• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Heading to Michigan tomorrow morning, won't be back til Saturday. And just for fun, I looked up the knife laws for Michigan. Nothing over 3 inches on your person.

The knife I carry is a Spyderco Endura. It's almost 4 inches. So, unfortunately, I'm unable to carry it for the next few days.

Looks like I can't win. Most of the places we'll be at, (it's been a few years since we've been there, but I'm pretty sure) are "no gun" sites. So it's almost pointless to even carry my EDC there.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]MCL 750.226 No. Michigan law specifies that a person, with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length.[/FONT]

You don't intend to use the knife unlawfully do you?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]MCL 750.226 No. Michigan law specifies that a person,with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length.[/FONT]

I think the LEO's up there will disregard "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another[/FONT]" to tip the scales in their favor. Tough decision here.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]MCL 750.226 No. Michigan law specifies that a person,with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length.[/FONT]

That code is pretty stupid. If someone intends to use a knife unlawfully do they really think that the BG is gonna give a rats rear end if it's under 3 inches? Just another useless code to try and trip up law abiding citizens.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]MCL 750.226 No. Michigan law specifies that a person, with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length.[/FONT]

I haven't seen that one. I looked up MI code, handgun laws site and over on MI gunowners.com, and it said anything over 3 inches is illegal.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    You'll get hassled if the knife is over 3". I have a folder(s) specifically for trips to Michigan.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Sounds like an excuse to buy a new knife. I am going to pick up a Spyderco folder next time I head to St. Louis so I can take it up in the Arch with me. Nothing that is over 2" and no assisted open is the Federal Monument regulations if I remember that right.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Usually referring to blade length unless otherwise specified. I found after I returned that the last time I was in Chicago I was technically breaking the law. Their code specifies blades less than 3 inches. My EDC has a 3 inch blade.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Above is correct.

I have always carried a knife over 3 inches here, as have many others and never had a problem. When I worked for the PD, the only times we ever bothered with knives at all was taking them off of arrested people before going to jail.

Top Bottom