Looking for metal recyclers to get rid of brass.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drumsscott

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carmel
    I’m in the process of selling my reloading equipment and several pistols including my 1975 6” Nickel Colt Python.

But before I start working toward that goal I have 2 full 5 gallon buckets of assorted dirty brass mostly .223 & .45 I would like to move out of my garage.

Is there a metal recycling center on the north side of Indianapolis where I can sell it that you might recommend?

Thank you

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Small drive, cross roads recycling in franklin. Pro 2a guy is the owner.

I have only taken brass that had copper on it, not sure what he pays for pure brass.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I’m in the process of selling my reloading equipment and several pistols including my 1975 6” Nickel Colt Python.

But before I start working toward that goal I have 2 full 5 gallon buckets of assorted dirty brass mostly .223 & .45 I would like to move out of my garage.

Is there a metal recycling center on the north side of Indianapolis where I can sell it that you might recommend?

Thank you

I’ll buy it from you by the bucket.

canebreaker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    2 years ago I sold 2 buckets of mixed brass to the local scrapyard with primers decapped, with berdans mixed in for $1.35 per lb. Early spring this year we visited the Sardis, MS gun range to check about having a Meet & Greet. We went to the range to find all lane buckets were full, 2 to 6 barrels were full on the pistol, 50 yd and 100 yd rifle lines. We brought home 4 buckets from the pistol and 3 buckets from the rifle lines. Steel was mixed in with other scrap, aluminum was crushed in cans.
    I placed ads on a few websites. Dirty 9mm 2 cents each plus shipping. Sold 1 medium flat rate box. A full medium flat rate box of .380, 38spl, 357, 40S&W, 45 ACP for 2 cents each finishing the box with 44's, 45 colt, 444 Mar, 270 and 308 for 5 cents each plus shipping. With lots of 9mm, 223/556 berdans left over.
    I checked at the 3 local scrapyards. We don't buy ammo brass. I check with all the scrapyards in Memphis, TN. We don't buy ammo brass. Called a few indoor ranges in the area. We don't have a buyer. One said Midwest, Midwest what? Now they carry Midwest reloads. I'll look them up today.
    Thinking about building a furnace. Most on UT are low heat for lead and aluminum. One had brass. Might have got it to 1,000 degrees since the ingot was beat from the pot instead of poured. Might need 1,050 to 1,100 for a good flow into ingots. Heat source might give me 50 to 75% of going price.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    2 years ago I sold 2 buckets of mixed brass to the local scrapyard with primers decapped, with berdans mixed in for $1.35 per lb. Early spring this year we visited the Sardis, MS gun range to check about having a Meet & Greet. We went to the range to find all lane buckets were full, 2 to 6 barrels were full on the pistol, 50 yd and 100 yd rifle lines. We brought home 4 buckets from the pistol and 3 buckets from the rifle lines. Steel was mixed in with other scrap, aluminum was crushed in cans.
    I placed ads on a few websites. Dirty 9mm 2 cents each plus shipping. Sold 1 medium flat rate box. A full medium flat rate box of .380, 38spl, 357, 40S&W, 45 ACP for 2 cents each finishing the box with 44's, 45 colt, 444 Mar, 270 and 308 for 5 cents each plus shipping. With lots of 9mm, 223/556 berdans left over.
    I checked at the 3 local scrapyards. We don't buy ammo brass. I check with all the scrapyards in Memphis, TN. We don't buy ammo brass. Called a few indoor ranges in the area. We don't have a buyer. One said Midwest, Midwest what? Now they carry Midwest reloads. I'll look them up today.
    Thinking about building a furnace. Most on UT are low heat for lead and aluminum. One had brass. Might have got it to 1,000 degrees since the ingot was beat from the pot instead of poured. Might need 1,050 to 1,100 for a good flow into ingots. Heat source might give me 50 to 75% of going price.
    What gun range are you speaking of in Sardis? I'm at my aunts home on Sardis Lake Dr at the moment..
    Hunters Hollow out on on the highway?

