• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Talking about investment ars... you all let a kac sr15 sit in the classies for 2 weeks... now it's getting abused on my range and won't be the market again. An opportunist could have flipped it the same day.

If you want to really invest in ars get into colt, fn, kac, lmt, and centurion. A 400 dollar bear creek or 600 dollar psa will never keep up with inflation. You may catch a wave but they'll drop back down fast.

Attachments

• 20220206_184134.jpg
      20220206_184134.jpg
      659.8 KB · Views: 18

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I said this for a while. But there really is. I've legod a lot of ars. The last couple years i put a lot into researching and hand selecting parts. It's a measurable difference. It's as wide a difference as a mass produced 1911 and a hand built 1911.
    Agreed

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Way different than ARs, but wish that when I was young and dumb and 21, I would have dropped a couple thousand on Mausers and SKSs at southern Ohio gun, when VG condition ones were $69 each before volume discount. At that age, I spent way more that that on stupid stuff....
    Would have had roughy tenfold return in 20 years, which isn't terrible... :-)
    Some of us did buy a lot of milsurp in the 70's nd 80's and still have them!:)

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    in 2012 are sold like crazy, none on the shelves and ammo for them too skyrocketed, it helped my retirement some! now there are so many out there just about have to take a loss to sell them mainly on the lower end ones

neycx1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2022
    Noblesville
    Agree with most of the replies here. Buy just to ensure you have them if you ever can't get them, but never count on something like this as an investment. Even if its an entire firearm, it's worthless to someone without ammo!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    A few of the more budget priced ARs are running at prices that have not been seen in a few years. What are your thoughts on grabbing one or two as a purchase, for a small "investment"? Worst case you have a couple functioning rifles you got for cheap.
    "Investment" as in "making money?" Yeah, probably. We'll have another panic sooner or later. I saw $399 S&W M&P Sport II rifles going for $700 and more during the last fiasco. There's always going to be somebody willing to pay top dollar on the eve of an imagined apocalypse.

"Investment" as in survival tools during actual SHTF? Most definitely. Find a decent quality budget make and put a couple in the back of the safe. Snobs seem to think that if it doesn't have their favorite rollmark on the receiver that it's doomed to fail. They couldn't be more full of ****. A decent quality budget rifle will run thousands of rounds without issue.

Lots of folks think that owning a Steinway makes them Chopin. :):

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    "Investment" as in "making money?" Yeah, probably. We'll have another panic sooner or later. I saw $399 S&W M&P Sport II rifles going for $700 and more during the last fiasco. There's always going to be somebody willing to pay top dollar on the eve of an imagined apocalypse.

"Investment" as in survival tools during actual SHTF? Most definitely. Find a decent quality budget make and put a couple in the back of the safe. Snobs seem to think that if it doesn't have their favorite rollmark on the receiver that it's doomed to fail. They couldn't be more full of ****. A decent quality budget rifle will run thousands of rounds without issue.

Lots of folks think that owning a Steinway makes them Chopin. :):
    If SHTF there are enough out there to make a Franken 15 from parts that will shoot well.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    One is none, and two is one.

Not everyone has a money tree in the backyard.

Lots of serviceable rifles out there without a snobbery surcharge.
    He asked about reselling. You're going to make more with a high end ar than garbage tier 500 dollar gun. That's a fact. Buy 3 trash rifles as an investment or buy a kac upper for similar price. The kac uppers sell the day after the drop for 3k the bca psa loses value immediately.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't know if we will see runs on ARs in the near future even close to some in the past. Just like this last run on guns, ARs didnt do much, AKs jumped some.

Aren't AK's noticeably overvalued? Maybe just me, but IIRC, weren't they way cheaper some years back?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Aren't AK's noticeably overvalued? Maybe just me, but IIRC, weren't they way cheaper some years back?
    I wouldn't say over valued. 15 years ago there was basically no limit on quality parts kits coming in. Now there is a finite amount. Value follows availability. It's expensive and risky, due to ever changing international trade rules, to import new quality euro models. A nice romy g today will continue to increase in value

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    One is none, and two is one.

Not everyone has a money tree in the backyard.

Lots of serviceable rifles out there without a snobbery surcharge.

Agreed. I understand the desire for top-tier rifles, whether for resale or penultimate reliability. Yes, save your pennies and get one if you can.

I also understand most of us won't be in a John Wick-type situation because if we are, most of us will be dead in short fashion.

I bought my base-level AR rifles based upon what I saw over the last 30 years: race riots, natural disasters, power outages....how the worst in men emerges when the lights go out and the law retreats.

The Roof-top Koreans taught me you'll need friends and family for a good defense. Kyle Rittenhouse taught me a base AR that works against a few attackers is probably good enough (that plus an excellent lawyer and maybe don't put yourself in that situation in the first place). The LA Riot / BLM riots taught me that there are multitudes of idiots across our nation that will beat me and burn down my house because of the color of my skin. Finally, between Covid and Biden inflation I see how many politicians really don't give-a-fudge about me or my family.

I can't afford to invest thousands into a top tier AR, endless carbine courses and crates of ammo, but I can spend $1000 for a base AR, some spare mags and boxes of ammo. Spend a little bit more for some training and range time and you'll be prepared enough...plus pay off your house, send your kids to college and save for retirement.

So no, I don't look at my rifles as an investment, but as tools for recreation and basic self-defense.

Top Bottom