• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not really. It's going to depend on a lot of factors, such as travel, how many hours, the level of the course, how many students, etc. I would expect it to be significantly less than most of the traveling instructors (for a variety of reasons). I expect that it will start more like "tutoring," and then develop into more rigidly structured blocks of instruction.

One of my goals is to fill a few empty niches that exist. One is for people who can only commit a few hours at a time to such endeavors, either due to their schedules or because of physical limitations. Another is to address needs of people who have physical limitations that either prevent them from attending "big name" instructor classes, or make it difficult for them to do so comfortably. Among the latter group are people who are the most in need of weapons-dependent defensive skills, yet they may have the toughest time accessing such instructional opportunities.

For a lot of people 3-5 days straight is too much of an investment of whatever of their resources are limited (time, money, stamina, attention span, etc.). For them, blocks of 2-6 hours will work a lot better, and since I'm "local," it won't be impractical due to the logistical problems faced by traveling instructors.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Due to the high cost of ammo and some other reasons, the only time I shoot anymore is in classes. I think your idea of short tutorials is excellent. The cost would not be unbearable and it would allow people like me--among others--to shoot while making every round count.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the positive feedback on my ideas, E.

You make an excellent point about ammo costs. Fortunately, when I'm in a learning situation, I subscribe to the policy that every round you fire should be for a good reason and have some sort of educational or training merit. That's something I learned from Louis, and I think he's absolutely right about it. You can learn more from him firing a few hundred rounds than you can from a lot of others firing five times as many rounds.

Hah! I brought it around full circle!

I only shoot centerfire rounds in matches and classes now too. I try to do as much as I can with .22LR too, which makes a big difference. I wouldn't have a problem with someone using a .22 in one of my classes, especially if the lessons were geared toward marksmanship. When it progresses to more "applications," then I think a mix of .22 and what you will carry or potentially use would make sense.

I know Ken Campbell allows .22 pistols in his Intro to Defensive Pistol class. When I did it back in 2002 (I think), there were a few people with .22 pistols and they did just fine with them.

If everyone had a .22 conversion for their carry gun and defensive rifle, they'd be in business. Pistols conversions would let you use your regular holster.

In my case, I don't have either, but I did approximate an AR-ish .22 by using a Ruger 10/22 and a Tapco pistol grip stock.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Since I last posted here, I went ahead and committed myself to the carbine instructor's class. So I'll be in that and the regular carbine class.

Hopefully I'll be able to do both with an AK. That should be an interesting experience, as I have almost zero experience with AKs.

selynn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Can someone please reveal the physical location and address of the Boone County Firing Range. Exactly where is it located???
    THANKS

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Since I last posted here, I went ahead and committed myself to the carbine instructor's class. So I'll be in that and the regular carbine class.

Hopefully I'll be able to do both with an AK. That should be an interesting experience, as I have almost zero experience with AKs.

How about a review of the instructor class?

Thanks.

Top Bottom