• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Tailgaters used to infuriate me to no end. I would even shake my fist in front of the rearview mirror or tap the brakes a couple times before slamming them on. What I realized is that I was allow the tailgater to control me. If I am in the hammer lane it is because I need to pass someone in the right lane. If my lane is blocked I have no option but to wait until who ever is in front of me moves out of the way so that I can pass then resume my position in the right lane. If the person tailgating me thinks that they have the right to be in front of me and get angry because I won't give up a position that I had first "GET OVER IT" I will move over when I can and you can be on your merry way.

Life is too short to be controlled by inconsiderate people. :twocents:
    You are so right, Glueman. When I let someone else get my goat, I give up my control of myself to them. The dude that was arrested really makes me think. If he can that easily fly off the handle and stay out of control, he would be a good candidate for workplace violence, etc.

stranger danger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2013
    Cop should have just brake checked him in the first place. I live across the street from Louisville. Very suprised he wasn't shot. Must have been too cold.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You guys who are hitting the brakes to attempt to cause an accident you should know you will be cited. It is illegal to use your vehicle in this manner. Not all rear end collisions are the rear cars fault.

No not all rear end collisions are the rear car's fault. But if you're riding my bumper and hit me because I hit the brakes it IS your fault. You shouldn't have been following so closely. What if a kid ran out in the middle of the road and I had to slam on my brakes? Not my fault some moron behind me can't back off. For the record, I don't ever brake check people. Whether the resulting collision is my fault or not it's more hassle than what I want to deal with. I WILL, however, let up off the gas until the doofus behind me gets the picture.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    So tell me, what does one do when someone is tailgating you and you are in the right-hand lane?

That sure is annoying. I usually carry a pretty good pace and try to keep to the middle or right hand lanes unless I need around. So when someone blows up behind me like that I am usually just drop the speed until they figure out its best to get on by. Sometimes I smile and wave as they roll past....

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    "So tell me, what does one do when someone is tailgating you and you are in the right-hand lane? "

Lift your foot from accelerator to lowest posted speed. At 45 they sometimes get a clue.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    "Constant allegedly continued to closely follow the officer for about a half-mile before trying to pass him in the right lane, but ended up striking the officer's vehicle as Constant merged back into the fast lane. "

I wonder if the officer sped up when he tried to over?

No dash cam the guy is really screwed.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    let up off the gas until the doofus behind me gets the picture.

I do the same. I just let up on gas and slow enough so that they pass me. Sometime I will even pull over and let them go.

I used to be a hot head, aggressive driver. After over a 1,000,000 miles on the road, I have learned to stay calm. I still say things out loud to myself,lol, but I won't let others push me to do something rash.

If other's want to drive aggressively, then I have no problem getting out of their way and letting them go. Had a cop once tell me to let them go. It's better for everyone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I will pull over and get out of someone's way most of the time, but if I'm already going 15-20 mph over the posted speed limit (hypothetically of course ;)), I'm not in a big hurry to do so if there is room for them to get around me on the right. If I can easily get over to the right without getting behind someone driving much slower, then I will. What I find irritating are the people that don't bother to check their rear view mirrors to see that there are a couple dozen cars backed up behind them while other cars are passing them on the right. I don't tailgate, ever. I will match the car's speed that's in front of me while maintaining a safe distance.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you think about tailgating, unless you are going to pass the person in front of you, you don't gain anything by riding their bumper.

If I am going to pass someone, I will get up close behind the car prior to overtaking them. Lately with the icy conditions, I won't accelerate to the degree I need to in order to pass someone who is driving a little slower than I would. So in this case, I just back off and match their speed. A plus is they are helping to keep me safe since I do tend to drive too fast for conditions. LOL.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    "So tell me, what does one do when someone is tailgating you and you are in the right-hand lane? "

Lift your foot from accelerator to lowest posted speed. At 45 they sometimes get a clue.

Many times I have done a "reverse pass". If clear, I pull out in the left lane, tap the brake, and as the other car goes by, I drop in behind them. Keeping a safe distance, of course. :) Then, there's always the "brake-check". But I wouldn't do that... :D

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I love people who tailgate while im in the right lane. I just take my foot off the gas and laugh at their poor driving and anger management skills. Sorry bud, if you want to act like a jacka** you can go right around me and keep acting like one while I get a good laugh out of you.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    A friend of mine, who happens to be a Clarksville cop was telling me about driving down the road once, and looking in his mirror to see a driver right on his bumper, he said the guy was so close he couldn't see his headlights, and my buddy was in his MARKED patrol car! This continued for a quarter mile or so until my buddy could pull off and let the guy go by him, he then lit him up and stopped him. He said, as far as he could tell, the guy honestly had no clue he was following that close, just wasn't paying attention. Kinda scary to think about it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I once heard the theory that the person who is actually at fault in an accident is the last one who had the chance to avoid it and didn't. All the talk of brake checking reminds me of this..........If you really give somebody a major brake check and he hits you, no matter who is legally at fault, you're still in an accident. Your car is damaged and maybe you're injured or worse. But, you showed him, didn't you? :dunno:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you think about tailgating, unless you are going to pass the person in front of you, you don't gain anything by riding their bumper.

If I am going to pass someone, I will get up close behind the car prior to overtaking them. Lately with the icy conditions, I won't accelerate to the degree I need to in order to pass someone who is driving a little slower than I would. So in this case, I just back off and match their speed. A plus is they are helping to keep me safe since I do tend to drive too fast for conditions. LOL.

You sir are part of the problem that exist on today's roadways.

How about being intelligent about passing and getting over in adequate time so you don't crawl up their rear.

Nothing peeves me off more than some yahoo who tailgates, or crawls up my bumper before making a lane change.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A friend of mine, who happens to be a Clarksville cop was telling me about driving down the road once, and looking in his mirror to see a driver right on his bumper, he said the guy was so close he couldn't see his headlights, and my buddy was in his MARKED patrol car! This continued for a quarter mile or so until my buddy could pull off and let the guy go by him, he then lit him up and stopped him. He said, as far as he could tell, the guy honestly had no clue he was following that close, just wasn't paying attention. Kinda scary to think about it.
    That is a good point. There are some people who are experiencing road rage and tailgate as part of their aggression. There are others who have no idea that they routinely follow too closely. Of course, I suppose, most people who are pulled over claim ignorance.

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.

Texting?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    How many people complaining about tailgaters pull out in front of people and don't even bother getting up to the speed limit?

Top Bottom