• Total voters

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I am an avid rider (currently bikeless :( ) and as far as I am concerned the louder the pipes the bigger the jerk. And then sitting there revving the engine just to make noise to say "look at me" the bigger a jerk I think they are.

Yeah, I've been on a motorcycle for 28 years now, heard all the arguments, am still a member of The Denizens of Doom, and I still think people with loud pipes are jerks.
    I agree. They are just too self-absorbed and apparently can't get the attention they crave through positive achievements.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    We're here on vacation and our neighbor clearly has them. He also has a job that he leaves for around 7am. These structures are anything but sound proof. He fired it up and the dogs start in. He leaves, the dogs continue.

Loud pipes... What says INGO? I say no point to them. If you want to warn others of your presence, point the exhaust forward where most accidents come from.
    Take the muffler off your riding lawnmower and start mowing the grass at an hour that will disturb your neighbor (that might be any time of day). If he complains, just tell him that it is safer (all the critters hear you coming) and you just like the way it sounds. BTW, buy one of those headsets that dampen the outside sound, but plays music or radio stations. Of course, this time of the year you could just run a straight pipe on a snow blower.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Take the muffler off your riding lawnmower and start mowing the grass at an hour that will disturb your neighbor (that might be any time of day). If he complains, just tell him that it is safer (all the critters hear you coming) and you just like the way it sounds. BTW, buy one of those headsets that dampen the outside sound, but plays music or radio stations. Of course, this time of the year you could just run a straight pipe on a snow blower.

Neighbors on either side do this with mufflers on there mowers , but start at 6 A.M or earlier.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    images

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    How many who believe in loud pipes for safety don't wear helmets?

I dont believe safety is much of a concern to the people who TEXT n drive. Loud pipes , loud stereos , loud high performance cars , helmets won't save your life when people can't put there phone down.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    In the mid eighties, I was on a 45mph state highway behind some large farm implement. (Proving that I was in Indiana) with an impatient Harley rider tailgating and jockeying around like a "Mario" behind me. He was so irritated by our slow pace, and the lack of passing opportunities, when the time came, he full throttled his shorty straight pipes around me. As the full tilt Harley got alongside my open window (no AC in my truck), the acoustic output was so loud and harsh, my arms reacted to steer away from the sound,without my conscious input, sending me down a shallow ravine. Fortunately many folks who witnessed this event stuck around to help me, while Harley Guy loudly zoomed off in righteous indignation. :rolleyes: Make of this what you will.

fuddus99

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Lawrence, IN
    My Bonneville has an Arrow 2 in 2 exhaust with the baffles. It's not too loud, but the bike runs rich and it backfires when I let off the throttle... so there's my happy medium from not always being loud.

fuddus99

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Lawrence, IN
    Hmmm, yeah, not sure actually. I have a power commander on it with a tune specific to that setup. Just assumed it's rich sense my buddy noticed fireballs coming from the pipes... Figured that's excess fuel burning out. Do I have the wrong terminology?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hmmm, yeah, not sure actually. I have a power commander on it with a tune specific to that setup. Just assumed it's rich sense my buddy noticed fireballs coming from the pipes... Figured that's excess fuel burning out. Do I have the wrong terminology?

If you are burning in the pipes it could be rich.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sure, it could be rich, but backfiring and even fire out the back can be caused by a too lean condition which has the primary effect of overheating the exhaust port and valve such that the mixture is more easily ignited after it leaves the cylinder by those things, than in the cylinder by the spark plug (I have seriously oversimplified because I am time constrained).

If it were me, I'd tune it the old fashioned way, lean it out a notch (my expertise is old CV carbs, not FI) and see if it gets better or worse, the richen it a notch from the starting point to see if it is better or worse. I don't know about FI, but careful adjustment of idle mixture screws on a CV carb can make up for a lot. If it's getting better (whichever way you go) but still not quite right, that's when you start changing jets.

...but again, I assume your bike is FI, but you can adjust mixture with the Power Commander, can't you?

fuddus99

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Lawrence, IN
    Ah cool, thanks for the explanation. It's definitely something I'll tinker with or take to the shop once it's warmer. It's a FI '09 model, so not a whole lot I can do other than try different tunes with the PC.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sure, it could be rich, but backfiring and even fire out the back can be caused by a too lean condition which has the primary effect of overheating the exhaust port and valve such that the mixture is more easily ignited after it leaves the cylinder by those things, than in the cylinder by the spark plug (I have seriously oversimplified because I am time constrained).

If it were me, I'd tune it the old fashioned way, lean it out a notch (my expertise is old CV carbs, not FI) and see if it gets better or worse, the richen it a notch from the starting point to see if it is better or worse. I don't know about FI, but careful adjustment of idle mixture screws on a CV carb can make up for a lot. If it's getting better (whichever way you go) but still not quite right, that's when you start changing jets.

...but again, I assume your bike is FI

Another sign of lean condition is the chrome on the exhaust pipes discoloring at the the engine and a bit down the pipe. Very hot right there as you mentioned. FI will compensate a bit.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My bird was definitely rich; you could smell the gas when I shut it off. There was plenty to burn off with a backfire. I used to say it leaked everything but gas and it used that so fast it may as well have leaked. An honorary HD Thunderbird! It don't leak, it's just markin' its territory.

Top Bottom