• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Consider the Taurus PT145, I purchased one as my first handgun. I love carrying it. smaller than a glock and it's got the same capacity. Over 1000 rounds through it and no problems. Take the extra couple hundred bucks you are going to spend on the glock and get a holster and a lot of ammo!

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I carry and love my Kahr CW9 (9mm). Very light and very thin. Shoots great and the CW line is affordable. Worth the time to do the research and add to your list.

SWAT-DOC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The Taurus P1911 is a great gun for the money...my daughter just picked one up at the Fort Wayne gun show for just a little over $500 we shot it the same day...I was completely impressed and she loves it. It shot as well as my Springfield V-12 from the custom shop. It has all the bells that we usually spend a lot of $$ adding after the purchase.

DOC

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The Taurus P1911 is a great gun for the money...my daughter just picked one up at the Fort Wayne gun show for just a little over $500 we shot it the same day...I was completely impressed and she loves it. It shot as well as my Springfield V-12 from the custom shop. It has all the bells that we usually spend a lot of $$ adding after the purchase.

DOC

I have one too. Aren't they just an underrated jewel? I bought mine in December new for $529, plus the $75 rebate which dropped the actual price to $454! For a 1911 that has more nice features than you can get for three times that price.

wtrownsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    First gun I owned was a Tarus 24/7. I bought it on its reputation, but hated the trigger pull. It was long and hard. I must admit that I'M picky about trigger pull. I traded it in on a Sig as soon as I could - just reinforces the policy of always shoot one before you buy it if you can.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    It's interesting to hear the 1911 vs Glock debate - I had to make this decision last year. I had a Dan Wesson CBOB - and sold it several months after getting a Glock 19. The Glock is lighter and holds more ammo, and I just shoot it better. I think it's the perfect carry gun.

I have a Taurus PT1911 in stainless steel and haven't been too impressed with it. The frame and slide seem well constructed and fitted but the internal parts seem cheap and aren't fitted well. The bushing to barrel fit was abysmal, trigger pull is heavy, I don't like the series 80 stuff, the ambi safety fell apart and I couldn't stand the full length guide rod (which began to loosen and come in half; replaced it with standard GI setup). I don't think I'd buy it again if I had to choose.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I thought about the compact M&P (9mm) when I was looking, but didn't like the feel of it in my hand. It felt as though it my pop-out of my grip if I fired it.

Considering there wasn't much space advantage with the compact M&P, I decided to just go with the full size.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    How are you liking the XD45C? Review post-purchase?

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Even being unemployed, its amazing how busy you can get. :dunno:

Been getting familiar with it at home though. Been doing some dry fire practice and such. Gun came with the 10 round mag, two of the 13 round mags with the grip extentions, the XD gear, Trijicon night sights installed, and a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster. I have been try out the different holsters. The XD belt holster sucks. The double mag pouch is nice enough for what its for. I will have to get a different OWB holster for it. For any gun I carry, I like having an IWB holster for summer use to cover with a T shirt, and an OWB for winter use that a big sweatshirt or coat can cover. The Summer Comfort IWB seems like a nice holster. Might have to get one for my G19. May have to get some XS Big Dots installed down the road if I keep it. I really like them on my G19.

Overall the XD45c seems like a nice gun. Really close in size to my G19, and 10+1 of .45 with the short mag. I'll get some pics up since everybody always wants to see pics. :D

CaptB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    there is absolutly nothing wrong with an upgrade to a 1911. Dependable, accurate, and a "man stopper". The only catch is that you have to spend some time with the gun and make sure you are familiar with it. Not a good choice for beginners.

buck119

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    South East Indiana
    My full time CCW is a Kel-tec pf-9 9mm. You'll get a lot of mixed reports on this pistol, but I absolulely love mine. 500 + rounds through it with no jams, suprisingly accurate for a three inch barrel, holds 7+1, less than one inch wide, weighs around 17 ounces fully loaded. If you get the chance, rent one at a range, borrow one etc and see what you think. The only slight drawback imo is its massive recoil. it's a 9mm, kicks like a .357 as light weight as it is.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Kinda bringing an old thread to back to life. :horse:

Went out and shot the XD45c today. Shot really good. It fed 230 gr. FMJ and JHP with no problems. Was happy to see it be very accurate, and not be too bad on the recoil. I ordered a Don Hume H721 OT holster for it and my G19. These holsters are really nice, and only cost $40. I would highly recommend them.

I will say this, the XD is no Glock. I took my G19 out as well, and I still prefer the Glock to the XD. Could be the 9MM not recoiling as bad, I don't know. I am planning on keeping the XD for now, but I could see myself selling or trading for a G30SF or a G36 in the future.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I thought about the compact M&P (9mm) when I was looking, but didn't like the feel of it in my hand. It felt as though it my pop-out of my grip if I fired it.

Considering there wasn't much space advantage with the compact M&P, I decided to just go with the full size.

I think the 9c is much easier to tote concealed than the full size 9. I used to have the full size and recently picked up the 9c. Very easy to carry. The size of the full size M&P 9 is the only reason I traded it at the time (for a G19).

I think the grip on the 9c is great for a compact pistol, but everyone has their own preferences. Either way you can't go wrong with a M&P, they are great guns.

mAk0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    I owned the precursor to the 24/7 models, a Millennium PT 140 Pro. It was not a bad carry piece by any means, even in a cheap holster at 2 o'clock. Taurus also offers a lifetime warranty regardless of whether you are the first owner or not. I've since purchased the XD 45 compact and find it to be quite nice aswell as similar to the Glock platform you are carrying. I considered both and chose the XD. Hope this helps. Good luck whatever you choose!

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I have to throw out my old standby...I wanted a G19 but with .45 power. I got a G38 and LOVE it. Buying online or reloading throws out the ammo argument. Everything else is moot. It's amazing. Less snappy than my G19, or a G23. More accurate in my hands.

Top Bottom