• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Politicians and lobbyists betrayed our trust and infringed upon our rights... and we're surprised?

**** em. All of em.

Politicians and lobbyists would have to have my trust before they could betray my trust.

They are nothing but bastard spawn of Hell....and they must be sent back to Hell from where they came.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    the only clean way out of this for the government is to re-open the registry. PERIOD

I believe this to be false hope.

The gov't will be around a long time. They can wait.

They won't need to go door to door for this. This could basically become a sentence enhancer. They find you doing something illegal and have a bumpstock? Boom. Another felony charge.

People won't take these out in public anymore. They will be popular because they are illicit, in dark rooms and basements across the country.

When I was a kid, my grandfather kept a 'snake charmer' near the front door of his house. It was his home defense shotgun. He never made a big deal out of it, but I'm pretty sure it was a short barrel shotgun, and there ain't no way he had a stamp for it.

He didn't make a big deal, and he never had to use it, so it wasn't a big deal.

This'll be the same thing.

Oh, that is - assuming the litigation doesn't succeed. My point is, that opening up the registry is probably not going to happen. (Unless, by some miracle of miracles, this is the case that busts open the whole NFA. Yeah... THAT is probably even more false hope.) ;)

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    Oh, that is - assuming the litigation doesn't succeed. My point is, that opening up the registry is probably not going to happen. (Unless, by some miracle of miracles, this is the case that busts open the whole NFA. Yeah... THAT is probably even more false hope.) ;)

I'm actually curious to see where this goes, especially how it plays into Kisor v. Wilkie (the upcoming Supreme Court case challenging the ability of regulatory agencies to arbitrarily interpret federal law with zero oversight). It won't outright end the NFA, but it could stop the BATFE from pulling these sorts of stunts.
    Still, I wouldn't let my enthusiasm go above 'cautious optimism'.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    But it wouldn't be letting a few million "guns" into the transferable market would it? It would be letting a few million plastic accessories and some gun parts into the transferable market. I must be misunderstanding something.

Since bump stocks aren’t readily serial numbered, they’d have to be “married” to a registered gun. There are a bunch of machine guns that were made that way (in particular, a lot of HK type guns, where the receiver is the registered portion, but it’s the trigger pack that is the actual conversion device).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Since bump stocks aren’t readily serial numbered, they’d have to be “married” to a registered gun. There are a bunch of machine guns that were made that way (in particular, a lot of HK type guns, where the receiver is the registered portion, but it’s the trigger pack that is the actual conversion device).
    But how is this going to lower the price of existing transferables? I know next to nothing about anything NFA (I'm too poor :):).

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Extremely upset about this decision. Decision was made like an extreme liberal. The government could have banned the further production of such devices and forced registration of currently existing devices like they did decades ago with fully automatic weapons. Just forcing people to either voluntarily turn them in or destroy them with no compensation is total BS. Not sure what it was like when prohibition was put in place, but my guess, it probably felt similar to this for a lot of Americans.:xmad:

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    If the government can call a bump stock a machine gun, just wait until they come for your mixer! Or blender as some may choose to call them!

Way too stupid even for Trump.

Doubt this will stand.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    But how is this going to lower the price of existing transferables? I know next to nothing about anything NFA (I'm too poor :):).

Well, the theory would go that if they allowed a million new ARs and AKs with bump stocks into the registry, unless they changed other regs, you add those guns as machineguns, without real mention of what made them so (since the gun is the registered machinegun and the unserialized bumpstock is the conversion device). So, if you had to go ahead and register the gun anyway, you can just destroy the bumpstock and convert the receiver properly, drilling that naughty third hole.

Of course, they might be smart enough to see through that and require the manner of conversion (bump stock vs other methods) to be listed on the Form 4, in which case, you just end up with a million bump-stocked guns that cost an extra $200 to sell to someone else.

But if they just open a general amnesty, like they have the ability to do, then you can register whatever you want (and I'm sure a lot of people would just register the bejeezus out of their whole collection, cause, why not). The 1968 change to the NFA gave them the ability to open 90-day amnesty periods if they want, but so far, they've only done a single one (also in 1968).

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Has anyone seen the actual wording on how the bumpstock is considered equivalent to a machine gun? Fifth amendment issues aside, what most bothers me is since the current definition of a machine gun is a firearm capable of firing more than one round with a single pull of the trigger, and the bumpstock does not do this, the definition must be changed.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Has anyone seen the actual wording on how the bumpstock is considered equivalent to a machine gun? Fifth amendment issues aside, what most bothers me is since the current definition of a machine gun is a firearm capable of firing more than one round with a single pull of the trigger, and the bumpstock does not do this, the definition must be changed.

You hit it right on the head. This has been the crux of the argument against the new rule.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I can see that now... "Machine gun shall be defined as any gun capable of a rate of fire higher than we like*"

*"Rate of fire that we like" shall be subject to change at any time on a whim, down to and including 0 rounds per minute. :rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, the theory would go that if they allowed a million new ARs and AKs with bump stocks into the registry, unless they changed other regs, you add those guns as machineguns, without real mention of what made them so (since the gun is the registered machinegun and the unserialized bumpstock is the conversion device). So, if you had to go ahead and register the gun anyway, you can just destroy the bumpstock and convert the receiver properly, drilling that naughty third hole.

Of course, they might be smart enough to see through that and require the manner of conversion (bump stock vs other methods) to be listed on the Form 4, in which case, you just end up with a million bump-stocked guns that cost an extra $200 to sell to someone else.

But if they just open a general amnesty, like they have the ability to do, then you can register whatever you want (and I'm sure a lot of people would just register the bejeezus out of their whole collection, cause, why not). The 1968 change to the NFA gave them the ability to open 90-day amnesty periods if they want, but so far, they've only done a single one (also in 1968).
    Ah, now I'm following. That makes sense, but like you said, they'd probably cover their collective asses by adding that additional line on the form.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I can see that now... "Machine gun shall be defined as any gun capable of a rate of fire higher than we like*"

*"Rate of fire that we like" shall be subject to change at any time on a whim, down to and including 0 rounds per minute. :rolleyes:

I think it might be WA that defines a machinegun as “firing more than 5 rounds a second”

so, yeah... that’s only 300rpm, which isn’t impossible to make a semiauto do

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think it might be WA that defines a machinegun as “firing more than 5 rounds a second”

so, yeah... that’s only 300rpm, which isn’t impossible to make a semiauto do

In 1999, Jerry Miculek fired 12 rounds from a 357 revolver (6, reload, 6 more) in just under 3 seconds. So just a touch over 4 rounds per second (including a reload!) with a revolver... :faint:

Top Bottom