• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    What is that guy's name that put together ATF (autotrannyfluid) and a couple of other ingredients?

Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

Anyone try his recipe?

It's called Ed's Red. It's been around for almost 25 years. I used it for a couple of years, and had no trouble.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What is that guy's name that put together ATF (autotrannyfluid) and a couple of other ingredients?

Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

Anyone try his recipe?
    I think it was called Ed's Red. That's what I use. It's a combination of Mobil 1, Mobil 1 ATF and STP. The primary lubricant is the Mobil 1. You add a bit of Mobil 1 ATF for the high detergent levels in ATF to aide in carbon removal. The STP is just a viscosity modifier to help it stay where it needs to stay. The original recipe did not call for synthetics, but I prefer synthetics and substituted Mobil 1 for the oil and atf. It was more expensive my way, but I still ended up with a lifetime supply of pistol lube for about $15.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    When I lube my 1911 (daily carry, so about once a week) I'll wet a q-tip with oil and run it down the top and sides of the rails on both the slide and the frame. Then I'll wipe again lightly with the dry side just to pick up excess. Reassemble, then a drop on barrel hood, and a thin line on top of the barrel when the slide is locked back. Cycle several times, wipe excess off and done.

I have some tetra grease, but I only bought it to use on hinges of my break open shotguns.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    My double secret formula is Lubriplate and Breakfree mixed 50/50. (Don't tell anyone as this is double secret) An Old Gunsmith showed me this years ago to prevent Galling on a Stainless 1911. Has worked for me for 35+ years.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I think it was called Ed's Red. That's what I use. It's a combination of Mobil 1, Mobil 1 ATF and STP. The primary lubricant is the Mobil 1. You add a bit of Mobil 1 ATF for the high detergent levels in ATF to aide in carbon removal. The STP is just a viscosity modifier to help it stay where it needs to stay. The original recipe did not call for synthetics, but I prefer synthetics and substituted Mobil 1 for the oil and atf. It was more expensive my way, but I still ended up with a lifetime supply of pistol lube for about $15.

The original recipe also included lanolin. I don't remember what he claimed that was for, but he did say it was "optional."

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    "Grease is for load bearing, oil is for fast moving...that's why we grease our wheel bearings but put oil in our engines".

^ same here, basically.

I used to use Hoppe's #9 and light gun oil (or 3-in-1).
    Since 1970 it was Hoppe's #9 and CLP. RIG grease for storage.
    Since about 1992 to now: Almost exclusively Ballistol for cleaning, lube, and long-term storage. Occasionally, not often, Hoppe's #9 is still used right before the Ballistol.

For heavy bearing surfaces like bolt action camming surfaces I use a light to medium grease, such as slick 50, with moly-d added.
    For very sandy and dusty areas I use a moly-d dry lube, like Dri-Slide.

Top Bottom