• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My wife's father has been talking about wanting a Judge for some time, We have decided to start saving to buy him one for his birthday or Xmas.

I was hoping anyone who had one, has shot one, or just knows a little about them could post some links/info about them. I am wondering about various brands, prices, etc. Really anything about them as I know nothing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My wife's father has been talking about wanting a Judge for some time, We have decided to start saving to buy him one for his birthday or Xmas.

I was hoping anyone who had one, has shot one, or just knows a little about them could post some links/info about them. I am wondering about various brands, prices, etc. Really anything about them as I know nothing.

Oh, that kind of judge. I expected something about the kind that wears a goofy robe while twisting the law.

On a more serious note, I would suggest that anything of that nature you consider, you should check the rifling to get the straightest (least twist) possible. You cannot have a smooth bore handgun since that would be an NFA weapon (short shotgun) but as you can imagine, twist in the barrel makes donut shaped patterns with anything other than buckshot large enough to go full bore or nearly so and serve as a line of single projectiles rather than shot in the conventional sense.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Ive got a 3" chambered Judge and I like it alot. Only problems Ive had with it is with a full cylinder of 3" #7's it doesnt want to rotate sometimes because of the weight (at least why I assume its not spinning). But its definitely my favorite "walk around in the woods gun".

A friend of mine has a S&W Governer. I havent shot but he loves it. As far as I know though, he just says its better than the Judge because its what he has.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I know that they are more money, and I've shot both but, owned neither, BUT it seems that Smith and Wesson worked out a little of the issues that Taurus had with the Judge when they came out with the Governor.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I have a S&W Governor, I'm a big fan of S&W so I'm definitly going to lean in favor of the Governor. I like the fact that it will shoot 45acp in addition to the 45colt and 410 rounds that the Judge is limited to. Less recoil and cost shooting 45acp rather than shooting 45colt and 410 shotgun rounds. They are fun guns, but can also serve useful as a personal or home defense weapon if that is what you have available.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I have a S&W Governor, I'm a big fan of S&W so I'm definitly going to lean in favor of the Governor. I like the fact that it will shoot 45acp in addition to the 45colt and 410 rounds that the Judge is limited to. Less recoil and cost shooting 45acp rather than shooting 45colt and 410 shotgun rounds. They are fun guns, but can also serve useful as a personal or home defense weapon if that is what you have available.

Especially with the moon clips for the ACP rounds, quick reloads :rockwoot:

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Here are the Judges I have in my book.

Taurus Judge .45/.410

Action: Double/Single action revolver
    Grips: Taurus Ribber Grips
    Barrel: 3 in.
    Weight: 29 oz.
    Caliber: .45/.410
    Capacity: 5-rounds
    Features: Firing pin block, transfer bar saefty, compact frame, matted stainless steel finish, steel construction
    MSRP.....$592

Taurus Judge Public Defender

Action: Double-action revolver
    Grips: Rubber
    Barrel: 2.5 in.
    Weight: 28.2 oz.
    Features: Blue finish, firing pin block, transfer bar, available in carbon steel or stainless steel frame with the option of a titanium cylinder, features a reduced profile hammer.
    MSRP.....$570

Taurus Judge Public Defender

Action: Revolver
    Barrel 2 in.
    Sights: Fixed
    Weight: 26 oz.
    Caliber: .410GA/.45LC
    Features: Titanium construction, blue steel finish, carbon steel and stainless steel frame, double and single action, optional titanium cylinder, features a reduced profile hammer.
    MSRP.....$570

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I have the Ported Barrel Judge with a Pic Rail. Its been a fine gun and I really enjoy shooting it. Its our go to gun for HD as well as when we go camping.

The S&W Governor looks badass too! Either one will make Pops happy!

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    How is the S&W Governor? Have you shot one?

<<<<<< There it is

I've shot the gun, It is very manageable shooting both the 410 and 45 colt, which recoil wise, feel about the same. The 45 acp has very little felt recoil. The gun, like any gun is going to be as accurate as the shooter, bear in mind it does have a short barrel, so it's intended job is up close and personal. I think for a short barrel shotshell shooter, it doesn't pattern too bad.

I found a little YouTube video, there are a lot of them out there, but this one shows 6 rounds in a target using shotshells.

[ame]http://youtu.be/aq9aeWaAR0Q[/ame]

Last edited:

cschnaufer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I've got a Judge with a 3in Barrel. I've had issues with the cylinder revolving with .410 rounds. Also my wife cannot fire it due to it's size. Other than those quibbles it's a great gun and a blast to shoot.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My wife has owned a Judge for over three years now and she loves it. It shoots 45Colt and .410 both very well. The criticisms that I have read about the Judge come from those who have not owned one. There is no way my wife would part with hers.

Terry

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    Love the Judge. Fun to shoot. Can even do hand thrown clays with .410 bird shot which is a lot of fun. .45 LC is expensive and I'm not sure it would be more effective than .410 in special defense loads for self defense. No experience with the Governor but know it will also takes .45 APC in half moon clips...

tboat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Kirklin
    A buddy of mine at work has one. He didn't have it very long and something broke on it. He returned it to Taurus and they fixed it and returned it promptly. Since then he hasn't had any more problems with it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    The Judges come in all shapes and sizes. Probably the best deal on the Taurus Judge is the polymer model. It is a short barrel , light judge that should sell for around 399.99. Its easy to carry and light.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Taurus Judge .45/.410

Action: Double/Single action revolver
    Grips: Taurus Ribber Grips
    Barrel: 3 in.
    Weight: 29 oz.
    Features: Firing pin block, transfer bar saefty, compact frame, matted stainless steel finish, steel construction
    MSRP.....$592

I have this in the 6" Barrel and love it!! This the one you want. I carry this one on the farm in a bandoleer. Great all around weapon.

Top Bottom