canebreaker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    McIvor, about 8 miles west of town. Open Fri, Sat, Sun noon till 6 pm. About $20 to shoot per day.
    Are you down here loading up on crappie?
    Doctor visit today, hope to have impact and wave action restrictions removed. I'm antsy to get out.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    McIvor, about 8 miles west of town. Open Fri, Sat, Sun noon till 6 pm. About $20 to shoot per day.
    Are you down here loading up on crappie?
    Doctor visit today, hope to have impact and wave action restrictions removed. I'm antsy to get out.
    Thanks. I'll roll over and see in on Fri then.
    I need to stop an see that Hunters Hollow store also.
    No fishing this trip. I'm really a brackish or salt water fisherman.
    I should still be here this weekend. We went into Oxford for dinner last night, of all the great places to eat my aunt said Chow King buffet. lol. OK Carol.

I have a cousin in Olive Branch, he's a dispatcher with FedEx.

canebreaker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    In all my travels through Oxford to my hometown of Bruce I've never stopped at Hunters Hollow.
    When my granddaughter went to Ole Miss she worked at Winchester, used a paint brush to sweep powder from around presses and dump back into hoppers. When she started she could get a brick of 22's for $5, 1 per week. $8 her senior year. I'd give her $5 more.
    Not really sure of the job title my grandson has at FedX. On his shift he collects all the hazmat cargo, makes sure it on the right flight and tells the pilots what's in each container and where it located on the plane. Body parts up front, gun related stuff in the rear. Yep, our government can ship where we can't.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I just got lowballed at MetalX here in Fort Wayne. I'll never waste my time again here. I dumped a hundred or so pieces in my recycle bin and the lazy bastage dumped them out in front of my driveway. In the trash they go. Primers, brass, everything.

canebreaker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    bgcatty, I'm 74, most gun site want a photo for ads. I don't care to learn how to post them. Look back at my post #8. I reload 9mm for my sons, the local Range USA will do deals, price per box and specials when buying more. Time wasted getting lower than their price. I like to stay less than 50% on my reloads.
    Between 2005 and 2009 I worked at Stones River Gun Range east of Nashville, TN as a safety officer. We would collect brass, separate, polish and bag per 100. Small pistol was 3 cents, large pistol and rifle were 5 cents. Since the brass I collect is from an outdoor range, dirty I offer it for the same price. 9mm is plentiful and offer it for 2 cents each plus shipping. If I see a post about wanting brass I'll contact them. Most of the time someone will see my post like this one and contact me. A 52 mile trip to the range for free brass, my time separating, bagging and boxing, time spent shipping I'm not making a living from it, just passing a deal onto others. I use packing tape on outside of box to reduce breakage.
    From another state's gun website a member contacted me wanting all my 380, 38spl, 357 mag, 40S&W, 45 auto, 44spl and mags, 45 colt, 243, 22-250, 308, 7.62X51 and 30-06. I packed a medium flat rate box, sent him the cost. Waited for his payment. He sent me cash, $20 more than my price. I offered to return it. No, it's well worth the price

canebreaker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Creed, see if I can get my granddaughter to bring me down Friday about noon for us to meet. I'll look for IN tag. We'll be in a Honda with Desoto County handicap tag. I'll have a cane or wheelchair. Bring a few buckets and carry casings back home. Don't know if we'll shoot. I have a new to me 38spl I'd like to try out.

Reactions: Mij

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Creed, see if I can get my granddaughter to bring me down Friday about noon for us to meet. I'll look for IN tag. We'll be in a Honda with Desoto County handicap tag. I'll have a cane or wheelchair. Bring a few buckets and carry casings back home. Don't know if we'll shoot. I have a new to me 38spl I'd like to try out.
    Sounds like a plan. I'll be in a 2020? Gray Chevy Malibu.
    I'm not going to shoot. The only gun I have with me is my traveling pos carry.
    I'll send you a pm with my cell.
    Thanks

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jrde409
    Top Bottom