• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Taurus is hit and miss, their revolvers are basically S&W copies as far as lock work goes. I will say if you expect a hand fit masterpiece look elsewhere, that's not to say that you couldn't fit them yourself...

As far as their semi-auto offerings, I've only had real problems with a PT-138 in .380. I couldn't get that thing to run for the life of me. Everything else that I've either owned or shot has been entirely serviceable. All that being said, how many do I currently own? Zero.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I have half dozen or so Taurus handguns right now. In general they do the job for which they were made.
    In the semi-auto group I really like the PT 945 and the 1911 rail-gun. I am not a fan of ANY polymer framed guns, so If I give a negative vote for the 24/7 OSS in 45acp and 9mm that I sold, it was not a Taurus issue, I just don't care for the Poly-feel. A neighbor uses a 709slim for CC and swears by it...Who am I to question his judgement.

Revolvers- the newer alloy and steel guns work fine for me... 22/357/44 I have several and they are keepers for me. I am looking at a 357 Tracker SS right now as my first of the year purchase.

Those who bad-mouth Taurus (or Rossi/Puma) are like those who insist that the more expensive brands of many items (CARS !!) are much better than the more 'generic' versions. Taurus did have a period when their quality was a bit lower than the standard for the day (30 years ago) but they seem to be making good quality guns now !

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I fixed many new ones, and sent even more back for repair (sometimes more than once).
    Fair number of used but not abused ones failed too.
    Even volume adjusted (compared to other brands that were sold where I worked)..........Taurus has more problems.
    Metallurgical, process, design.............seen failures in all categories.
    This 4-7 yrs ago.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    I believe that The PT 92 thru PT 101 were made under license from Beretta , hence the similar appearance.
    It is my understanding that some of the parts on these models will interchange
    with a similar Beretta.

bluzfan66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Switzerland Co, IN
    Love mine!!! Paid $599 for my full sized .45 PT1911 and it fires when the trigger is pulled. Isn't that what its suppose to do??? It's accurate too. I can't complain. Some people think you need to spend a sh!tload of money to get a good piece. I didn't feel the need to go out and spend over $1200 on a "top of the line" handgun.

Edited to add: My wife has the Taurus 809c and that too is a fine handgun.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've owned three (3) Taurus's...2 PT's and a model 850 in .38+P...and all three had to be sent in for repairs. The model 850, they never could figure out what was wrong with it but it would 'jam' after the 1st round was fired every time...then you couldn't get the cylinder open to empty it! Two trips for repairs...traded it in! The next person who bought it also had to send it in for repairs (according to the FFL where I traded it!)

A friend had a 4" .22 revolver that had, basically, the same issue. Her Model 85 in .38 functioned fairly well...but that's the only Taurus I know of that hasn't needed to go to the factory for something.

I'm sure some people have Taurus's that perform just fine...but that hasn't been my experience.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I clicked after the ad was yanked, too.

Every gun manufacture (like every car manufacturer, etc.) puts out a lemon here or there.
    The thing with Taurus is, they do have a lifetime warranty.

I have the PT145 (bought it used) and never had a problem with it.
    I bought it thinking I'd chuck it in a go-bag, but the daughter's boyfriend really likes to shoot it...so I'm thinking if he asks me if I'll sell it to him, I'll say yes. But only because we've shot it so much it's proven to be reliable. That way, I'll know when he's carrying and she's with him, he's got a dependable piece to protect them both.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have one Taurus. I bought it because it was a private sale and I got it very cheap. There are certain brands that I just have no interest in and Taurus is one of them. I have just read too much crap about them over the years.

Top Bottom