• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I'm looking at getting my first AR-15 and I'm trying to keep the price of the rifle to under $1000. I know I will end up spending quite a bit on Optics, backup sights, and mags.
    I want to keep it chambered in 5.56, so I can shoot both .223 and 5.56.

What should I look for in barrel twist?
    Are polymer lowers reliable as Aluminum lowers?
    I was looking at Windham Weaponry, Sig M&P, and Colt's.

What else should I look at prior to getting my AR.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Copy and paste from other thread.............

Congrats on wanting to buy your first AR15.
    Read, read, read some more, then ask questions. Starting off asking questions without some research will just leave you confused by the amount of different answers you will get.

First, I'd browse the picture thread at the top of the forum. Get an idea of what you like/want/have questions about.

What will be the purpose of this AR? Range fun? SHTF?

Stick with 5.56 and forget about those piston AR's for now.

Many will recommend "building" your first, but I'd recommend buying your first. Get to know it inside and out.
    Start with a good rifle, not something on the lower end of the scale, price wise and quality wise.

You can't beat the Colt 6920 if you are looking for a M4 style carbine IMHO, and it is what I'd suggest looking at.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Why do you recommend avoiding piston AR's?
    The main purpose of this is Defense/SHTF. Secondary is always range fun.

There are no "standards". Every design is just a bit different. When you need parts, are you going to be able to get them for whatever piston system is on your rifle?
    With regular direct impingement, parts are standard.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    There are no "standards". Every design is just a bit different. When you need parts, are you going to be able to get them for whatever piston system is on your rifle?

That is understandable.

What about using a Poly lower vs an all metal lower, are there issues with life time and reliability?

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville

+100, I also looked hard into a piston setup but if it is your only rifle and you brake anything it will be trouble since you will have to find the parts and get them shipped, with DI local shops have parts locally and cheaper not to mention if you buy a quality rifle don't have to worry about much.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    That is understandable.

What about using a Poly lower vs an all metal lower, are there issues with life time and reliability?

Unless you are building a "toy", I'd stay away from the poly and carbon fiber lowers.

This is one of my defensive/SHTF rifles

dressed up for "fun"

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Ok Thanks. I will be looking pretty close at the Colt 6920. Looking around pretty quick I'm seeing the 6920's for about 1200.
    Would that be a pretty good price for the 6920?

What is the major difference between Carbine and "standard" rifles? It looks like the only difference is the length of the gas system.

I'm also seeing 1:9 and 1:7 barrels. What is the big difference in the twist rate other then one has a slower twist.

sniper102

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    NWI
    Buy a psa complete upper and get a stripped lower. You can build a nice rifle for under a grand. If you want to get a piston upper then stick with H&K. They are pricey but battle proven.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    Why are S&W builds so much cheaper than the others?? I mean everyone knows the quality of a S&W firearm ie M&P. So are they a good deal or not? Starting out they seem good, and finding parts shouldn't be difficult I would think?

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    You can buy a complete PSA rifle for under $800.00, there was an ad for one not to long ago for $750.00. I have a mid length carbine and it's a sweet rifle for the money and you still have left $200.00 for ammo.

Silverslider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    i am a proud owner of a polymer lower and also aluminums. i have had no issues with my New Frontier polymer lower after 100s of rounds. the wifes likes it as it is a little lighter. with the prices of lowers at rock bottom, there is not much price difference if you shop around. i have a Windham and it is a solid rifle

so to answer you questions.
    is a polymer as reliable? in my opinion yes
    Windham, Sig, etc. all good choices. colt's probably hold their value better
    other things to think about is setup. i prefer SRCs

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My vote goes to PSA also! Check them out… So many options with value on the dollar however you go with them IMO

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    I have a colt 6920 and love it. Nice less expensive rifles include. Ccmg, stag arms, spikes tactical and many others. As far as lowers goes I have no opinion on poly lowers I do not know a lot about them. You can buy a complete stag or spikes lower for 350 including your paper work cost on a shipped item and your upper the sky is the limit. Personally I think lowers are pretty much all the same you just want to make sure your upper is good quality. Colts are great for one thing aside being a very nice rifle, you will normally get as much as you have in it if you decide to sell it, other brands resell value just do not stack up the same. My buddy has had several s &w ar's which I shot and all were nice I was not a fan of the sporter but it was not terrible it just looked and felt cheap. Just keep in mind when you are wanting to spend some $$$ that a rifle is nothing but a paper weight without ammo so dont blow your whole load on the rifle and buy 50 rounds of ammo it will just pissed you off.

sescbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I would also recommend checking out PSA. I recently bought a completed lower & a completed upper w/BCG & CH all for around $560 shipped. Only drawback is their shipping is not the fastest.
    They have many options to choose from so if you are patient you can get what you want for a decent price.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I would also recommend checking out PSA. I recently bought a completed lower & a completed upper w/BCG & CH all for around $560 shipped. Only drawback is their shipping is not the fastest.
    They have many options to choose from so if you are patient you can get what you want for a decent price.

TRUTH!!!

I got this by getting the upper and lower from PSA just when they came on sale.
    IMG_20140205_175519_zps60557e23.jpg

$548 total out the door price, not counting mags.

I just picked up the same lower but in black for number 2

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    As some others have stated, the polymer lowers are still a bit 'newish', I like tried and true and would stick with traditional aluminum at this time. In your price range I'd probably look at plain-Jane models from makers including S&W, Delton, Doublestar and probably some others (certainly nothing wrong with Colt if you can get one in your price range). I'd try to stick with a chrome lined 16 inch barrel in 5.56 mm, most seem to regard a 1 in 7 twist as your best bet for all around use, but others may have different opinions. I built my AR's, which is terrific if you are so inclined. It's mainly just a matter of some straightforward assembly, no great skills needed. In my experience, building won't save you any money after you add up all the ancillary crap, but it is a good way to get exactly what you want and you will learn a bit as you fumble through the process. No right answer.

Top Bottom