 for the rest. I have had no problems.
    One pays their money and takes their choice.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What is that guy's name that put together ATF (autotrannyfluid) and a couple of other ingredients?

Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

Anyone try his recipe?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Mobil 5W- synthetic is an excellent lubricant, especially in very cold weather. I've also used Marvel Mystery Oil for air tools as a gun lubricant.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    a drop of good gun oil (i use FP-10) on each slide rail and a drop on the barrel at the bushing is all they need......nothing more nothing less:twocents:

Top Bottom