I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    C'mon man...sidecars can be fun:

1378329_621563954560607_1540264711_n.jpg

Sure can if you like them. I hate-em. Big drag on the drive train and turn like a turd.
    If you are disabled enough to need this I would help you build it up so you can ride. As for me........PASS

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I've had a few motorcycles in my day. I never had loud pipes on my bikes, but there are just too many things in this world to be upset about without worrying about someone else's exhaust pipes. We also have far too many intrusive laws already without getting curmudgeonly about stuff like this.

So when my neighbor has a loud party at 3am and wakes me and my kids up, I go ask him to turn it down. If he refused, what do you think my recourse should be?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I like the loud rumble of a Harley. I would not sit in my driveway and intentionally lay on the throttle to intentionally annoy my neighbors, but I would certainly hope they would not pester me about the time it takes for me to start my bike and leave or come home and park in the garage. As for those on the street with loud pipes, they should be able to do as they wish with their property.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I like the loud rumble of a Harley. I would not sit in my driveway and intentionally lay on the throttle to intentionally annoy my neighbors, but I would certainly hope they would not pester me about the time it takes for me to start my bike and leave or come home and park in the garage. As for those on the street with loud pipes, they should be able to do as they wish with their property.

But it not staying on their property is it. The noise is in public space and sometimes intrudes into private property space.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    But it not staying on their property is it. The noise is in public space and sometimes intrudes into private property space.

But you should be able to fly in a 747,have a block party,or an open air concert.Noise is part of life.Some noise will be pleasant to some,useful to some,and always will annoy someone.Be it shooting sports,a mode of transport,or what some consider music part of living in a free society is dealing with things that annoy you.Most every bad law started because someone some where was annoyed with something.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Just to clarify your position, should the law allow ALL motor vehicles to run straight pipes on the public roadways?

For example, a few years back I put headers on my 1967 Chevy with a high performance Big Block.

About 8:0AM in the morning, I drove it to a mechanic's shop a few blocks away with STRAIGHT PIPES (open headers) to get my exhaust system re-connected.
    It sounded REALLY COOL...

When I pulled up to the shop, they were all outside laughing. :):

Said they could hear me comin' from blocks away.

Should that be OK because my '67 is my "property"?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    But you should be able to fly in a 747,have a block party,or an open air concert.Noise is part of life.Some noise will be pleasant to some,useful to some,and always will annoy someone.Be it shooting sports,a mode of transport,or what some consider music part of living in a free society is dealing with things that annoy you.Most every bad law started because someone some where was annoyed with something.

Silence is part of life too.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Not if you live next to an active railroad track

The first apartment I moved into was next to a railroad and mile down the track was a whistle crossing (fact the manager fail to mention). The first night a train came by I literally was awake and jumped out of bed in one movement. After a week I didn't even notice the train anymore. Amazing what your mind can ignore in order to get some sleep.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You forgot one poll item..... loud pipes aren't really the issue. It's a behavior thing. Loud pipes on the highway = no one cares. Loud pipes in the neighborhood = big bad. It's not the object, it's the wielder Pretty simple logic on INGO.....

I have a race pipe on my sport bike. I keep it as quiet as possible in the hood....

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Temporarily. It is not reasonable to suggest anyone should be forced to place silent pipes on their motorcycle, due to a temporary inconvenience.

If you owned 20 acres of property with a gun range, would you NOT shoot on your land because your neighbor complained about the noise? You know the sound does intrude into private property, so I guess you would not, right?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Just to clarify your position, should the law allow ALL motor vehicles to run straight pipes on the public roadways?

For example, a few years back I put headers on my 1967 Chevy with a high performance Big Block.

About 8:0AM in the morning, I drove it to a mechanic's shop a few blocks away with STRAIGHT PIPES (open headers) to get my exhaust system re-connected.
    It sounded REALLY COOL...

When I pulled up to the shop, they were all outside laughing. :):

Said they could hear me comin' from blocks away.

Should that be OK because my '67 is my "property"?

Why not? :dunno:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Temporarily. It is not reasonable to suggest anyone should be forced to place silent pipes on their motorcycle, due to a temporary inconvenience.

If you owned 20 acres of property with a gun range, would you NOT shoot on your land because your neighbor complained about the noise? You know the sound does intrude into private property, so I guess you would not, right?

That would depend on the noise ordinance. If the report of my shooting was such that it was in violation of the ordinance they I would have to stop or construct noise dampers. I've been passed by bikes with such loud pipes that it was more than a temporary inconvenience. Everyone is talking about rights, so the question is where do these rights come from, who grants these rights? Why is your right to have loud pipes override my right not to hear your pipes?

When we go riding I'm in front because I don't want to hear you LOUD pipes :):

Top Bottom