• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggym6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    I am looking for my first CC pistol. I have shot a few 40 and 45. Mostly S&W. I was hoping to get a few suggestions on to what to look for when buying and what not.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    #1 and most important:

MAKE SURE IT FIT'S YOUR HAND

You have to be comfortable using it AND carrying it, or you will do neither, and it will be worthless to you.

These are my suggestions. I'm not going to be the one to say "look at this gun or look at that one" because it depends on what you like.

Keep in mind though whether you want a manual safety, to be able to carry cocked and locked, or if you want a striker fired weapon with only a trigger safety and/or grip safety.

Those are the things I tell everyone to look at FIRST.

biggym6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    That you cru, I wasnt really looking for a brand of pistol to buy more or less features that I should look for. I will definatly keep in mind those safety features.
    Littletommy, I'm looking for something in the price range of 400-800. I have shot a few handguns and am somewhat familar with them, but am by no means experienced. so Im just looking for some advice.

biggym6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    At work is not really an option. its more or lease for when Im off work. And for that I dress normaly in jeans and a button down shirt or tieshirt.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    Like Cru said, its gotta be something that fits your hand. Most of the present day handguns in your price range will do the job well. Given your dresswear that you stated, I would suggest at looking towards compact and subcompact sized semiautos or a good snub nose revolver. I would also like to recommend taking a basic pistol class after you purchase your firearm, so that you can become more familiar with your pistol and how to safely handle it. congrats on looking to make your first CC pistol purchase!

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Shop around and take your time. Find what fits your hand the best and has the best feel. That is the most important thing. My Dad has a M&Pc and it is a great little pistol. Also, a lot of people on here are willing to let you try their guns, if they have something you are looking at :yesway:.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Shop around and take your time. Find what fits your hand the best and has the best feel. That is the most important thing. My Dad has a M&Pc and it is a great little pistol. Also, a lot of people on here are willing to let you try their guns, if they have something you are looking at :yesway:.

Good point, I don't know your location but if you were at a range near me, I would let you shoot my EDC. I'm sure other ingo members would do the same. (FYI I carry a full size which might/ might not be right for you)

But spend time researching what you like. Go to Gander Mtn and fondle everything (well at least all the guns) once you have an idea, ask around about what people who have shot them.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    I carry a kahr mk9 usually - inside the belt holster, just to the right of my belt buckle. as far as concealability goes I never have had a problem, even with shorts and a tshirt. I have about 6 holsters for the gun and use the one that is most comfortable at the time/ dress. I think a good holster or 2 is important if youre going to carry all the time.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    No matter what you what to get or end up getting (money wise) make sure there are plenty of options out there for holsters. A good carry gun is worthless without a superb holster matched to it.

biggym6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    No matter what you what to get or end up getting (money wise) make sure there are plenty of options out there for holsters. A good carry gun is worthless without a superb holster matched to it.

Is there a certain band or make that you could suggest for a holster?

darkwang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Michiana
    I own a keltec PF-9 and Taurus 738 TCP I know a lot of guys probably dont agree with my choice,but I LOVE them both and have never had a FTE or FTF in over 300 rounds on each now. Find myself almost always carrying the TCP in summer in pocket. Its fantastic. Winter is easy to carry either.

Top Bottom