• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blondie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Get yourself a S&W 357 4in and some target loads and shoot a few hundred rounds, and keep it by your bed for home protection,who knows when you might get to practice.

Brian 45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    I would go to a local range and try some of the guns they have. The gun needs to feel right to you and we are all different ie. hand size, etc. Hold some and shoot some then get the one you think fit you the best otherwise you could find yourself trading it as almost new!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It all depends on what you want it for. You obviously mentioned self protection, but what are we talking about here? A nightstand gun, an iwb concealed carry gun, and an owb carry gun are three different tools. Choose the right tool for the job.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    First handgun needs to be a 22. Ruger is a good start. You need to shoot and shoot some more... ...snip

I wish someone would have said this to me when I got started!!!

I bought a 9mm for my first pistol...

You have to learn how to walk, then run.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wish someone would have said this to me when I got started!!!

I bought a 9mm for my first pistol...

You have to learn how to walk, then run.

The military gives thousands of people their very first exposure to firearms, and you only start with a 5.56 or 9mm.

No .22s anywhere.

Yet we still seem to have military folks that can occasionally hit a target or two.

You don't have to have training wheels to learn to ride a bike. You just have to be tolerant of some scrapes.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    While buying a .22lr for your first gun does have its advantages over buying a regular SD caliber gun, it's by no means the only way to go. My first handgun was a full size 1911 and it proved to be a great way to learn. It was not the cheapest way to learn, but with .22lr not being available at this moment, many of the advantages of the .22 have disappeared. In normal times, a .22lr is a great practice caliber because it's cheap and plentiful. Right now it's neither cheap nor plentiful, so there are better options.

One key to choosing a caliber is to figure out if you can shoot it enough to become comfortable with it. The current ammo shortage has tossed that equation up somewhat.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I just got a Taurus 24/7 G2 compact in 45 ACP and its very nice. The kicker for me was the fact that it came with both a standard and extended magazine. That way, I can use the extended at the range when size isn't as critical, and the standard for carrying.

JEeKyIR.jpg

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    The military gives thousands of people their very first exposure to firearms, and you only start with a 5.56 or 9mm.

No .22s anywhere.

Yet we still seem to have military folks that can occasionally hit a target or two.

You don't have to have training wheels to learn to ride a bike. You just have to be tolerant of some scrapes.

True but the military also gives some serious hands on training and countless hours of instruction even before firing the first round. Unless the OP will have a range instructor spending several hours/days with him, which I doubt, he'll be well served to learn the basics on a .22.

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    I would go with a 9mm for a first gun. cheaper to shoot... hollow points have plenty of stopping power. I have a sig 226 that I bought used from a police trade in program. It shoots great, is comfortable, and is an all around amazing gun. I recently bought a glock 19, which is a midsize glock and it is a 9mm as well. Both are awesome guns, but if you are going to carry it, I would go with the glock 19. Great guns, cheap, parts are always available, great customer service. Its a hard gun to beat.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    True but the military also gives some serious hands on training and countless hours of instruction even before firing the first round. Unless the OP will have a range instructor spending several hours/days with him, which I doubt, he'll be well served to learn the basics on a .22.

Not at all. Air Force boot camp folks get instruction in the morning and shoot in the afternoon for their initial qualification. Navy folks about the same. Only Army and Marines are somewhat intensive in their basic firearms training. Even then, it's not "countless hours of instruction."

Several in any given class will qualify as "expert" having never shot any firearm in their life before being handed an M16. This, with a whopping one morning's worth of formal instruction.

While I would agree that it does take years of good training to be a great tactical firearms expert, it does NOT take even more than a couple hours to be comfortable with a caliber larger than .22LR.

Almost anyone can handle 9mm recoil, and insisting they start at .22LR is a waste of time and money if they want a 9mm all along.

Buy what you want the first time, then learn to use it right.:twocents:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not at all. Air Force boot camp folks get instruction in the morning and shoot in the afternoon for their initial qualification.

Yup, my son shot once during BMT in the AF. And he was timed on field strip which is the only thing firearm related he really practiced.

navy4422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Lafayette
    I personally got the M&P40 full sized for S&W I enjoy it a lot and they make it in 9mm and compact if that's what you would prefer

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Not at all. Air Force boot camp folks get instruction in the morning and shoot in the afternoon for their initial qualification. Navy folks about the same. Only Army and Marines are somewhat intensive in their basic firearms training. Even then, it's not "countless hours of instruction."

Several in any given class will qualify as "expert" having never shot any firearm in their life before being handed an M16. This, with a whopping one morning's worth of formal instruction.

While I would agree that it does take years of good training to be a great tactical firearms expert, it does NOT take even more than a couple hours to be comfortable with a caliber larger than .22LR.

Almost anyone can handle 9mm recoil, and insisting they start at .22LR is a waste of time and money if they want a 9mm all along.

Buy what you want the first time, then learn to use it right.:twocents:

I did say military when I should have said Marine Corps. You're right some branches cram rifle training into one day. I suppose since I started on a .22 I reckon others do the same, but to each his own. May I now suggest the op buy whatever compact .45 he desires, after a couple hours he should be good to go.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had a glock 36 and had problems with it. I had read about FTFs and FTE but chose to turn a blind eye. Well, it started happening to my gun. At first I blamed the range or FMJ ammo. Then it did it a few times with my main carry, Speer Gold Dots. That was it for me. I sold to a fellow Ingoer with full disclosure. He said he's had a couple before and bought it from me.

An Evansville police officer and Glock armorer told me that the 36 used to be approved as a back up gun for the EPD. However they had so many problems that it was taken off the list. Just beware.

Incidently I love all other glocks that I've owned. I particularly like the safety button that physically blocks the firing pin until the trigger is pulled. I've had or have a 17, 19, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27 and 30. I never had any kind of failure on any except the 36. My main carry is the 23 with the 27 a close 2nd.

Top Bottom