• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I want to get a the most accurate 17 for the money. I know the Volquartsen is crazy accurate, but run a crazy price too. The Savage seems like a good deal, but how accurate is it compare to the Volquartsen?

If you 17 shooters could give me some ideas of what else is out there to consider.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I have a Savage 93 in 17HMR and it's deadly accurate. Don't know how it compares to a Volquartsen, but I find it to be super accurate and a great deal for the money.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    My dad bought a marlin bolt action in .17 HMR. (Couldn't tell you the model number.) It shoots nice, but working the bolt is super sloppy. Locks up nice, but just feels cheap. Shoots decent though. Probably 3 inch groups at 100 yards first day out.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Don't worry

I have, or have had, HMRs from Savage, Marlin, CZ, Ruger, T/C, and Anschutz. Bolt action, single shot, and semi-auto. Every one of them have been capable of shooting 1" at 100 yards. I would suggest you make your decision based on how much you want to spend and what looks/feels good to you.

mm5de88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Clinton In
    I have a Savage target model 17hmr shots great has a great trigger. I had a marlin bolt action 17hmr stay away from this gun poor quality & a heavy trigger

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    My son and I both have Savage 93s. I have a heavy barrel and sons is a standard barrel, both are tack drivers. We put BSA Sweet 17 scopes on our rifles really like them. Very good rifles for the money.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Savage BTVSS heavy barrel, accu-trigger. Sweetness ....

btvs02.jpg

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    The round itself is so accurate. I owned a marlin and a savage. The savage could hit a dime at 100 yards every time if there was no wind. A bull barrel and a nice scope with steady hands and you can shoot a ground hog in the eye. Any of them you can't go wrong, best bang for buck I would say savage hands down.

Enfieldno4mk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Shelbyville
    The round itself is so accurate. I owned a marlin and a savage. The savage could hit a dime at 100 yards every time if there was no wind. A bull barrel and a nice scope with steady hands and you can shoot a ground hog in the eye. Any of them you can't go wrong, best bang for buck I would say savage hands down.

Just curious. What about accuracy at say 200-300 yards?

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    It be honest if all I can do is a 1" group at a hundred yards than I might as well stay with my 10/22. I'm hoping to cut that in half.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Savage.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Like I said, I could keep a group the size of a dime, and I'm not great shot.

To answer your question about farther yards out its pretty hard. You can kill prairie dogs at 300 yards, but wind is your greatest enemy. With the bullet being so light, anything past 150-200 yards your bullet will be getting knocked around ( decent winds)

Honesty a savage with a bull barrel is going to get most novices a group the size of a quarter if they have a bi-pod. You can't go wrong with it

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It be honest if all I can do is a 1" group at a hundred yards than I might as well stay with my 10/22. I'm hoping to cut that in half.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Savage.

1/2moa out of a 22 is quite a task. ive got a couple dollars invested in my 22, and about 30,000 rds down range and have never gotten 1/2moa @ 100yds. i usually get 1 moa but not always

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I picked up my Savage .17 HMR bolt action about 10 years ago before they had the fancy triggers & it is still a tack driver. The only thing I don't like about it is the 5rd mags, I just wish they would make at least a 10rd for it.
    It is still so accurate that I can put 5rds in side a bottle cap at 100yds without even trying.
    Ooh, ten years ago it only cost $130 for that rifle so if you get a chance to buy one for under $300 it is still a good buy.
    The only rifle I have that comes close to that kind of accuracy is an $1800 AR.

Top Bottom